Home charging - new home requirement

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

andreas wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:58 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm I think we've got to be pragmatic about it. If we can easily switch to using an EV (i.e. we have the facility for home charging and we are not driving many hundreds of miles from home on a daily basis) then it makes sense to do so. It's not going to save the planet by itself, but that's no excuse to just stick our heads in the sand and continue driving unsustainable ICE vehicles unless we really need to.
Autocar had an interesting article a couple of months ago which mentioned the carbon footprints of various types of vehicle. EVs are not particularly great.
The most credible lifecycle study I've seen recently was the MIT report, which clearly stated that full BEVs had a much lower overall footprint than ICE or hybrid vehicles. I don't remember the actual figures but IIRC it was in the order of 30-40% reduction for equivalent vehicles. Quite a big step change. It also pointed out that even if the world switched entirely to BEVs for personal transport we still wouldn't be able to meet long term future emission targets. It doesn't look good if you look at the facts and how slowly governments and industry act, especially when action is not necessarily in their short term interests.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:16 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm
SAC1 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 pm
So 99.5% of the not inconsiderable 1.4m sales were non-EV in the past 6 months.
Which is why future air pollution reduction targets are very unlikely to be met. Although I do think we are at a cusp of an exponential change in the mix of car types sold in the next decade. EV sales are going to rapidly increase over the next few years, mostly with a large scale move by manufacturers to PHEVs. I expect it will all be too little too late to have the sort of impact we really need and the health issues surrounding air pollution will continue long into the future. For example in today's headline news (but not necessarily true):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45034972
Obviously dependent on which area you live and in the largest UK cities a worry......however, the checker shows for my area:
"This is the same as the average for Wiltshire, which is 1 out of 6 (good)."
"This is the same as the average for Mendip [East Somerset], which is 1 out of 6 (good)."

and around here diesel engined vehicles are still predominant.
Likewise I live in a rural area of good air quality, but whenever I visit a city or even a town the smell of diesel fumes is not a great feature. A recent visit to central London in the heatwave confirmed how glad I am not to live there. It's literally a shit hole of a place to breathe in.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:16 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:16 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Which is why future air pollution reduction targets are very unlikely to be met. Although I do think we are at a cusp of an exponential change in the mix of car types sold in the next decade. EV sales are going to rapidly increase over the next few years, mostly with a large scale move by manufacturers to PHEVs. I expect it will all be too little too late to have the sort of impact we really need and the health issues surrounding air pollution will continue long into the future. For example in today's headline news (but not necessarily true):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45034972
Obviously dependent on which area you live and in the largest UK cities a worry......however, the checker shows for my area:
"This is the same as the average for Wiltshire, which is 1 out of 6 (good)."
"This is the same as the average for Mendip [East Somerset], which is 1 out of 6 (good)."

and around here diesel engined vehicles are still predominant.
Likewise I live in a rural area of good air quality, but whenever I visit a city or even a town the smell of diesel fumes is not a great feature. A recent visit to central London in the heatwave confirmed how glad I am not to live there. It's literally a shit hole of a place to breathe in.
As I understand it pollution figures can be misleading as the methodology gives an average.

For example my postcode is a 1. The site also shows Cheltenham as a whole as a 1 however it’s known and clear that various points easily fail the EU maximums at different times.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Paul

Post by Paul »

Equally, it depend who is measuring what (or should it be which?) flavour of the month.

C02 seems to be impossible to bring down globally....so we are now measuring NO s instead....until we find we can’t bring those down so easily and we’ll find some other nasty to “reduce”

(Cynical? Me?....!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465