Home charging - new home requirement

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

Macan S D
718 S

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I wonder if he grasps the zero emission at point of use concept?

We're already hearing about a shortage of Cobalt, mining Uranium is incredibly dirty and unsafe, tyre and brake dust will be the next target.

We need to be incentivised to stay at home more and stop buying rubbish transported in dirty container ships burning Orimulsion Mk2.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Heaven help us from so called Experts advising Governments.

The best way for homes would be the Tesla way, solar panels, battery storage packs, a total self contained system.

Whilst the concept for new homes may well be sound, if not properly instigated there would be massive problems, move away from the development to the nearest Electrical Transformer and that may well need upgrading, then the High Voltage supply to said device may very well not be sized to deliver the power required. Move out to the Power Stations then there is another problem, at 19:45 tomorrow night all the power generating locations within England will be under severe pressure as millions of kettles get put on during half time of the England World Cup match, now move on to millions of cars being charged at home and again the current systems could not cope.

As I have been saying for the last couple of years, the infrastructure has to be there and that is not just about adding charging stations in every available location.

Office and Factory charging is a total laugh, each development does not have enough car parking spaces for the staff working in said office building. I moved 120 staff from cramped old building into a one floor of a three floor commercial office block where we were allocated 1/3 of the available car parking spaces which were only 26.

Another place I worked had 3500 staff and 2000 car parking spaces.

I agree with Tim, it is a total waste of World resources for the goods and food we need to be built and grown on the other side of the World and transported via air and sea. The economic model does not make any long term sense, by long term I do not mean 5-20 years, I mean 100 years plus. We are putting the whole planet at risk.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think we've got to be pragmatic about it. If we can easily switch to using an EV (i.e. we have the facility for home charging and we are not driving many hundreds of miles from home on a daily basis) then it makes sense to do so. It's not going to save the planet by itself, but that's no excuse to just stick our heads in the sand and continue driving unsustainable ICE vehicles unless we really need to. Also if we can employ renewable energy in our homes, then we should do that too and it makes sense that new builds should be moving that way, although I see little more than token gesture efforts at present.

I think we're now sitting on the cusp of a large shift in our everyday use of power. Interestingly I believe our overall grid demand has actually dropped in the last decade, partly due to recession, but also due to improved energy efficiency e.g. smart heating controls, LED lighting etc. and yet the potential to improve energy efficiency further has hardly been exploited. Interesting/scary times ahead!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Total car sales from Jan to June 2018 were 1,401,811 down -6,5%.
No doubt all the negative press about ICE was somewhat to blame.

Total EV car sales were just 7,441 or 0.5% of total sales. Fewer sales than Jan to June 2017.
No doubt lack of recharging points [unless home charging is available] is to blame.

it is now being suggested that 'ultra-low-emission vehicles' are the future solution - vehicles with pure-electric engines, plug-in hybrid engines or cars with CO2 emissions below 75g / km at the tailpipe. Capable of operating in zero-tail-pipe-emission mode for at least 20 miles.

Confused? You will be. The Government formally announced last week that it'll now settle for "at least 50 per cent of new car sales being ultra low emission by 2030". So......50 per cent will not need to be!! So these medium to high emission vehicles will be alright to register and own.
Last edited by SAC1 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I cannot disagree with any of the above re infrastructure, resources, ethics etc but feel the sales figures themselves may well be misleading inasmuch as most retail related sales figures are down, as is business investment, simply because of huge uncertainties that are currently prevalent.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Dandock wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:13 pm I cannot disagree with any of the above re infrastructure, resources, ethics etc but feel the sales figures themselves may well be misleading inasmuch as most retail related sales figures are down, as is business investment, simply because of huge uncertainties that are currently prevalent.
Overall as stated car sales were down, but....
EVs were just 0.5% of all cars actually sold.
So 99.5% of the not inconsiderable 1.4m sales were non-EV in the past 6 months.

As a result of WLTP it's the non-EV sales that are severely affected. I ordered a new petrol engined SEAT car in May and they still cannot give me an accurate delivery date. So it suggests that many thousands of ICE sales were 'lost' in the first 6 months of this year.
EVs are not affected in this way.
Steve

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Which is why future air pollution reduction targets are very unlikely to be met. Although I do think we are at a cusp of an exponential change in the mix of car types sold in the next decade. EV sales are going to rapidly increase over the next few years, mostly with a large scale move by manufacturers to PHEVs. I expect it will all be too little too late to have the sort of impact we really need and the health issues surrounding air pollution will continue long into the future. For example in today's headline news (but not necessarily true):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45034972
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm
SAC1 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Which is why future air pollution reduction targets are very unlikely to be met. Although I do think we are at a cusp of an exponential change in the mix of car types sold in the next decade. EV sales are going to rapidly increase over the next few years, mostly with a large scale move by manufacturers to PHEVs. I expect it will all be too little too late to have the sort of impact we really need and the health issues surrounding air pollution will continue long into the future. For example in today's headline news (but not necessarily true):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45034972
Obviously dependent on which area you live and in the largest UK cities a worry......however, the checker shows for my area:
"This is the same as the average for Wiltshire, which is 1 out of 6 (good)."
"This is the same as the average for Mendip [East Somerset], which is 1 out of 6 (good)."

and around here diesel engined vehicles are still predominant.
Steve

andreas

Post by andreas »

Peteski wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm I think we've got to be pragmatic about it. If we can easily switch to using an EV (i.e. we have the facility for home charging and we are not driving many hundreds of miles from home on a daily basis) then it makes sense to do so. It's not going to save the planet by itself, but that's no excuse to just stick our heads in the sand and continue driving unsustainable ICE vehicles unless we really need to.
Autocar had an interesting article a couple of months ago which mentioned the carbon footprints of various types of vehicle. EVs are not particularly great.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 17.55.24.png

Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)