Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:22 pm It is quite amazing that there are what seems to be anti EV comments by the bucketload.

EV is what it will be by choice in not to many years time, like it or not the future is not ICE.

Yes I like the growl on startup of my Turbo and the roar I get from it when I put my foot down to overtake. but could I live without it, well yes if the alternative is a shedload of instant torque that will get the car past the car I intend to overtake before the Turbos spool up
I think the negativity is due to change and the simple fact that EVs are so damn quick! You only have to read comments on YouTube drag race videos to feel the resentment from old school petrolheads. It's as if Tesla have raped their daughters!

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Jaguar I-Pace vs Tesla Model X 75D and X 100D drag race videos

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/i-p ... newsletter
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
muxty

Post by muxty »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 pm Jaguar I-Pace vs Tesla Model X 75D and X 100D drag race videos

But why is this relevant? The vehicles are playing in complete different categories. Model X is a large 7-seater that can tow a 3 tonne boat if desired. A real work horse. The I-Pace is in comparison a small car.

And saying all this, if you would put a Model X P100D beside that I-pace, it will humiliate it. Does 0-60 in 2,9 sec.

Just a cheap and desperate marketing trick from Jaguar. Nothing more.
muxty

Post by muxty »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:33 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:22 pm It is quite amazing that there are what seems to be anti EV comments by the bucketload.

EV is what it will be by choice in not to many years time, like it or not the future is not ICE.

Yes I like the growl on startup of my Turbo and the roar I get from it when I put my foot down to overtake. but could I live without it, well yes if the alternative is a shedload of instant torque that will get the car past the car I intend to overtake before the Turbos spool up
I think the negativity is due to change and the simple fact that EVs are so damn quick! You only have to read comments on YouTube drag race videos to feel the resentment from old school petrolheads. It's as if Tesla have raped their daughters!
:lol:
johnd

Post by johnd »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm This reviewer seems a bit bored by the car...
Here's one with a slightly more animated presenter (albeit with an irritating background sound track in places). It's an Aussie perspective (but still from the same press bash in Portugal):

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

muxty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 pm Jaguar I-Pace vs Tesla Model X 75D and X 100D drag race videos

But why is this relevant? The vehicles are playing in complete different categories. Model X is a large 7-seater that can tow a 3 tonne boat if desired. A real work horse. The I-Pace is in comparison a small car.

And saying all this, if you would put a Model X P100D beside that I-pace, it will humiliate it. Does 0-60 in 2,9 sec.

You must have missed it in the video where the iPace outdragged the Model X 100D.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
muxty

Post by muxty »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm

You must have missed it in the video where the iPace outdragged the Model X 100D.
You must have missed what I wrote. Please re-read.

If they would have had the Model X P100D it would have looked like the I-Pace were still standing still when the X pull away. 2,9 sec vs 4,5 sec to 60 is quite some difference :D
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Suckered by the old bait and switch! The X P100D is in a performance league all of its own (0-60 in 2.9 sec kind of quick).

The base S75D is a more like for like size to the iPace and a little quicker too 4.2 vs 4.5 sec. The X 75D is a bit slow for a Q7 sized 7 seater at 4.9 sec. X 100D a tad quicker at 4.7 sec.

All these EVs are seriously real world quick and the initial launch off the line is even more impressive compared to anything with an engine, especially if the going is a bit slippery. The instant "throttle" response also makes overtaking quicker than in any ICE car I've driven, regardless of power. Petrol heads often talk about EVs running out of steam above 60 mph, but they are clutching at straws. If you only have 1 gear then obviously there is some compromise, but my X 75D pulls like a train up to 100 mph (limited to 130 mph vs iPace 124 mph which Jaguar don't seem to mention much in their marketing BS) and both the X 100D and P100D are limited to 155 mph. Supercars might start coming back at them above 100 mph, but as Monkey discovered in his 0-150 mph drag race against a 911R it took a very focused effort on the gearshifts to get there. In real life driving of course, none of that really matters. It's the instant response and stump pulling torque that you experience every time you drive.

Here's a drag race of an S 75D vs S P100D to show what's possible. The iPace is slower than the S 75D, which appears to be going at a snails pace compared to the S P100D. That drag race video Jaguar released is going to backfire when people start posting drag races against the X P100D! Of course the Tesla P100D is a lot more expensive, but anyway it will still be an eye-opener for real cutting edge EV performance and those with the deepest pockets won't care much about the price difference.

