Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I agree with waiting as the Tesla S is due for replacement too in the next couple of years, probably and possibly even sooner.

And from the Taycan pics thread...

But then it's all still multiple years away

An subtle but interesting difference in position? ;) :)
The subtle difference being that Tesla have been producing the current Model S since 2012! Porsche first talked about the Mission-E for 2018, then it soon became 2019 and now looks realistically like 2020 for the UK. Meanwhile you could buy a Model S today, although you would have to face the possibility of a brand new replacement model from 2020 if that bothered you. So people not so fussed about having a new car today might as well wait a couple of years to see how it all pans out.
Regardless... I was actually referring to the difference in your position - both vehicles due around the same time - or maybe sooner for the first incarnation of Taycan - one is worth the wait (is that a US date or pan-geographic?) whilst the other is ‘multiple years away’.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I agree with waiting as the Tesla S is due for replacement too in the next couple of years, probably and possibly even sooner.

So people not so fussed about having a new car today might as well wait a couple of years to see how it all pans out.
Considering the state of technological change I totally agree.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm [/i]

The subtle difference being that Tesla have been producing the current Model S since 2012! Porsche first talked about the Mission-E for 2018, then it soon became 2019 and now looks realistically like 2020 for the UK. Meanwhile you could buy a Model S today, although you would have to face the possibility of a brand new replacement model from 2020 if that bothered you. So people not so fussed about having a new car today might as well wait a couple of years to see how it all pans out.
Regardless... I was actually referring to the difference in your position - both vehicles due around the same time - or maybe sooner for the first incarnation of Taycan - one is worth the wait (is that a US date or pan-geographic?) whilst the other is ‘multiple years away’.
No, you are misunderstanding my "position" here. I was referring to waiting for the next gen Model S for those considering the current version, but who don't actually need a new car today or even next year. The Taycan isn't even an option for anyone looking at changing their car before 2020 and given that it's a first gen EV, I would wait to see how it compares with the next gen Tesla, due about the same time (maybe a year later).

However you spin it there are no Porsche EV options until 2020 at the earliest and then the Taycan will be competing with whatever brand new Tesla S appears soon after, not the current Model S benchmark dating from 2012! For me the intrigue will be whether or not Tesla can move the goalposts again and I have a feeling they will, especially in terms of battery tech. But I'm not particularly brand loyal so will buy whatever I think the best option is when we next need a new car (2022 for a big SUV and actually right now for a second smaller high performance saloon/hatch/SUV). What is becoming clear is that the common view that when the German EVs arrive (which always seems to be next year), everything else will be blown away, isn't very likely to happen. The Audi e-tron looks competent but hardly awe-inspiring and the same can be said for the new Merc. Actually the iPace looks more interesting than either of those and you could probably even be driving one within the next year!

When we decided to buy a Model X last September I did wonder whether or not to wait for other EV options to appear, but in hindsight I'm very glad I didn't. By the time there is a viable alternative to a Model X (Audi e-tron rather than the smaller iPace) we will be over halfway through our current PCP term anyway. I'm also very glad we didn't compromise with a PHEV (Volvo XC90 T8 was the alternative choice at the time) as the Tesla drivetrain has been great and the novelty certainly isn't wearing off after 12K miles. Quite the opposite now the winter weather is looming and I can pre-heat the car remotely and no dealing with cold engine starts etc. All that feels like history to me now.

Since this is the iPace discussion thread, honestly if it came to choosing a Macan or iPace today, I would take the iPace for its drivetrain alone. I'm not even a fan of the Jaguar interior, but the Macan is just lagging way too far behind in both drivetrain and interior tech to compete over the next few years - facelift looks very half-hearted too, when it really needs to seriously impress. The Macan still has the handling prowess and fine build quality, but I very much doubt that's going to be enough to sway many people beyond the dedicated Porsche forum fans.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm [/i]

So people not so fussed about having a new car today might as well wait a couple of years to see how it all pans out.
Considering the state of technological change I totally agree.
I think it's more a case of increased market choice rather than any radical improvement in EV technology. The EV tech is very much here and now at Tesla and everything coming along in the next few years is more or less the same, as the production specs for the various new contenders are now showing. The differentiators will be the usual build quality, ride and handling, charging infrastructure, price and the usual design aesthetics. Anyone expecting a real world 400+ mile range, 5 min rapid re-charging or anything quicker than a current Model S P100D is probably going to be very disappointed. I think Tesla are about the only company that could pull a surprise in terms of battery tech in the next 5 years and there are plenty of rumours circulating in that regard.
Macman

Post by Macman »

I think GM, VW and Ford must all be eyeing up Tesla for a take over in less than 5 years. Maybe also the Chinese and Indians will be in the running. It will help an ICE company to leap ahead of its ICE competitors in the EV catch-up race.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Deleted User 1874

Macman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am I think GM, VW and Ford must all be eyeing up Tesla for a take over in less than 5 years. Maybe also the Chinese and Indians will be in the running. It will help an ICE company to leap ahead of its ICE competitors in the EV catch-up race.
Please don't let it be Ford! Every time they take something over, their incompetent upper management meddling is a disaster. I experienced that first hand with the Jaguar F1 Team. They were a nightmare to deal with and had no f****** clue about F1 racing. Selling the team to Red Bull was the best thing that ever happened, lol.

I don't know about Tesla getting taken over. There seems to be a lot of private money hovering around to potentially keep it out of corporate hands. But that's just my gut feeling, I don't have a clue really. For sure there must be some growing interest from the big corporates.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A Tesla Model 3 drive unit is shown in the image.

The key to EV’s success if manufacturers have any sense; imho, is to make the drive and battery systems modular and hence easily incorporated within their model range.

6256D1F6-29FA-4E51-B9C9-A84F1A1616B1.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Looks expensive for 70k ;)
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm Looks expensive for 70k ;)
Like a giant Segway. 🤔
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

"Nine months before the law makes it compulsory for manufacturers to fit new electric and hybrid cars with Audible Vehicle Alert Systems, Jaguar reveals the noise of their first electric car—the I-PACE—and it’s not what you would think."

www.petrolprices.com/news/noise-of-elec ... uld-think/
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver