Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm I don't like contrast stitching either but I also prefer functional buttons to touch screens particularly as it is easy to push a button on the move but much less easy to control a touchscreen interface. I don't want an interior that looks like a boardroom but I do want a comfortable, ergonomic interior with a premium feel.

I think Tesla could achieve this fairly easily without any cost implication if they understood that the entire world wasn't populated by Americans.
I'm definitely not American! The reality of the Tesla interface is that it's actually pretty ergonomic and while driving you don't often have to take your hands off the wheel. Out of interest what buttons are you pressing while driving? In a Tesla you don't need to press anything really and there are a few buttons and scroll wheels on the steering wheel, voice control for the media, conventional column stalks and window buttons etc. On a motorway or dual carriageway you don't even have to drive the thing! It's all very simple and relaxing for everyday driving and the power delivery is awesome.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm I don't like contrast stitching either...

VanB, have you been in a 991 GTS with the full GTS interior including Alcantara and deviated stitching?

I saw one at Cambridge when I picked up my Carrera T. I love my Carrera T interior (with deviated stitching) and the GTS interior looked at least as good! 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 pm Interiors are very much a matter of personal taste just like the decor of someone's house. Personally I find Tesla's interiors quite bland, spartan and utilitarian which, as someone has said elsewhere, is probably just like the Swedish approach.

It doesn't make it wrong but, for me, it doesn't have a premium feel in line with the price point that these cars sell at. This is in line with comments from both of my friends who drive a Model S but they are both over 35!
Exactly.

Teslas have a premium price tag but they simply are not premium cars, theybare only 1/2 way there, no soft comforting leather, no exquisite feel of the materials, no suptious interior.

Just a plain simple interior with seating to match, more a Ford interior that a luxury motor.

That does not make them a bad car, they are different and all Teslas internally remind me of a Beamer i3, stripped out and utilitarian.

Yes the more I think about it Tesla is the Citroen 2 CV of the 21st Century.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

If they can sell 4 million units of just one derivative over the next 40 years (like the 2CV) then they won’t be doing too badly!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 pm
VanB wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm I don't like contrast stitching either...

VanB, have you been in a 991 GTS with the full GTS interior including Alcantara and deviated stitching?

I saw one at Cambridge when I picked up my Carrera T. I love my Carrera T interior (with deviated stitching) and the GTS interior looked at least as good! 8-)
Maybe I’m a bit staid but I’m not really a fan of bling and I also wonder what the stitching will look like in the drivers area after a few months. Oh and yes I have seen and sat in one and didn’t think it worked well in the 911 but regretted not getting it in the Macan. Go figure as they say across the pond!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Will keep you posted on how my Racing Yellow stitching looks as time goes by! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm Teslas have a premium price tag but they simply are not premium cars, theybare only 1/2 way there, no soft comforting leather, no exquisite feel of the materials, no suptious interior.
I disagree with all that. The premium synthetic leather in my Tesla is super soft and luxurious. The rest of the touch points feel nice too. I'm no stranger to Porsche interiors and I think this is every bit as premium, just in a completely different style. The standard Tesla interior is definitely a bit cheaper in feel, but so are base Porsche interiors, often with cheap plastic trim in prominent places - usually with expensive upgrade options to cover up with leather. I would say that if you tick every interior upgrade box on a Porsche (which would cost ££££s) you would end up with something more "premium" than a Tesla, but then you still have a relatively dated user-interface and more closed-in cabin ambience.

A friend of mine wandered into the Bentley showroom recently and was shocked to see wonky stitching on the seats and poor panel fits (Brand expectation etc) So he asked them if that was typical and the best response they could come up with was "we would make sure every detail was up to one's expectations before delivery". Obviously the showroom car hadn't been through this process yet.

But anyway, premium isn't just about interior material choices and panel gaps. It's about the whole car design and Tesla are very much premium, cutting edge EVs and the current benchmark for all premium EVs. That you can't really argue about. Everyone else is comparing their upcoming 2018/19/20 "premium" EVs to Tesla, so they must be doing something right. My X is approaching 4 K miles and nothing is rattling, squeaking or falling off and everything works perfectly. My family are all totally in love with being driven around in it too, which is what really matters for a family car!
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm Yes the more I think about it Tesla is the Citroen 2 CV of the 21st Century.
Well they both share minimalist design philosophy, but beyond that they have nothing in common really. The 2CV was all about low tech, Teslas are packed with high tech solutions.
Macman

Post by Macman »

I don’t think you can equate US sales of any vehicle with what might happen over here. Most of them drive pick up trucks, unlike over here.

I fall firmly in the over 35 category and I don’t find Tesla’s in the remotest bit interesting. They have one redeeming feature, a very impressive 0-60 time. Some of them look very 1990s Japanese style from the outside, like an old Mazda 626 or Xedos or something and they combine that with absolutely no sporty sound obviously. I’ve never really got as far as looking inside one, but if it’s a load of touch screens, forget it, they really aren’t practical in a moving car bouncing through pot holes and over speed bumps. Eventually dinosaurs like me will disappear, but in the meantime there’s always room for a loud, dramatic looking vehicle in my garage while I’m still able to drive one.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Deleted User 1874

Macman wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:59 pm I don’t think you can equate US sales of any vehicle with what might happen over here. Most of them drive pick up trucks, unlike over here.

I fall firmly in the over 35 category and I don’t find Tesla’s in the remotest bit interesting. They have one redeeming feature, a very impressive 0-60 time. Some of them look very 1990s Japanese style from the outside, like an old Mazda 626 or Xedos or something and they combine that with absolutely no sporty sound obviously. I’ve never really got as far as looking inside one, but if it’s a load of touch screens, forget it, they really aren’t practical in a moving car bouncing through pot holes and over speed bumps. Eventually dinosaurs like me will disappear, but in the meantime there’s always room for a loud, dramatic looking vehicle in my garage while I’m still able to drive one.
Well I guess that's an honest point of view!
While trucks are indeed popular in the US market, so are premium European cars. The Tesla Model 3 is a car that will appeal to people on both sides of the pond. Those who would normally buy a BMW 3 series or C-class Merc will definitely now consider the Model 3, especially younger forward thinking types. Clearly not for you though!