Whenever I've driven the X P100D the performance is just mind blowing for such a large car and it puts it down so effortlessly too! Here's one up against an Aventador SV and this is before the latest Tesla performance upgrade, which shaved another couple of tenths off the 0-60 time! When the Tesla Roadster appears in a couple of years, that is going to literally re-write the benchmarks for drivetrain performance. Nothing with an ICE is going to get anywhere near.

Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

In June's Car magazine, which celebrated 70 years of Porsche, there was an article on synthetic fuels. I'd not come across this before and I have no idea of the feasibility or engineering requirements in enough detail to make any assessment myself, but the article below mentions that the main driving force is a requirement for fuel for planes and ships, with cars being an added beneficiary...efficient hybrids being the probable outcome

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... nd-fiction
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:32 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm This reviewer seems a bit bored by the car...
Here's one with a slightly more animated presenter (albeit with an irritating background sound track in places). It's an Aussie perspective (but still from the same press bash in Portugal):

That's the best review I've seen so far. This reviewer obviously appreciated the core EV advantages. I think he's also dead right about the pointless "canned" engine sound. You will switch that off for sure, I guarantee! The motors make a nice sound anyway once you tune into it. They're only truly silent when cruising at constant speed. On hard acceleration they make a satisfying turbine sound anyway. I thought I would miss the flat six in my 911, but actually I don't, especially when cruising along. I like the more subtle turbine sound of the Tesla and of course the sound system is so much better without the constant drone of an engine.

@John - One thing you should know with EVs is that 22" wheels will reduce the effective range by 10-15% over 20" wheels based on Tesla experience. Also as this reviewer noted, tyre noise can be quite an irritant in such a quiet car. I've driven the Tesla X with both 20" and 22" wheels and much preferred the "smaller" wheels. They still look the part and are much more practical in every way i.e. efficiency, noise, ride quality, kerb rash, pothole damage. These are heavy cars and can feel quite harsh riding on ultra-low profile tyres. You will also likely chew through tyres pretty quickly, so consider the difference in cost between the various sizes. In truth, 18" wheels will probably be the best option of all, but they do look out of proportion. Anyway, wheel size is something to pay close attention to when you test drive the iPace - especially if you want to minimise road noise and maximise range.

Speaking of range, although the new WLTP test cycle is supposed to be a lot more realistic than the outgoing NEDC cycle, don't expect to get the full 298 miles in real life. For a start, reading the small print it says that the quoted range is "model dependent", which I would interpret as base model with 18" wheels. You should be asking what range the car has with 20" or even 22" wheels if you insist on going there, but I very much doubt your local Jag dealer will have a clue! But let's say the bigger wheels drop the WLTP figure by 10%, so that's now down to 268 miles. In the winter, the cold weather will inevitably drop the range even further, let's say conservatively a further loss of 25%, so now it's only 201 miles. Add in short trips with lots of stops and spirited driving etc, you could end up with a worst case range of 150 miles or less. It's no different to the variable fuel consumption you see in an ICE car, but you notice it more simply because of the limited range. Another point to note is that charging your battery to 100% and draining it close to 0% is not a recommended practice. Typically you work in the 80-20% range, which obviously further reduces your effective range considerably. Only charge to 100% right before a long journey and only consider dropping below 15% charge if you have no choice. Using the full battery range occasionally on long trips is fine, but will degrade the battery significantly if done on a daily basis. This will be one of the biggest tests for the new iPace as Tesla battery management is currently the best in the business and has been refined over the last decade, with very little battery degradation even when pushing the battery hard with repeated supercharging etc. Do Jaguar have that experience yet? Probably not, so you are taking a bit of a gamble there, although the battery warranty should bail you out if the degradation is excessive (check in the small print what they consider to be acceptable levels of battery degradation over mileage/time).

Certainly not trying to put you off an EV, but you need to be informed about the realities of range in these cars. To give you some idea my Model X 75D on 20" wheels (which is heavier than the iPace and slightly smaller battery) provides a realistic range of between 120 and 200 miles in various conditions, driving without compromise. The good news is that you can extend the projected range considerably if required simply by cruising 5 or 10 mph slower on the motorway. Obviously that won't allow you to go over the WLTP quoted range, but it makes all the difference if you are say 50 miles from home cruising on the motorway at 80 mph and your nav is telling you that you only have a range of 45 miles remaining. Simply dropping to 70 mph would easily give you the extra range required. Not that I ever cut it that close, but it's useful to know there is some flexibility.