Porsche Experience Day

The place to discuss everything else..
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I am sure this has been mentioned on here before, but if you've ever doubted the Macan's capabilities, book yourself a session at Silverstone with the Porsche team. I was gob smacked and only threw around the S. In fact, I waved the white flag after 4 launch control starts after my stomach was basically nudging the roof of my mouth. This was after a full 90 minutes of track, ice and loss of control simulations. These cars are engineered beyond what anyone can throw at them and if you ever have thought otherwise, try a day like this. Unbelievable. I'm going back actually! :lol:

G

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you had a great session.

Quite a few (a lot) have been on the same session.

Its a 1/2 day with meals and we automatically get an invite for the free session when we place a deposit. The time being spent in a Porsche variant of the type that we are buying, the configuration is just as is.

Additionally there is a Porsche Range Day where you get time in each of the models available with an off road demo in a Cayenne. My session was in a Macan Turbo PP, a 911 C4GTS, a Boxster S and a Panamera S.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

👍
I’ve owned and driven some quick cars in my life but I’ve only once experienced “ tunnel vision” during a series of launch control starts in a humble Carera S!
Hooning around the circuit in a boxster takes some beating!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

My track day was in a red GTS. First time I’ve ever done anything like it.
I’ll be honest, I really struggled with the ice hill, I was convinced I was going to flip the car.

But by the end of the session I was getting more and more confident on the track and the launch control sessions were brilliant. My car was quick, but I was behind a GT3 so it’s all relative.

It made me think that all car drivers should have to do something similar. Despite the fun element, even as a 30 years experienced driver there is so much to learn.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
VanB

Post by VanB »

Personally I think tuition at PEC should be mandatory before taking delivery of a high powered car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 am Personally I think tuition at PEC should be mandatory before taking delivery of a high powered car

Very wise.

I have frequently suggested that anyone going to the PEC ask their Instructor to take them on a couple of demo laps where the Instructor shows them the lines to take and the finesse nuances required for car control.

Lets not forget that the Instructors are not just race trained they are also qualified ADI’s and hence way better drivers than the vast majority of us.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am
VanB wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 am Personally I think tuition at PEC should be mandatory before taking delivery of a high powered car

Very wise.

I have frequently suggested that anyone going to the PEC ask their Instructor to take them on a couple of demo laps where the Instructor shows them the lines to take and the finesse nuances required for car control.

Lets not forget that the Instructors are not just race trained they are also qualified ADI’s and hence way better drivers than the vast majority of us.
And some very good tips they give too. Going around with an instructor at the wheel confirms that most of us will never drive these cars anywhere near the limit of their capabilities and that is very reassuring.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
John_M

Post by John_M »

VanB wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:14 pm Going around with an instructor at the wheel confirms that most of us will never drive these cars anywhere near the limit of their capabilities and that is very reassuring.
And yet some will spend lots of effort persuading us we need the absolute best tyres - when we won't get anywhere near the performance of the "lower" choice of two very good ones