Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Interesting report, Col. Many thanks. Still not totally sold by quite a way, though, so would absolutely want a prolonged test drive. As for being a £60K+ set of wheels as tested and £80k plus for AWD or performance version. Errr...! Will definitely have reserve judgement on that too.

My impressions from the film...

Obviously cannot argue with the driving impressions without driving one.

Now I love my iPad but that just looks like far too much centralised tech. I’m sure Peteski will disagree and that to drive and experience is essential. - which is probably true.

Being picky I can imagine Mrs D having nightmares about the door handles and her nails. And I would about her nails and the bodywork.

The passenger has to be as tech savvy as the driver - again a no-no for Mrs D.

Finally a real old school question but is the only way to get my music in the car to stream it or whatever you have to do?

Oh, and as much of this sectors UK market is fleet and company vehicles would a Unilever rep like one? Especially a more basic version? And with that mind at 15 whatevers is the boot big enough? Reps do like their boot space!

Another part of the £60-80K+ sector would be retired solicitors etc. Hmmm!

Playing devils advocate to a degree but...
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:50 am UK configurator not available to me yet.
They really need to get that going if they are serious about 2019 delivery. The fact it’s not there doesn’t inspire.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

The Model 3 is not a £60k -£80k IMHO. Much more a £35k-£55K, it is after all, a BMW 3 Series competitor.

If Tesla charge anymore than that they will struggle to get customers, me being one of them.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
johnd

Post by johnd »

Dandock wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 am Now I love my iPad but that just looks like far too much centralised tech.
Just for the sake of argument, can you spell out why you dislike the iPad idea so much?

I think we've established in other threads that there's relatively little reason to use the touchscreen on the move. The steering wheel has conventional stalks and control buttons, and I'm guessing that several conventionally 'switch' functions like headlights are automated. So, give or take, the only reasons to use the touchscreen on the move are no different to a Macan, eg to interact with the navigation display or maybe answer a phone call.

Just FAOD I'm unlikely to be in the market fora Model 3 for a whole range of reasons (eg 4WD some way off I think) and one of them being that I still struggle with the look of an iPad stuck on the dash. But I don't have a problem with the principle of using a touchscreen for various secondary functions, much as the Macan does. I-Pace is closer to the sweet spot for me with integrated touchscreen and a few mechanical controls retained eg for heating control and with first customer deliveries looking like just 2-3 months away. Also looking forwards to Monday (4th) when the embargo on driving reviews lifts apparently.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

The configurator is made available to you when you need to configure your order, rather than to anyone at any time.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

johnd wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:09 pm
Dandock wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 am Now I love my iPad but that just looks like far too much centralised tech.
Just for the sake of argument, can you spell out why you dislike the iPad idea so much?

I think we've established in other threads that there's relatively little reason to use the touchscreen on the move. The steering wheel has conventional stalks and control buttons, and I'm guessing that several conventionally 'switch' functions like headlights are automated. So, give or take, the only reasons to use the touchscreen on the move are no different to a Macan, eg to interact with the navigation display or maybe answer a phone call.

Just FAOD I'm unlikely to be in the market fora Model 3 for a whole range of reasons (eg 4WD some way off I think) and one of them being that I still struggle with the look of an iPad stuck on the dash. But I don't have a problem with the principle of using a touchscreen for various secondary functions, much as the Macan does. I-Pace is closer to the sweet spot for me with integrated touchscreen and a few mechanical controls retained eg for heating control and with first customer deliveries looking like just 2-3 months away. Also looking forwards to Monday (4th) when the embargo on driving reviews lifts apparently.
Probably just a natural antipathy. I do, though, like to be able too immediately see/feel what is doing what. Not having experienced the controls of a 3 we’re obviously on ethereal ground.
Because I have no experience and I’m probably being naive but please can you detail how one manages the following situation....

Say we have an warm, wet day and wet occupants. The windscreen is misting and the wiper setting needs changing from say double speed to intermittent. The visibility deteriorates necessitating front/rear fog lights etc. Are all changes handled automatically or would I have to go to the pad and individual settings to make the changes?

Or whilst driving you find the need to adjust the seat settings - a very common occurrence?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Tall Phil wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:55 am The Model 3 is not a £60k -£80k IMHO. Much more a £35k-£55K, it is after all, a BMW 3 Series competitor.

If Tesla charge anymore than that they will struggle to get customers, me being one of them.
Yep. The guy in the video says a basic one with smallest batteries would be £35k, which I think I've heard before. The fully loaded test car was £57k.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:24 pm
Tall Phil wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:55 am The Model 3 is not a £60k -£80k IMHO. Much more a £35k-£55K, it is after all, a BMW 3 Series competitor.

Yep. The guy in the video says a basic one with smallest batteries would be £35k, which I think I've heard before. The fully loaded test car was £57k.
And the average US punter puts a on minimum of @$12K of extras. Autopilot etc. So a $47K without the incentive - which will expire soon anyway. Not cheap!
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Because I have no experience and I’m probably being naive but please can you detail how one manages the following situation....

Say we have an warm, wet day and wet occupants. The windscreen is misting and the wiper setting needs changing from say double speed to intermittent. The visibility deteriorates necessitating front/rear fog lights etc. Are all changes handled automatically or would I have to go to the pad and individual settings to make the changes?

Or whilst driving you find the need to adjust the seat settings - a very common occurrence?
I can only answer this based on Model S/X controls, but it's all pretty simple and intuitive:-

1. Wiper settings are all on a conventional stalk in the X. But I think the Model 3 is more touchscreen dependent. I use them on auto 99% of the time anyway.
2. Fog lights are on the touchscreen, with large virtual buttons. Used them the other day for the first time when it was foggy and had no issues finding them
3. Seat heaters and screen heaters are on permanent virtual buttons at the bottom of the touchscreen. No easier or harder than operating physical buttons IME. They light up when switched on so easy to verify their status. I expect Model 3 will be something very similar.
4. Seat settings are conventional physical buttons on the side of the seats. Not sure about Model 3.

The touchscreen in the Tesla is responsive and accurate like an iPad. The touchscreen in the latest Volvos is not quite so good and the one in our Nissan is a bit vague too. I think this is a key factor in the success or failure of a touchscreen interface. That and the actual GUI and the Tesla S/X is now very well developed after several iterations. When I tested the Volvo XC90, their lack of experience in this tech really showed. The touchscreen was quite laggy, the virtual buttons a little tricky to press and the overall GUI was a bit confusing. Tesla did a better job in both those respects, probably because they've had 6 years to tweak it. It is a good benchmark for all manufacturers moving away from physical buttons.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:09 pm
Even when the phone rings, it reverts to the steering wheel buttons to engage. There is also voice control, although I rarely use it other than for sometimes selecting a song or album, which it does very well!