Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

How about the Volvo XC40 T5 with similar performance to the Q3 45 TFSi? Don't know what happened to the hybrid version, but doesn't seem to be available yet.

johnd

Post by johnd »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am John, did you see the recent review of the i-Pace on Fifth Gear? :)
No sorry - TBH thought that programme went off-air a long time ago - maybe it's been recommissioned? Anything interesting by way of comment on the I-Pace?

But these days there's absolutely no shortage of reviews of course, especially those available on YouTube, which often totally eclipse those available elsewhere in depth/detail/insight and in also in the sheer variety of comment.

Channels like Autogefühl (all car types) or, for EVs, 'Bjorn' (based in Norway but all videos (largely) in English ) or FullyChargedShow have a wealth of information. (Though still waiting for a detailed review of a production I-Pace from FCS - probably will pop up any day now.)
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
johnd

Post by johnd »

Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 am How about the Volvo XC40 T5 with similar performance to the Q3 45 TFSi? Don't know what happened to the hybrid version, but doesn't seem to be available yet.
Yes XC40 is a good call and one I always tend to overlook, for whatever reason. But just reminding myself that I had considered it and it looks like a good package but with some significant downsides:

• Even the T5 with 240ish BHP has 0-62 only at 6.5secs which is OK, but not great (but not sure what extra 'Polestar Optimisation' gives)
  • Auto gear-change seems to be universally described as quirky
  • Another car with apparently a complex and less than optimal main menu system
  • Not a driver's car by all accounts, with a more wallowy suspension set-up and light steering
But quite a few positives to balance the above cons. So yes might be worth reconsidering (although apparently much in demand at present with very few in showrooms and long lead times). I'm increasingly thinking that my next drive might be something of a compromise while I wait for the next generation of more compact but premium crossover EVs to appear. But I'm still 50/50 with taking a punt on I-Pace now.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

johnd wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am No sorry - TBH thought that programme went off-air a long time ago - maybe it's been recommissioned? Anything interesting by way of comment on the I-Pace?

But these days there's absolutely no shortage of reviews of course, especially those available on YouTube, which often totally eclipse those available elsewhere in depth/detail/insight and in also in the sheer variety of comment.

Channels like Autogefühl (all car types) or, for EVs, 'Bjorn' (based in Norway but all videos (largely) in English ) or FullyChargedShow have a wealth of information. (Though still waiting for a detailed review of a production I-Pace from FCS - probably will pop up any day now.)
Hi John,

It was only a fairly brief & superficial review to be honest. One of the reviewers started off being pretty anti-EVs, but ended up by being impressed with the I-Pace, saying that if the future of EVs includes cars like the I-Pace, then motorists have something to look forward to.

There were a few comments about the practicality of charging and how long it may take, plus the normal reference to quoted ranges being somewhat shorter in real life.

Fifth Gear is on at least series number 28 now!

Yes, I like Autogefuhl and find Thomas quite an entertaining & agreeable presenter, including his dislike of using animal skins in cars! :P

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

I only test drove the bigger XC60 and XC90 T8 hybrids. The XC60 had quite a good ride/handling compromise (far better handling than the old XC60), the XC90 definitely more toward comfort than handling, but still not bad. I didn't find their touchscreens (same in both those cars) very intuitive either and the hybrid power display on the dash was extremely confusing. Both very nice cars overall though. I just wasn't that convinced about the hybrid practicality after driving them (blew through the battery very quickly on my local routes) and the Tesla EV drivetrain was in another league and a much more sporty drive overall.

In your shoes I would probably take a chance on the iPace rather than face another 3 years with a fairly dull ICE powertrain. I have to say I can't get excited about the new Q3, but the iPace would be interesting for sure. Sporty handling with properly impressive EV performance would trump the size difference for me.
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes, I like Autogefuhl and find Thomas quite an entertaining & agreeable presenter, including his dislike of using animal skins in cars! :P
+1 nice in-depth reviews from an honest and intelligent guy. I enjoyed his reviews of the Volvo XC90 T8, Tesla Model X and iPace.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I could watch his stuff all day. And he'd make a much better Top Gear presenter than the two clowns announced today!!! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

"Paddy McGuinness and Andrew Flintoff will be the new presenters of Top Gear, the BBC has confirmed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Now that JLR has shutdown for two weeks due to over production then maybe those who wish to go down the route of buying a JLR then a very good deal may be available.

It would need to be buy one get one free to tempt me back into owning a JLR motor.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col M

Post by Col M »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:30 pm "Paddy McGuinness and Andrew Flintoff will be the new presenters of Top Gear, the BBC has confirmed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945
Not sure why this is in the iPace thread...but that doesn't look good. Paddy drives a removals van with Peter Kaye and Flintoff a chip van. Neither strike me as having relevant skills
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble