Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Despite all the production bottlenecks, it looks like the Tesla Model 3 is going to outsell the BMW 3 series and C-class in the US pretty soon. Already a reality in California as you may expect, but it shows there is certainly no shortage of demand for an EV in this key sector. This is going to shake up the industry even more than the premium Model S did, which is all good news for the consumer.

https://electrek.co/2018/05/22/tesla-mo ... ia-report/

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

So do Model X and Model S also outsell there respective competitors ?
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 pm So do Model X and Model S also outsell there respective competitors ?
Well that depends on what cars you actually compare them against. If you compare against Mercedes S-class, BMW-7 series then Tesla comfortably outsell those in most markets. But if you compare against Merc E-class and BMW 5-series, then it's much closer. Model X is still climbing the ladder and appears to be selling very well.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The figures do not make sense.

The Model 3 has a max production rate of 3500 vehicles per week.

Recent production has been only 2000 vehicles per week.

To me it looks as though Tesla have been giving preferential treat,ent to the California market to manipulate the statistics.

In any case what makes a premium car?

Tesla interiors hardly qualify as premium given there austere basic internals.

Amended
Last edited by Col Lamb on Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 pm The figures do not make sense.

The Model X has a max production rate of 3500 vehicles per week.

To me it looks as though Tesla have been giving preferential treat,ent to the California market to manipulate the statistics.

I presume you meant Model 3?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Amended to read Model 3
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Amended
You do realise Tesla is based in California and that a lot of early pre-orders came from employees - which had priority delivery? I don't think Tesla are going to need to manipulate any stats on Model 3 sales, they already have some 450,000 orders on the books! Model Y will probably generate even more interest.

For me Tesla certainly are premium cars, loaded with new technology and fresh ideas. But then I've never been one for flashy interiors and pointless bling in cars. Neither have Porsche historically, but you see an awful lot more of it in their current cars. I find the Tesla Model X interior a very nice place to spend time, the ambience is stunning with the panoramic windscreen and sharp digital displays. I reserve judgement on the Model 3 interior until I see it in person, but I reckon I'll probably like it. I certainly don't like the current BMW 3-series interior, it looks dark and dated and the user interface is a complete joke compared to the Tesla. I think most people under the age of 35 will much prefer Tesla's approach to interior design. But let's see how those sales go!
VanB

Post by VanB »

Interiors are very much a matter of personal taste just like the decor of someone's house. Personally I find Tesla's interiors quite bland, spartan and utilitarian which, as someone has said elsewhere, is probably just like the Swedish approach.

It doesn't make it wrong but, for me, it doesn't have a premium feel in line with the price point that these cars sell at. This is in line with comments from both of my friends who drive a Model S but they are both over 35!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

VanB wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 pm Interiors are very much a matter of personal taste just like the decor of someone's house. Personally I find Tesla's interiors quite bland, spartan and utilitarian which, as someone has said elsewhere, is probably just like the Swedish approach.

It doesn't make it wrong but, for me, it doesn't have a premium feel in line with the price point that these cars sell at. This is in line with comments from both of my friends who drive a Model S but they are both over 35!
As you say this is largely a question of personal taste. I'm over 35 too and love the Tesla interiors. They feel premium to me in terms of both their tech and material choices. Most others look very dated in comparison, especially the dash displays. No amount of fancy leather and contrast stitching can hide a dated low-tech user interface for me.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I don't like contrast stitching either but I also prefer functional buttons to touch screens particularly as it is easy to push a button on the move but much less easy to control a touchscreen interface. I don't want an interior that looks like a boardroom but I do want a comfortable, ergonomic interior with a premium feel.

I think Tesla could achieve this fairly easily without any cost implication if they understood that the entire world wasn't populated by Americans.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate