Porsche Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Guy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:06 pm
goron59 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:06 pm
For me, actually, detouring to an OPC would be more convenient than detouring to a Tesla Supercharger. I have an OPC quite nearby, and it isn't embedded in a shopping centre carpark or hotel.
An OPC near your home is not really the point, it's when you are far from home and out of range that you need to rely on rapid chargers. I suppose you could pop in and get a quick free charge now and then, but I doubt you would use it as often as you think. My nearest Tesla Supercharger is about 12 miles away, but I never use it.
I suppose it depends whether you are able to charge at home or not. On street parkers, or those with underground parking (but no power) would find a local OPC charger quite useful, I'd imagine.
I honestly don't think it would be practical to rely on an OPC for daily charging. Rapid charging on a daily basis is not good for battery life either. But there are a few Tesla owners who Supercharge daily, so it can be done. It's just not a very good long term solution. If I couldn't charge at home overnight I wouldn't be driving an EV right now, or even a plug in hybrid.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

For me, actually, detouring to an OPC would be more convenient than detouring to a Tesla Supercharger. I have an OPC quite nearby, and it isn't embedded in a shopping centre carpark or hotel.
An OPC near your home is not really the point, it's when you are far from home and out of range that you need to rely on rapid chargers. I suppose you could pop in and get a quick free charge now and then, but I doubt you would use it as often as you think. My nearest Tesla Supercharger is about 12 miles away, but I never use it.
Respectfully, it is the point for me. I can't charge at home so a 20 min coffee break 5 miles from home to get a decent charge will be very useful.
You're right that I wouldn't use it as often as I think, and the reason why I won't/can't have an full EV. It's just too much of a hassle.
If I could install a fast charger (or even a slowish charger) at home, I def have an EV. Prob a Leaf though :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:01 pm
Respectfully, it is the point for me. I can't charge at home so a 20 min coffee break 5 miles from home to get a decent charge will be very useful.
You're right that I wouldn't use it as often as I think, and the reason why I won't/can't have an full EV. It's just too much of a hassle.
If I could install a fast charger (or even a slowish charger) at home, I def have an EV. Prob a Leaf though :-)
I fully understand and that's what I was getting at. An EV would be too much hassle without home charging. The fastest you can charge at home is 8 kW on single phase or 16 kW on 3-phase. For most people that's plenty quick enough for overnight charging. I've never needed a faster home charge than 8 kW so never considered upgrading to 3-phase. It takes about 6 hours to go from 20-80% and I sometimes top up during the day if I'm home. On many days I don't even use that kind of range so I end up charging maybe 3 or 4 hours overnight to top back up. I haven't been on a garage forecourt since Feb and don't miss that at all! The convenience of starting out every morning with 80% or more charge is better than I expected. I often used to get caught out on a low fuel tank when I was in a hurry to get somewhere. With an EV only really long trips require more planning than normal.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

F7C3A7C6-10DC-4805-AB04-C1B1DA280BCB.jpeg

No problem recharging Goron if you do get an EV, the main car park in Preston now has a bank of charging stations.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 pm No problem recharging Goron if you do get an EV, the main car park in Preston now has a bank of charging stations.
Civilisation was bound to reach Preston eventually.
Doesn't help me an any way though.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:45 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 pm No problem recharging Goron if you do get an EV, the main car park in Preston now has a bank of charging stations.
Civilisation was bound to reach Preston eventually.
That’s stretching in a bit.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags