Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am So, time will tell of course, but battery life at 80-90% of original capacity might be good for 10-12 years, by which time a subsequent owner of a £5-10K car with 100K+ on the clock will probably decide that 70-80% capacity is perfectly acceptable for the next 3-5 years.
Tesla are giving an 8 year (120K mile) powertrain warranty on the Model 3. Model S/X are 8 year unlimited mileage. That's enough to see the car down to a minimal residual value and then, as you say, the batteries are still likely to be operational, except maybe with 80% of their initial range. Early Tesla Roadsters are still going strong and there are battery upgrade options now starting to appear for those. The EV market will mature over the next decade, with a battery servicing industry to support it.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Battery tech certainly seems to be improving; Renault / Nissan no longer appear to be leasing the battery as a separate item to the rest of the car as was the case from the outset.
Thus would suggest to me that they are now confident enough in the battery to pass the responsability back to the customer.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am
Frenchy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:23 pm I am very tempted by an EV, waiting for the mission E cross tourismo

How much to change the batteries ?
The model 3 will be better next year thanks to SW update, sure but what will be the residual for a 6/7 yrs old Tesla ?
I did read about a year ago that a replacement battery pack was c$12,000 but it was also stated to be a moot point as the battery pack is expected to last 9 - 12 years.

That said as more and more EVs come on to the market battery production will ramp up and economies of scale come into play, no doubt also compatible packs will come into play. Its not as though the Tesla has unique cells, the individual cells are supposedly AA sized and originally of Panasonic design.

Residual value is an unknown, but no doubt the cost of replacement battery pack will play factor in depressing the trade in and future forecourt price.

Personally whilst running costs may well be substantively lower than ICE power, once battery replacement is factored in it may well be similar.

No doubt battery insurance or hire options will come into play.

Swapping over a battery pack on a Tesla S can be undertaken in less time than it takes to fill up an ICE with fuel, at least that is what the promo video showed.
Very few Tesla owners have had to pay for a replacement battery pack and it's a total non-issue when buying a new one. When you buy a new Macan or a 911, you don't factor in the cost of a replacement engine or full rebuild in 10+ years time when you are looking at 3 or 4 year fully warranted ownership. But there are plenty of 996 and early 997 Carreras on replacement or rebuilt engines due to the infamous IMS failures and those were occurring as low as 40K miles. So it's not like an ICE powertrain is guaranteed to last forever or is cheap to maintain in good condition over 100K miles. My experience of classic 911s shows that you need to keep writing large cheques to keep them going long term, lol.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:50 pm Just watched this excellent owner review of the Model 3. Puts many of the tired old motoring hacks to shame and probably reflects the way the younger generation view cars. It's not the American Tesla fanboy view you might expect at the start, the guy is pretty smart and critical. It's the best demo of the touchscreen interface I've seen so far too. I think the car looks great.

Cheers for posting the link.

I have just watched the vid and am exhausted, that guy just did not take a breath.

Very impressed with the review and also with the car itself.

NERD alert

The guy gives some actuals that he has found.

60 minutes of home charging gives a 30 mile range

23.4 kWh / 100 miles,

So number crunching at a typical cost of electricity of say 12p per kWh gives a cost of:-

£2.81 / 100 miles

Or

£8.24 / 300 miles

Not sure how much using a Tesla Supercharger costs for an X or will cost for a Model 3.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 am
Peteski wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:50 pm Just watched this excellent owner review of the Model 3. Puts many of the tired old motoring hacks to shame and probably reflects the way the younger generation view cars. It's not the American Tesla fanboy view you might expect at the start, the guy is pretty smart and critical. It's the best demo of the touchscreen interface I've seen so far too. I think the car looks great.

Cheers for posting the link.

I have just watched the vid and am exhausted, that guy just did not take a breath.

Very impressed with the review and also with the car itself.

NERD alert

The guy gives some actuals that he has found.

60 minutes of home charging gives a 30 mile range

23.4 kWh / 100 miles,

So number crunching at a typical cost of electricity of say 12p per kWh gives a cost of:-

£2.81 / 100 miles

Or

£8.24 / 300 miles

Not sure how much using a Tesla Supercharger costs for an X or will cost for a Model 3.
Glad you liked it, it's the best review I've seen of the car so far and gave a good impression of what it's actually like to live with on a daily basis.

Your number crunching looks about right, but most owners of a relatively large battery EV would opt for an E7 tariff, making overnight charging considerably cheaper at around 8p/kWh. Although the day rate would go up to around 15 p/kWh so the balance depends on how much electricity you use during the day. I'm currently on a flat rate 11 p/kWh, but seriously considering switching to E7.

Tesla Superchargers are free for my X, but there will be a cost for Model 3 use. I expect it will be considerably higher than domestic rates, but still way cheaper than petrol/diesel. In practice I hardly ever use Superchargers, but they are a nice bonus on longer family trips, which are effectively zero fuel cost!

I can certainly see us buying a Model 3 as a second car that is still reasonably practical for family use. But the X is proving to be an amazing family wagon, especially now I've got the bike rack attached 8-)

IMG_4525.jpg

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

What's the purple bike ?
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm What's the purple bike ?
A Juliana Roubion (Women's specific version of a Santa Cruz Bronson).

https://www.julianabicycles.com/en/de/roubion

It's a very nice bike. I like the frame design a little more than my Enduro.