Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

neilj007 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 am In June's Car magazine, which celebrated 70 years of Porsche, there was an article on synthetic fuels. I'd not come across this before and I have no idea of the feasibility or engineering requirements in enough detail to make any assessment myself, but the article below mentions that the main driving force is a requirement for fuel for planes and ships, with cars being an added beneficiary...efficient hybrids being the probable outcome

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... nd-fiction
Keeping my fingers crossed for viability of synthetic fuels! 8-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

muxty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm
muxty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm

But why is this relevant? The vehicles are playing in complete different categories. Model X is a large 7-seater that can tow a 3 tonne boat if desired. A real work horse. The I-Pace is in comparison a small car.

And saying all this, if you would put a Model X P100D beside that I-pace, it will humiliate it. Does 0-60 in 2,9 sec.

Just a cheap and desperate marketing trick from Jaguar. Nothing more.
You must have missed it in the video where the iPace outdragged the Model X 100D.
You must have missed what I wrote. Please re-read.

If they would have had the Model X P100D it would have looked like the I-Pace were still standing still when the X pull away. 2,9 sec vs 4,5 sec to 60 is quite some difference :D
Yes, I did misread.

There again what on earth is the point of introducing the P100D into the discussion, at £130,000 the P100D is hardly in the same market.

A premium of £50,000 just to get to 60mph 1.5s quicker is ludicrous in itself.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

You must have missed it in the video where the iPace outdragged the Model X 100D.

If they would have had the Model X P100D it would have looked like the I-Pace were still standing still when the X pull away. 2,9 sec vs 4,5 sec to 60 is quite some difference :D
Yes, I did misread.

There again what on earth is the point of introducing the P100D into the discussion, at £130,000 the P100D is hardly in the same market.

The point is that in the Jaguar video, after the initial 75D drag race (which the iPace wins by about a car length), the guy jokes about coming back in a P100D and then actually rocks up in a 100D, which is to all intents and purposes the same performance as a 75D. So the iPace wins by half a car length. So all these "boy racer" iPace buyers are now going to expect to out drag any Tesla they come across, which will be a disappointment when they actually discover that ALL of the current Model S variants are quicker and some are a LOT quicker! It won't matter to most drivers of course, but it will to those who fully bought into the marketing video and wanted the fastest premium EV they could get regardless of cost.

Now if Jaguar had some souped-up SVR version of the iPace and they showed a video of that out-sprinting a Model X or S P100D that would be fair play as the focus of the whole vehicle would be about performance. But this video is just trying to make out that the iPace is the new king of acceleration, which it certainly isn't. It's plenty quick enough for sure, but we really don't need to see it beat a few carefully selected Tesla Models that are much bigger and heavier. Especially not when the PR deliberately aims to confuse people like you which models they are actually comparing!
muxty

Post by muxty »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Yes, I did misread.

As little as the X P100D is hardly in the same market as the I-Pace due to price, the cars are not in the same market independent of performance versions.

It's like Audi in their marketing would pull up with an RS Q3 and accelerate away from a more expensive BMW X5 3.0 and say that - Hey, we beat the BMW!.... 1. The cars are in different size classes 2. There is a X5M version that is more expensive, but would beat the RSQ3. Of course Audi would never come up with such a comparison - because it's stupid. But Jaguar apparently didn't find such a comparison stupid....
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Orangebulldog wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:33 pm
I do like the Vicar of Wibbly’s car reviews.

Thanks for posting it.

His comments on the best benefit of an EV is not the 0-60 that so many are hooked on, its the on the move effortless acceleration.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for posting it.

His comments on the best benefit of an EV is not the 0-60 that so many are hooked on, its the on the move effortless acceleration.
Yes, a fast 0-60 time is really just a side effect but it's what the industry still insists on quoting as a reference. EV torque is available instantly and incredibly easy to modulate giving the ultimate smooth and effortless drivetrain. The kind of thing premium ICE cars have been trying to achieve for more than a century with ever more sophisticated engine management, gearboxes and clutches. EV nails it all in one go and this is why cars like the iPace will prove to be "game-changers" for many people, especially those looking for a daily driver in mixed traffic. If the iPace had a conventional petrol/diesel engine, it would attract nothing like the same level of interest. You have to feel a bit sorry for the poor old F-Pace :lol:
Deleted User 1874

In that case, you should watch his Model X review too (the older 90D version). Again quite an interesting viewpoint from someone who isn't focused at all on performance and actually finds fast driving a bit intimidating!

It's clear he enjoyed his time driving both these EVs and you will see that they are quite different beasts once you get beyond the obvious comparisons.
Macman

Post by Macman »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for posting it.

Yes, a fast 0-60 time is really just a side effect but it's what the industry still insists on quoting as a reference. EV torque is available instantly and incredibly easy to modulate giving the ultimate smooth and effortless drivetrain. The kind of thing premium ICE cars have been trying to achieve for more than a century with ever more sophisticated engine management, gearboxes and clutches. EV nails it all in one go and this is why cars like the iPace will prove to be "game-changers" for many people, especially those looking for a daily driver in mixed traffic. If the iPace had a conventional petrol/diesel engine, it would attract nothing like the same level of interest. You have to feel a bit sorry for the poor old F-Pace :lol:
I think the F Pace will soldier on for a while yet while it’s £30 k cheaper than an iPace, or a Tesla :o
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
johnd

Post by johnd »

Macman wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm I think the F Pace will soldier on for a while yet while it’s £30 k cheaper than an iPace, or a Tesla :o
I'm sure it will, given that it's only been out for a couple of years, and will appeal to a different customer base anyway. I see that it's been confirmed in the past few days that I-Pace will be eligible for the UK EV grant, so £4.5K can be subtracted from the list prices. Still an expensive car though, but hopefully worth it!
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly