Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 am
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:47 pm So in the future when guys are in the Pub comparing their EVs it will be a case of

..... mine is smaller than yours !

Watts per mile that is.
:lol: I guess when pretty much every car on the road has a sub 4 sec 0-60 time, alternative "performance" metrics will be required. Battling through the morning traffic today I was pondering the effect of everyone having supercar performance off the line and I don't think it will be good!
I guess its all relative but lets hope the brakes and reactions are up to job!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:47 pm So in the future when guys are in the Pub comparing their EVs it will be a case of

..... mine is smaller than yours !

Watts per mile that is.
:lol: I guess when pretty much every car on the road has a sub 4 sec 0-60 time, alternative "performance" metrics will be required. Battling through the morning traffic today I was pondering the effect of everyone having supercar performance off the line and I don't think it will be good!
We will all be chauffeured by the cars' computers with top notch reactions. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Semerka wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm

We will all be chauffeured by the cars' computers with top notch reactions. :lol:
Until that computer displays the message ‘fatal error’!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:07 pm
Semerka wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Until that computer displays the message ‘fatal error’!
:cry:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
johnd

Post by johnd »

See that (FWIW!) AutoExpress have just done an I-Pace vs Tesla S 75D comparison. One figure for the I-Pace that caught my eye - simply because I've looked for it but not seen it quoted before - was the 30-70 time at 3.7 sec. I know that's pretty quick and certainly quicker than my Macan SD, but - genuine question - don't know how it compares to other Macans, eg GTS or Turbo. Anyone able to point me at some Macan 30-70 review figures please? (The Tesla was 3.5 secs for comparison.)

(Yes, I know it's just one performance metric but I'm probably more interested in 30-70 as an indication of overtaking performance than any other single stat - it's just more relevant to everyday driving on single carriageway roads than eg 0-60.)
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The petrol S has been tested from 30 > 70 in 4.3 sec
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

https://www.whatcar.com/news/bmw-m3-vs- ... rbo/n11304

This link compares the Macan Turbo to the M3.

Interesting read. It also compares the 30-70mph times. But I feel it’s faster than 4.2seconds as mentioned.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 pm See that (FWIW!) AutoExpress have just done an I-Pace vs Tesla S 75D comparison. One figure for the I-Pace that caught my eye - simply because I've looked for it but not seen it quoted before - was the 30-70 time at 3.7 sec. I know that's pretty quick and certainly quicker than my Macan SD, but - genuine question - don't know how it compares to other Macans, eg GTS or Turbo. Anyone able to point me at some Macan 30-70 review figures please? (The Tesla was 3.5 secs for comparison.)

(Yes, I know it's just one performance metric but I'm probably more interested in 30-70 as an indication of overtaking performance than any other single stat - it's just more relevant to everyday driving on single carriageway roads than eg 0-60.)
What you notice most in daily driving is the instant pickup. No waiting for downshifts and drivetrain inertia. It's worth at least another second on top of the actual time it takes to cover the interval. It makes overtaking even more effortless as you are always instantly ready to go.

To put this in perspective the Model S P100D has been timed at 2.19 sec from 30-70 mph! Obviously a huge price premium, but that is the current EV benchmark.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-ge ... -stopwatch
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

0-60 30 -70 times are all well and good, but the elephant in the room is still range, especially at motorway speed of 70-80.

As more EV's hit the road, demand for charging points will increase, probably more so than availability, so I am thinking surely working on some form of gearing to extend the range, albeit at the expense of acceleration, should surely be on the to do list of EV manufacturers.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Macananon wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 am 0-60 30 -70 times are all well and good, but the elephant in the room is still range, especially at motorway speed of 70-80.
An 'elephant in the room' is something that's patently obvious but which people refrain from talking about. Not sure how that applies to EV range. Most everyone who buys an EV understands the range issue. The answer seems to be that provided you can charge at home and don't do more than 12-15K miles/year then range is not a serious concern for most users, though long journeys do need to be planned more carefully. Most EV drivers seem content with this trade-off.
As more EV's hit the road, demand for charging points will increase, probably more so than availability
Not sure why that should be the case. There may be something of a lag between demand and supply and the picture probably isn't going to become clearer until eg 2020, but my guess is that the DoT will progressively play a stronger role in ensuring the build-out of rapid chargers to meet demand, as part of the overall strategy to electrify transport.
, so I am thinking surely working on some form of gearing to extend the range, albeit at the expense of acceleration, should surely be on the to do list of EV manufacturers.
Would mechanical gearing really help? If a certain power delivery is necessary to sustain the momentum of a car at eg 80mph then why would that reduce by adding the extra inefficiency of mechanical gears. I'm not sure how much of a part acceleration plays in overall consumption, but if it's significant then couldn't it be controlled more easily by electronic rather than mechanical means.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly