Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm
I do like the Vicar of Wibbly’s car reviews.

Thanks for posting it.

His comments on the best benefit of an EV is not the 0-60 that so many are hooked on, its the on the move effortless acceleration.
Yes, a fast 0-60 time is really just a side effect but it's what the industry still insists on quoting as a reference. EV torque is available instantly and incredibly easy to modulate giving the ultimate smooth and effortless drivetrain. The kind of thing premium ICE cars have been trying to achieve for more than a century with ever more sophisticated engine management, gearboxes and clutches. EV nails it all in one go and this is why cars like the iPace will prove to be "game-changers" for many people, especially those looking for a daily driver in mixed traffic. If the iPace had a conventional petrol/diesel engine, it would attract nothing like the same level of interest. You have to feel a bit sorry for the poor old F-Pace :lol:
Agree

I used to ride big Triumph motorcycles where the torque was instant and would pull ones shoulders out of joint so I can fully appreciate your enthusiam about the delivery of your Model X.

Going back to the iPace, if one thinks of the FPace as similar to an X3 then the iPace is more like an X4. Aimed at different markets from the body shape and internal perspective.

Call me an old fuddy duddy but iPace v Tesla Model X (ie a £80k car) irrespective of target markets then I would rather drive an iPace than a Tesla, it is down to the interior layout as I want to feel cossetted and part of the car, and not perched on top of the seat as I would in a Tesla.

To each there own.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I'll probably like the iPace too. From the reviews I've read, the often repeated comments on drivetrain performance and even ride/handling are very similar to how I would describe the Model X. In that sense I think they are quite similar cars, except the X is a step bigger like a Cayenne vs Macan comparison. Obviously in style they are like chalk and cheese, but I can appreciate both approaches. I'm still a bit disappointed in the iPace interior as the concept was considerably more exciting, but it's not likely to offend anyone conservative like the Tesla clearly can!

I'm not sure what you mean about being perched on top of the seat in a Tesla. It's not really like that at all. You sit positively low compared to most traditional SUVs like RRs, XC90s etc. and there is a truly massive range of seat height adjustment with headroom to match. The front seats are quite sporty too with substantial side bolsters, not unlike the sports seats in a 911 although not quite so aggressive. What you don't get in a Tesla is a high wraparound centre console, so the centre of the cockpit is far more open, although the arm rests on both sides are perfectly placed. I should get to see an iPace at the weekend so will be interesting to compare.
Deleted User 1874

Macman wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm
I do like the Vicar of Wibbly’s car reviews.

Thanks for posting it.

His comments on the best benefit of an EV is not the 0-60 that so many are hooked on, its the on the move effortless acceleration.
Yes, a fast 0-60 time is really just a side effect but it's what the industry still insists on quoting as a reference. EV torque is available instantly and incredibly easy to modulate giving the ultimate smooth and effortless drivetrain. The kind of thing premium ICE cars have been trying to achieve for more than a century with ever more sophisticated engine management, gearboxes and clutches. EV nails it all in one go and this is why cars like the iPace will prove to be "game-changers" for many people, especially those looking for a daily driver in mixed traffic. If the iPace had a conventional petrol/diesel engine, it would attract nothing like the same level of interest. You have to feel a bit sorry for the poor old F-Pace :lol:
I think the F Pace will soldier on for a while yet while it’s £30 k cheaper than an iPace, or a Tesla :o
But it's not £30K cheaper if you want similar performance to the iPace. The new F-Pace SVR starts at £75K so will be more like £85-90K once you've ticked a few boxes and the running costs will be high. I would have no hesitation in choosing the iPace over that gas guzzling dinosaur for my everyday drive! On paper the SVR is a bit quicker, but I bet it isn't in real life unless you thrash the crap out of it in every gear, which would be pretty tiresome once the novelty wore off. The iPace will be totally effortless and piss all over it in the wet.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I can't find the article now but was on the BBC website about Formula E (it featured Branson). Currently each competitor has 2 cars for the race because of battery capacity but, due to dramatic improvements in battery technology and capacity, they will only be running one car from next year. This will filter down to the automotive industry and I am sure we will have a realistic usable range of 350 miles in the near future.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm I can't find the article now but was on the BBC website about Formula E (it featured Branson). Currently each competitor has 2 cars for the race because of battery capacity but, due to dramatic improvements in battery technology and capacity, they will only be running one car from next year. This will filter down to the automotive industry and I am sure we will have a realistic usable range of 350 miles in the near future.
Watched a couple of Formula E races last season, utter rubbish, the series take place on street circuits hence ther was hardly any overtakes and a lot of power management racing, akin to the fuel management so called racing that F1 tried and failed at.

Mind you there is talk if F1 may have no Sat practice and shorter races, to attract a younger audience, yeah a 2 hour attention span is asking a bit to much of the young.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

For anyone interested in I-Pace (and I appreciate many aren't) JLR are releasing a new set of instructional videos. The first one is here:

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am For anyone interested in I-Pace (and I appreciate many aren't) JLR are releasing a new set of instructional videos. The first one is here:
Interesting video thanks.

Not sure what the point is with the wristband vs key fob in this application, but I would quite like the idea of using a wristband as the actual key (I presumed that's what it would have been) rather than a conventional key fob in my pocket. But this seems a bit pointless having to press the boot button and then present the wristband close to the sensor. Not exactly the most convenient form of entry! I realise it gets around the relay attack vulnerability, but so does simply switching off keyless entry (or maybe you can't do that in the iPace?). Either way you have to manually press a button to open the car again.

I like the 4G wifi hotspot creation. I wish Tesla would allow that functionality too, it would be very handy for use with non-sim iPads, laptops etc.

I saw the iPace in the flesh for the first time on Saturday at the Fully Charged show at Silverstone. I'll post some pics later, but I'll be honest I didn't think much of the interior design or space. I was expecting better. Exterior design I quite like, but why make the recharging flap so massive and obvious? The large plastic flap felt cheap and flimsy too. Not a big deal, but could have been a lot more elegant.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am I saw the iPace in the flesh for the first time on Saturday at the Fully Charged show at Silverstone. I'll post some pics later, but I'll be honest I didn't think much of the interior design or space.
Interior seemed OK to me, but maybe I'm no connoisseur of premium interiors. The only thing that did strike me as a little, hmm what's the word, gaudy or garish maybe, was the HVAC control area where the use of a coloured touch screen just seems like distracting overkill. I think a good sharp greyscale/monochrome panel could have been significantly more elegant.

But for me, the I-Pace is close to Hobson's choice. I'm looking to change my current SD sometime in the next 6-9 months or so; Porsche would be my preferred choice but they just don't seem to be making a model that appeals at present. I know the FL Macan is coming but who really knows when; and difficult to foresee enough changes in the Macan spec to be much improvement over my current SD. No final decision as yet but I suspect it will be touch and go as to whether the FL specs will be available before I need to jump one way or the other.

There's no other EV on the horizon that appeals - current Teslas are too big/expensive. Model Y might well fit the bill with 4WD but availability is out in the vague future sometime - 2020 maybe? (Also slightly surprised to see that there's only one Supercharger in the whole of my home turf of East Anglia (say Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs). OK there's also one at Stansted if you count that, but nothing at all otherwise IIRC, other than Thetford).
Last edited by johnd on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real mpg at Fuelly
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am
johnd wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am For anyone interested in I-Pace (and I appreciate many aren't) JLR are releasing a new set of instructional videos. The first one is here:
Interesting video thanks.

Not sure what the point is with the wristband vs key fob in this application, but I would quite like the idea of using a wristband as the actual key (I presumed that's what it would have been) rather than a conventional key fob in my pocket. But this seems a bit pointless having to press the boot button and then present the wristband close to the sensor. Not exactly the most convenient form of entry! I realise it gets around the relay attack vulnerability, but so does simply switching off keyless entry (or maybe you can't do that in the iPace?). Either way you have to manually press a button to open the car again.

I like the 4G wifi hotspot creation. I wish Tesla would allow that functionality too, it would be very handy for use with non-sim iPads, laptops etc.

I saw the iPace in the flesh for the first time on Saturday at the Fully Charged show at Silverstone. I'll post some pics later, but I'll be honest I didn't think much of the interior design or space. I was expecting better. Exterior design I quite like, but why make the recharging flap so massive and obvious? The large plastic flap felt cheap and flimsy too. Not a big deal, but could have been a lot more elegant.
The idea behind the wristband is that its waterproof. Quite handy in my case for when I go windsurfing by myself for instance. I currently have to hide the key somewhere around the car.

I saw one in the flesh too, loved the design in and out, but was disappointed with its size. So low and short in real life, it almost fits the VW golf category.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm I saw one in the flesh too, loved the design in and out, but was disappointed with its size. So low and short in real life, it almost fits the VW golf category.

Did you look at the actual measurements? It's within 2-3mm of the Macan in length and I'm guessing roughly the same max height (depending on whether air is fitted, whether it's pumped up or not etc). And I do quite like the idea of the 500mm wading depth (not that I'd ever use that I imagine, but it's a nice idea). Interior space definitely greater than Macan, especially in the back.

Maybe the proportions are deceptive?

Real mpg at Fuelly