Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

johnd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm I saw one in the flesh too, loved the design in and out, but was disappointed with its size. So low and short in real life, it almost fits the VW golf category.

Did you look at the actual measurements? It's within 2-3mm of the Macan in length and I'm guessing roughly the same max height (depending on whether air is fitted, whether it's pumped up or not etc). And I do quite like the idea of the 500mm wading depth (not that I'd ever use that I imagine, but it's a nice idea). Interior space definitely greater than Macan, especially in the back.

Maybe the proportions are deceptive?
Yes it's exactly that. It is actually 7cm lower than the Macan, but indeed not a lot shorter. It's just that with the very long wheelbase and very short overhangs, plus the lower roofline it looks more compact. Ah well, gone are those beautifull looooooong bonnets like on the old e-types I love so much. No more use for them I guess with electric motors. And no, it's not a generation thing, I'm only in my thirties :)

johnd

Post by johnd »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm Ah well, gone are those beautifull looooooong bonnets like on the old e-types I love so much. No more use for them I guess with electric motors.
Well, partly the long bonnet isn't needed for mechanicals, but I think the other driver for pushing the axles out to the fore and aft ends - as an EV makes possible - is to maximise the interior space, Quite a few buying decisions will be influenced by the practicalities of the feel and space of the interior rather than the sexiness of the long bonnet, however desirable that might be for stylistic reasons.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

johnd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm Ah well, gone are those beautifull looooooong bonnets like on the old e-types I love so much. No more use for them I guess with electric motors.
Well, partly the long bonnet isn't needed for mechanicals, but I think the other driver for pushing the axles out to the fore and aft ends - as an EV makes possible - is to maximise the interior space, Quite a few buying decisions will be influenced by the practicalities of the feel and space of the interior rather than the sexiness of the long bonnet, however desirable that might be for stylistic reasons.
Not forgetting adequate crumple zones and the zillions of obligatory regs that have to be accommodated.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm
The idea behind the wristband is that its waterproof. Quite handy in my case for when I go windsurfing by myself for instance. I currently have to hide the key somewhere around the car.
Okay, that makes sense now. Quite a good idea in that case.
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am I saw the iPace in the flesh for the first time on Saturday at the Fully Charged show at Silverstone. I'll post some pics later, but I'll be honest I didn't think much of the interior design or space.
Interior seemed OK to me, but maybe I'm no connoisseur of premium interiors. The only thing that did strike me as a little, hmm what's the word, gaudy or garish maybe, was the HVAC control area where the use of a coloured touch screen just seems like distracting overkill. I think a good sharp greyscale/monochrome panel could have been significantly more elegant.

But for me, the I-Pace is close to Hobson's choice. I'm looking to change my current SD sometime in the next 6-9 months or so; Porsche would be my preferred choice but they just don't seem to be making a model that appeals at present. I know the FL Macan is coming but who really knows when; and difficult to foresee enough changes in the Macan spec to be much improvement over my current SD. No final decision as yet but I suspect it will be touch and go as to whether the FL specs will be available before I need to jump one way or the other.

There's no other EV on the horizon that appeals - current Teslas are too big/expensive. Model Y might well fit the bill with 4WD but availability is out in the vague future sometime - 2020 maybe? (Also slightly surprised to see that there's only one Supercharger in the whole of my home turf of East Anglia (say Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs). OK there's also one at Stansted if you count that, but nothing at all otherwise IIRC, other than Thetford).
A monochrome panel next to a full colour display might clash a bit though? From a practical point of view, I thought the glossy screen was a mistake and it sits much more flat than in the Tesla, so will catch the sun more. The matte screen has never been an issue in the Tesla even in direct bright sunlight, but I'm not convinced about the iPace screen. Even in photos the screen reflections are obvious, especially with a predominately black screen background. Have they thought all this through properly? I'm not too sure, but a test drive on a bright summer day would confirm.

BTW the shiny dark wood trim in the FE show car was awful, but at least there should be better alternatives. I thought the Tesla wood trim options were dubious, but this was even worse, :lol:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

08E4CFD6-81F5-4D8B-BDF8-82438B847589.jpeg

38E49E39-9DB5-4567-8795-C9E4D2304485.jpeg

AB3FC694-DD1B-4222-B6E0-BFACF10A4E54.jpeg

5F3E53BD-EC77-4D37-B84E-005BEE631521.jpeg

BF431E00-C420-43AB-B723-D561836D6D8D.jpeg

0F316612-FC21-4869-94BD-FE1389FA1AC2.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

Question for Peteski, if he should happen to look in:

The recent coast-to-coast (UK) I-Pace trip reported on in the new edition of Car (July maybe?) mentions that given the lack of gearbox etc the I-Pace (like other EVs I guess) can go as fast backwards as forwards, at least in theory, which is an, um, interesting idea :shock:

I was just curious about the reality here. It sounds like a neat party trick, but if true would presumably make the car less than easy to control at low speeds. So the question is simply whether the accelerator might typically be mapped differently in an EV like I-Pace when reverse is selected?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am Question for Peteski, if he should happen to look in:

The recent coast-to-coast (UK) I-Pace trip reported on in the new edition of Car (July maybe?) mentions that given the lack of gearbox etc the I-Pace (like other EVs I guess) can go as fast backwards as forwards, at least in theory, which is an, um, interesting idea :shock:

I was just curious about the reality here. It sounds like a neat party trick, but if true would presumably make the car less than easy to control at low speeds. So the question is simply whether the accelerator might typically be mapped differently in an EV like I-Pace when reverse is selected?
Teslas are limited to 15 mph in reverse. The accelerator is mapped accordingly and very easy to crawl forward or reverse at very low speed. Much easier than in a manual gearbox car and smoother than any automatic I’ve driven. I expect the iPace will be much the same.

It’s nice being able to seamlessly change from forward to reverse when manoeuvring without any mechanical gearshift. On a Tesla, forward and reverse are on a column stalk so you can keep your hands on the wheel, which I think is better than the buttons on the iPace, but not a big deal.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

johnd wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am Question for Peteski, if he should happen to look in:

The DAF 33, 44, 55 and 66 were able to drive backwards as quickly as they could drive backwards. There were even DAF races in the 1980s. You've guessed it. Backwards. Hilarious fun.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Took a test drive in a "First Edition" model today. Aesthetics look good to my eyes, good power delivery, flat cornering and decent ride even with 22" alloys. Digital instruments [speedo behind the steering wheel] and head up display were clear and with good graphics. There were no squeaks or rattles, even on rough surfaces.

Materials, paint quality and fit and finish were reasonable, but not exceptional for this price point.

The performance was good, but I was not "blown away" by it compared to my Macan SD. I found the leather seats hard. I did not feel the boot and rear seat leg room was much bigger than the Macan. The pano roof is fixed. The central sat nav / comms is sluggish to react and no android / Apple Carplay available. The rear reversing camera was not particularly good and no rear screen wiper.

The biggest issue was range - it showed just 109 miles and was fully charged. The SE stated this was because of previous testers had been taking full advantage of the power delivery - really? 42 hours to fully charge on a domestic charger or 14 hours on a fast charger was quoted.

This demo priced at £89k inc the OE extras - one of which was carpet mats at £100 - they do not come as standard.

Delivery of a car to individual spec was quoted as Feb. I'm surprised only 6 months for a limited build quantity new model.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver