GLC 63 / Levante

The place to discuss everything else..
JJay

Post by JJay »

:shock: 10 years ago I’d have considered a Quattroporte, now...?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

andreas wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm
Despite looking at many Mercs just how they can make leather seats look like the plastic seats we had in the sixties is beyong me.
Some good friends bought a used E-class saloon with the plastic MB-Tex upholstery. To this day, they're convinced that it's leather!
:lol:
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

One of the things that persuaded me to go for the Porsche (besides the fact that car looks so good) was strong residuals and relative scarcity.

As good as the Merc may be, ultimately the Merc is a mass produced brand and to me that devalues the entire range. As awesome as some of their cars might be, I’d never swap my Porsche for a similar priced Merc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Paul

Post by Paul »

Back to Maserati residuals, I see on the TV ads tonight you can now rent one from Sixt for £79 a day.........slippery slope when a manufacturer starts into the daily rental market.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I wouldn't touch the GLC with a barge pole. All RHD GLC's have a steering geometry design fault, which causes tyre crabbing under certain conditions, mainly low speed near full lock. Sounds like a nightmare.
Retired

Post by Retired »

McLovin wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 am I wouldn't touch the GLC with a barge pole. All RHD GLC's have a steering geometry design fault, which causes tyre crabbing under certain conditions, mainly low speed near full lock. Sounds like a nightmare.
I guess you won't be buying a Cayman / 911( depending on model spec) as they have the same 'design fault'. Only it's not a fault.

Do a search on 'ackermann steering' if you want to know more.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

That’s true ... After gladly handing back the keys after a GLC Amg, weekend, I was a bit red faced when the caymans Iv had on loan , had the same . However I will say I had no confidence in corners in the GLC it just didn’t feel right.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Retired wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:39 am
McLovin wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 am I wouldn't touch the GLC with a barge pole. All RHD GLC's have a steering geometry design fault, which causes tyre crabbing under certain conditions, mainly low speed near full lock. Sounds like a nightmare.
I guess you won't be buying a Cayman / 911( depending on model spec) as they have the same 'design fault'. Only it's not a fault.

Do a search on 'ackermann steering' if you want to know more.
I believe it's much worse on the GLC, especially the 43 and 63. And it doesn't occur on LHD GLC's, hence it's reasonable to describe it as a design fault on RHD models. There is a small change in steering geometry between LHR and RHD vehicles which causes the RHD models to be outside the Ackermann range under certain conditions. You can google "Mercedes Crabbing" to see the myriad of complaints and referrals to the motoring Ombudsman. MB have been trying to mask the issue by fitting all weather tyres, with mixed success depending on the temperature. I test drove a 43 and the crabbing was terrible. So bought a Macan S and have experienced no such issues.