Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am
johnd wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 pm Not the I-Pace (though it does make a guest appearance) but what is presumably part 1 of the FCS I-Pace/Kona/Leaf European road trip from back in September. Shame it's not 4WD but well worth a view for anyone interested in EVs.
Well it makes our Diesel Qashqai look like the sluggish noisy dinosaur it really is! Although far from sexy, the Kona shows how an efficient EV drivetrain craps all over a traditional small turbo diesel in this class. With its instant throttle response I would bet this would feel as quick, if not quicker than a Macan SD or base petrol driven in standard auto mode. While I can understand the reluctance to move away from a high performance 6 or 8 cylinder petrol ICE, moving away from a mundane rattly turbo diesel is not so difficult! When people catch on they certainly won't want to go back. Which reminds me we really need to get rid of our Qashqai! This Kona would be a great alternative and light years better to drive. Except we don't really need another crossover, so hanging on for the Model 3 next year as a second EV.
Good job that you are not biased then Peterski. :oops:

The Kona is a tiny cross-over. For the same money you can buy / lease a much bigger and better quality Tiguan. The Kona is MUCH slower than a Macan SD and as soon as a bend comes into sight, then the SD would show it a VERy clean pair of heels.

And yes I have driven a Kona. Low quality, wowful dynamics and no aural pleasure.

As for most people, I do not want to hang around waiting for a BEV to endlessly re-charge. I want to know that I can take off any time I want and not have to remember to unplug it after a long boring wait. I do not want the faff of home charging either with a cable to store / plug in. In comparison, I have no problem spending 5 to 10 minutes maximum on taking on board up to 70 litres of liquid fuel.

I really hope mankind invents an instant refuel alternative to this backward step of BEVs.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:13 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am
johnd wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 pm Not the I-Pace (though it does make a guest appearance) but what is presumably part 1 of the FCS I-Pace/Kona/Leaf European road trip from back in September. Shame it's not 4WD but well worth a view for anyone interested in EVs.
Well it makes our Diesel Qashqai look like the sluggish noisy dinosaur it really is! Although far from sexy, the Kona shows how an efficient EV drivetrain craps all over a traditional small turbo diesel in this class. With its instant throttle response I would bet this would feel as quick, if not quicker than a Macan SD or base petrol driven in standard auto mode. While I can understand the reluctance to move away from a high performance 6 or 8 cylinder petrol ICE, moving away from a mundane rattly turbo diesel is not so difficult! When people catch on they certainly won't want to go back. Which reminds me we really need to get rid of our Qashqai! This Kona would be a great alternative and light years better to drive. Except we don't really need another crossover, so hanging on for the Model 3 next year as a second EV.
Good job that you are not biased then Peterski. :oops:

The Kona is a tiny cross-over. For the same money you can buy / lease a much bigger and better quality Tiguan. The Kona is MUCH slower than a Macan SD and as soon as a bend comes into sight, then the SD would show it a VERy clean pair of heels.

And yes I have driven a Kona. Low quality, wowful dynamics and no aural pleasure.

As for most people, I do not want to hang around waiting for a BEV to endlessly re-charge. I want to know that I can take off any time I want and not have to remember to unplug it after a long boring wait. I do not want the faff of home charging either with a cable to store / plug in. In comparison, I have no problem spending 5 to 10 minutes maximum on taking on board up to 70 litres of liquid fuel.

I really hope mankind invents an instant refuel alternative to this backward step of BEVs.
I'm not biased as I don't work for any of these companies nor do they pay me to say good or bad things about them. You seem to be getting confused between bias and free choice.

I know the Kona is objectively slower than a Macan SD, but I bet it feels quicker in many real world scenarios just because of the instant response. I've driven the Porsche diesel Cayenne and thought it was pretty gutless unless wound up, so I very much doubt the Macan diesel is anything special. I also realise the handling of the Kona is going to be very average, but that's not the point here. I've also driven a Tiguan diesel and that was gutless too. The point I'm making is that even a modest EV like the Kona would provide a better driving experience in this mundane class of car and I think that came through pretty well in the video.

Lastly I don't remember ever having to wait for my EV to endlessly re-charge. It's always ready to go and charges when I'm doing something else. I can deal with unplugging it as if that somehow makes it inconvenient. But I'm sure you love visiting the filling station every week. I know it was my favourite thing to do, especially in the winter. Or maybe you think I've never owned an ICE to make a comparison? But it's pretty obvious you've only ever been on one side of the fence.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Thanks, Guy a very interesting report.

Having a HUD in my threes series , I will miss it when my Macan arrives.

I sat in an Ipace at Goodwood last year and was impressed. Although they describe it as an SUV , I find it's stance quite a bit lower than most SUV's and that no doubt helps its efficiency. Did actual see one on test In Lathi Finland last September and have seen two parked in London. for me whether an Ipace, forthcoming Tesla3 suv or new EV Macan could depend on the size and I would favour the smaller.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8