Porsche Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

During an idle moment over the weekend I looked up what was going on with the Taycan (used to be Mission E). Apparently being released next year with deliveries late 2019. So my question is this; what do you think will happen to residuals in the short term? I mean in the first 9-12 months? Do you think that demand will massively exceed supply, like the early Macans? There are several on this forum who had 2 or 3 Macans early on and suffered almost no depreciation at all. Do you think the Taycan will be similar or will demand be lower and people more wary of new technology?

Apparently the price will be in the £60-70k bracket. So if getting in early and selling after 9-12 months, I wonder if there will be a bit of a "bubble" like there was with the early Macans. If demand massively exceeds supply then there could be minimal or no depreciation. Of course I could get stuck with 15% depreciation which would cost £10k - not a good idea for 9 months in a ev, however good it is.

Porsche Taycan Forum

So what do you all think?

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

My prediction is that early Taycans will go to the usual ‘VIP’ suspects who are normally head of the queue for the ‘GT’ cars etc... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I suspect it depends on whether PCP will dominate the ownership landscape of pure EVs from Porsche, whether the version 1.0 is really a Tesla-like 0.5beta and plagued with issues that can't be fixed with software, etc etc.

But I also agree that it will go to the VIPs and high-turnover merchants.

Real enthusiasts may be better off waiting a year.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Residuals on the current range of EV especially Hybrids generally aren’t great. Whether that affects the Taycan remains to be seen but as it won’t be a higher numbers seller like the Macan was I don’t see it replicating that residual performance.
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

It’s a Porsche so residuals will be strong for the first 18 months as they are with virtually every new model they release because demand will outstrip supply
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I was one of those that went through about 4 Macans with pretty minimal depreciation. I've already put down expression of interest for one and as people have said above, it will probably go to existing customers first as already quite a few letters of intent in at my dealership.

My prediction would be that demand will exceed supply so residuals will probably be pretty strong.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think demand will be high relative to supply, so expect very strong residuals. But are they really talking about late 2019 now for first deliveries? I thought this was supposed to be a 2018 car, but now sounding more realistically like 2020+ for most ordinary customers.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Expect strong residuals on the Taycan. If you look at emissions legislation in major cities, London with the ULEZ in 2019 is going to drive substantial demand for the car.

I think real world tests on range and charging will also impact demand.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

alxgb wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am Expect strong residuals on the Taycan. If you look at emissions legislation in major cities, London with the ULEZ in 2019 is going to drive substantial demand for the car.

I think real world tests on range and charging will also impact demand.
True. My wife was in London on a business trip the other week and was surprised how many Teslas she saw in town. But I think the demand will be strong simply on the novelty factor of a performance EV from Porsche. If you've already owned a string of 911s, Panameras etc, it's bound to attract your attention as something "different" to try.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

No doubt residuals will be strong following initial deliveries, but will it be a fully resolved Porsche? Probably and hopefully so, but if not then residuals will slide on the early production run. Until real world consumers are convinced it will be the early adopters and motoring journalists' reports and enthusiasm that will set the tone for residuals.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver