EV charging - it beggars belief.

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nissan defends Leaf over claims buyers were misled

Published 05 July 2018
Nissan has hit back at reports that owners of the electric Leaf were misled about charging times.

According to a report by the BBC, prospective buyers were told they could use rapid chargers at motorway service stations to charge the battery to 80 per cent in just 40 minutes. This was later changed to between 40 and 60 minutes.

However, some drivers claim that Nissan didn't make it clear that, if you try to use rapid chargers twice in one day, the second charge could take several hours. Now the car manufacturer has responded saying that this is essential to preserve the battery.

'The 2018 Nissan Leaf has charging safeguards to protect the battery during repeated fast charging sessions in a short period of time,' said Nissan in a statement.

"If Nissan at the start had said what the car is capable of, without exaggerating the fact on their website, I'd have been fine with it"

'While the safeguards may increase charging times after multiple fast charging sessions, they are important to maintaining battery life over an extended time period.'

John Weatherley told the BBC that he had to wait two-and-a-half hours to charge his Leaf for a second time during a 300 mile trip to the Lake District.

"If Nissan at the start had said what the car is capable of, without exaggerating the fact on their website, I'd have been fine with it," he said.

"They said they could charge in 40 to 60 minutes, so I believed them. But it's not true. The advertising is totally misleading."

Weatherley discovered that rapid charging was only intended for use once in a journey when he wrote to Nissan to complain.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is reportedly looking into the claims that buyers have been misled, but the industry body has refused to confirm whether this is the case.

The Nissan Leaf has a claimed 235-mile range following on electric charge, but some owners are also unhappy that this range is unrealistic. It comes as the number of alternatively-fuelled vehicles continues to rocket - despite HonestJohn.co.uk data revealing that ninety-eight per cent of hybrid cars can't match their advertised MPG.

Nissan has admitted to falsifying emission and fuel economy data at its factories in Japan. The admission was made after the carmaker participated in a voluntary internal inspection of working procedures at its factories.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Paul

Post by Paul »

What?!...a manufacturer falsifying emission and fuel economy data? ...surely notπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
johnd

Post by johnd »

SAC1 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm It comes as the number of alternatively-fuelled vehicles continues to rocket - despite HonestJohn.co.uk data revealing that ninety-eight per cent of hybrid cars can't match their advertised MPG.
As compared to 100% of Porsche cars presumably? (Not able to match their advertised MPG) :evil:

This does look like a design fault by Nissan though in AIUI failing to design in adequate battery cooling to permit repeat fast charging, unlike many other EVs.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Paul

Post by Paul »

Although no manufacturer β€œ advertises” mpg, merely reports the results of a standardised imposed european rolling road test, designed to be able to make direct, like for like comparisons (except when they cheatπŸ˜‚)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
goron59

Post by goron59 »

"honestjohn" is like the "independent". entirely the opposite of what the name suggests.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

goron59 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 am "honestjohn" is like the "independent". entirely the opposite of what the name suggests.
That sounds a little cynical Goron, what do you base that on?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 am "honestjohn" is like the "independent". entirely the opposite of what the name suggests.
I always think of it as the "Ladybird" book of cars. The sort of thing my gran might read while choosing a car.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am
I always think of it as the "Ladybird" book of cars. The sort of thing my gran might read while choosing a car.
It was a BBC report....but you probably think they're the Andy Pandy of broadcasting. LOL :lol:

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am
It was a BBC report....but you probably think they're the Andy Pandy of broadcasting. LOL :lol:

Capture.PNG
I was talking about Honest John, but since you mention it the BBC increasingly seem to go for shallow click bait stories these days too. Popular media journalism is basically junk. The BBC are perhaps the best of a very poor bunch!

I remember reading this BBC report and one guy was quoted as buying a Leaf specifically for use on long journeys and yet he totally failed to understand that official NEDC range is not what you would actually get in real life - it's just the usual unrealistic Euro test cycle that ICE cars quote their equally unrealistic consumption figures from. For example my car has an official NEDC range of 259 miles, but in reality I get around 150-200 miles depending on conditions. But I knew that before I bought the car because I did some actual research on the owners forums. The BBC basically cherry picked the most stupid Leaf owners possible, although I was a little more sympathetic about the multiple rapid charging problem. But seriously you don't buy a Leaf with the intention of doing 300+ mile non-stop trips!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am

Capture.PNG
Well Nissan certainly did not lie, they did say that they could use the rapid charging network.

They just failed to clarify that the rapid charging would not be as rapid as the owner may expect for the second radid charge in a day.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags