Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col M wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:30 pm "Paddy McGuinness and Andrew Flintoff will be the new presenters of Top Gear, the BBC has confirmed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945
Not sure why this is in the iPace thread...
Col M - see Wing Co's post above....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm Now that JLR has shutdown for two weeks due to over production then maybe those who wish to go down the route of buying a JLR then a very good deal may be available.
Maybe, but that wouldn't apply to an I-Pace I think. Production seems to be limited to around 25K cars a year and right now they appear to be selling every one they can make, with lead times from 6-8 months typically being quoted. It's a bit like the Macan from 2-3 years back, though perhaps not quite that extreme.

There are a couple of other reasons for the demand like Google/Waymo's apparent order for 20K (!) examples and specially urgent demand from the Netherlands where AIUI EV tax breaks are going to deteriorate considerably on Jan 1st 2019, so it's believed that a significant chunk of current production (4K cars has been quoted for delivery this year) is going there.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 pm Production seems to be limited to around 25K cars a year
Or possibly a lot less depending on what you read. I've seen figures of 13K cars per year max, with around 9000 next year. Basically very low volumes. Should be good for residuals if it proves to be reliable.
Guy

Post by Guy »

My wife and I attended a Jaguar ‘Art of Performance’ Tour event at Oulton Park yesterday. From the event description: a scintillating driving experience, showcasing Jaguar's innovative technology, precision performance, design and engineering excellence. As one of an exclusive party of guests, you'll be able to experience the pure exhilaration of the new I-PACE, Jaguar's first all-electric performance SUV.

The event was very well organised; the entire circuit had been taken over by Jaguar and they must have had about a hundred iPaces there! We arrived at 0830hrs (only about 1hr 15 from home) and had coffee and bacon rolls in the clubhouse. Then we were divided into groups and given a driver briefing. We then took part in the following events:

Track Experience:

Initially we were given an iPace each and four cars at a time followed a lead driver/instructor around the track. Radios were in each car so the instructor could explain the lines and keep us all together. This was a very good introduction to the car; at this stage I was following my wife in the car in front but I did manage to get a bit close at one point such that the anti-collision software kicked in – a large warning triangle appeared on the dash and the car applied some braking!

We were then allocated individual instructors, whereupon they took us out on a single one-to-one instructional lap and then let us drive for six or seven laps. The car was very impressive around the track; excellent acceleration as expected and once I had got used to the regenerative braking it was very easy to go quite quickly. The instructors were happy for us to push quite hard, and the car was very easy to control, nicely balanced and there were no surprises when approaching grip limits. It was quite difficult to believe that I was in a 2½ tonne vehicle! Great fun!

Smart Cone Challenge

This was a bit of a gimmicky/fun activity, driving an iPace within a quite small (100m square) area between a sequence of cone ‘gates’ that were computer controlled and lit up randomly to tell you which one to go through next. The cars were GPS equipped and points given for speed, accuracy and minimum distance travelled. I found it quite tricky to do this smoothly, usually carrying too much speed through the gates and then having to scrub off speed and change direction in too much of a rush for the next gate.

Whilst waiting for our turn, there was a separate stand with a Jaguar expert briefing groups about the technical aspects of the car, and explaining how the charging systems are used. Clearly he was full of enthusiasm for EVs and gave a very positive spin, particular on the benefit-in-kind, tax advantages of the iPace. My wife asked what the main iPace faults were to-date and he skilfully avoided the question to talk about Tesla and their over-complicated gull-wing doors!

Road Drive

My wife and I were given an iPace and sent out on a pre-programmed 20 mile road route, changing over at a car park half-way. I drove first and it was only on entering the car park that I noticed the head-up display! Seemed a good bit of kit (although an option) and I would have liked more of a play! Most of my photos (to follow) were taken during the road drive, while my wife was driving.

Other Models

After more coffee and snacks, we were given the opportunity to drive other Jaguar models. We chose a petrol F-Pace, simply because I had never driven one before. Found it a bit agricultural, boring to drive and the steering seemed over sensitive even at speed. Not impressed – the iPace was far more rewarding to drive.

Verdict

- Very impressed with Jaguar’s organisation of the day, attention to detail etc. Even the car park supervisors were able to answer technical questions about the car. From what I have read about the Jaguar ‘Customer Experience’, I was very pleasantly surprised! Lovely weather also yesterday, and Oulton Park is a great circuit – the undulations an added bonus compared to some of the flatter circuits.

- Very impressed with the iPace on the track (and the road). The low centre of gravity and 50:50 weight balance were immediately apparent, and (leaving aside the fact that track driving can be fun whatever you are driving), I really enjoyed the driving experience.

- Not so impressed with the iPace interior: It seemed well put together, and the seats were nicely trimmed and supportive, but the centre console in particular was too plasticky for my liking. Finger marks and dust showed up everywhere (see photos) – definitely keeping the Jaguar valeting team busy! I didn’t really delve into the functionality of many of the systems/aircon/nav etc, but the screens seemed very well laid out and the satnav instructions were clear and logical.

So would I buy one? I would certainly consider one if I was looking to change my car and could find an affordable deal. But for the next couple of years I am happy to keep my Macan SD and observe both how the EV world develops (infrastructure, taxation etc) and how iPace reliability pans out in the medium term. Importantly, my wife is definitely now an iPace fan!

I do highly recommend a test drive, whether in the market or not! Happy to answer questions :D

(Photos to follow shortly!)
Guy

Post by Guy »

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and photos, Guy. Glad that you had a nice time. The i-Pace certainly looks like an interesting proposition.

At that price point, were I in the market for an EV, I’d wait to study Porsche’s offering... :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

+1 (to Guy, and to waiting a bit longer!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think we will see a fair few mainstream manufacturers releasing their BEV offerings over the next few years and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the current market leader (Tesla who just made a decent quarterly profit). Tesla is a proven product whilst the I-Pace and other newcomers are not and will not be for some time.

Appreciate you posting your thoughts and photos, Guy. Thank you.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

VanB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we will see a fair few mainstream manufacturers releasing their BEV offerings over the next few years and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the current market leader (Tesla who just made a decent quarterly profit). Tesla is a proven product whilst the I-Pace and other newcomers are not and will not be for some time.

Interesting indeed, particularly as Tesla have now slipped out of the US satisfaction charts. Upping production and cashing in on the back orders has clearly impacted on quality. But is there anyone able to capitalise?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we will see a fair few mainstream manufacturers releasing their BEV offerings over the next few years and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the current market leader (Tesla who just made a decent quarterly profit). Tesla is a proven product whilst the I-Pace and other newcomers are not and will not be for some time.

+1, thanks for the review. It's hard not to be impressed with EV drivetrains. The iPace looks like being a decent first effort, but I wouldn't take one over a Tesla today. My Model X has been faultless over the first 13K miles, even the Falcon wing doors!