new 911 (992)

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Cowan,

Sorry to hear that you’ve had a few issues with your 991, but good to learn that nonetheless, you’re loving it overall. :)

I think the 911 is an outstanding and iconic car, and feel privileged to own one, and fortunate that I can make it fit in with my usage & family circumstances.

Still lots of speculation about the 992, although Porsche are gradually allowing/encouraging photos of cars that are less and less disguised. Looks to me like the blue one in that link might have 21” wheels, which makes quite a difference to the look of the car.

No doubt when the official 992 is fully revealed later this year, it will attract lots of positive comments and an orderly queue will begin to form. ;)

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

steve w

Post by steve w »

As COL LAMB states there might be other marques out there that might look superior to the 911 but none have the admiration that the 911 have unless you pay double the price and how many are still in production after 50 years they might do zilch for some people but I’ve run 2 Macans an SD and GTS and as brilliant as they are to me they were a stepping stone to the Carrara 4S we have purchased and the Macans cannot compete with these true sports cars,will we see a Macan production in 50 years time as we have with the 911 I doubt it,as a every day vehicle the 911are easy to use but we have a Golf GTI for the every day work where we need more room but believe me this 50 year old design is the envy of every sports car manufacturer throughout the world who would give billions to be in the same position.
SteveW

in the same position.
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:43 pm Hi Cowan,

Sorry to hear that you’ve had a few issues with your 991, but good to learn that nonetheless, you’re loving it overall. :)

I think the 911 is an outstanding and iconic car, and feel privileged to own one, and fortunate that I can make it fit in with my usage & family circumstances.

Still lots of speculation about the 992, although Porsche are gradually allowing/encouraging photos of cars that are less and less disguised. Looks to me like the blue one in that link might have 21” wheels, which makes quite a difference to the look of the car.

No doubt when the official 992 is fully revealed later this year, it will attract lots of positive comments and an orderly queue will begin to form. ;)

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon,

Last time we had communication it was on Rennlist back in April, if you remember.. A 911 section is needed on here!!
Regards the 911.. I've been a bit unlucky.. a new windscreen after 2 weeks.. TPM failed a week later.. suspicious leak near side front wheel arch.. still under investigation.. cracked water pump and a coolant leak.. all within 3500miles.. car now 4 months old, of which 1 month at the OPC and counting.. Sorry for thread drift! Again.. it's still an epic car! Good to hear you're enjoying your T!

Agree with SteveW in that after two Macans, and a Cayenne in my case.. a 911 seemed an inevitability in hindsight. Knowing the new 911 was only a year away from being unveiled, I did harbour a slight reservation in taking the last of the available 991.2, but after the increasingly revealing 992 spy shots I feel I can rest easy as the 992 isn't a leap forward in design terms... plus my marriage will remain intact!

cheers,
Cowan
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Cowan,

I sincerely hope that your woes will now come to an end, and you’ll enjoy several years of trouble-free 911 motoring! :)

Since 6th April I’ve done 5,269 miles according to Porsche Connect, averaging 45mph and 30.4 mpg.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Semerka wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:59 pm The thing with 911's is that they are so easy to live with and to use as an everyday car, yet sporty when you want to. Perhaps that's why they are so popular. They are also the most recognisable cars on the roads. They are expensive, but not compared to similar cars with similar practicality from other manufacturers. That's my three pence. 😎
I just do not get this ... easy to live and to use

comment that gets used oh so often.

It is all relative.

Yes they look OK, they handle great, the performance is great, they are comfortable.

But as a sole, one and only car they make very little sense at all.

There is zilch storage space, the rear seats if fitted can only take limited adults who are flexible enough to squeeze into the seats.

Heck, I could not get our weekly shopping into a 911 without multiple trips to the Supermarket. This I would not mind if we had a decent road between my home and the Supermarket.

But for me the absolute worst thing about a 911 is that I cannot get out of the damn thing once I get in.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 am
Semerka wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:59 pm The thing with 911's is that they are so easy to live with and to use as an everyday car, yet sporty when you want to. Perhaps that's why they are so popular. They are also the most recognisable cars on the roads. They are expensive, but not compared to similar cars with similar practicality from other manufacturers. That's my three pence. 😎

It is all relative.

Yes they look OK, they handle great, the performance is great, they are comfortable.

There is zilch storage space, the rear seats if fitted can only take limited adults who are flexible enough to squeeze into the seats.

Heck, I could not get our weekly shopping into a 911 without multiple trips to the Supermarket. This I would not mind if we had a decent road between my home and the Supermarket.

But for me the absolute worst thing about a 911 is that I cannot get out of the damn thing once I get in.
I think this is your main issue probably.

I use mine as a daily and have no problem whatsoever getting golf clubs, shopping etc. in it. The single biggest issue for me is that the doors are so damn long that it's hard to get in and out of if someone parks next to the driver's door so always have to look for a parking space next to the pavement. I'm picking my daughter up from Heathrow along with luggage later today and everything fits fine.

I do have use of a Q5 for the very occasional time I need to get more than 2 adults in my car but it is very rare so yes it is very usable day to day. Plus it's a lot of fun, very comfortable and surprisingly economical.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

+1
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Ferdie wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm+1
To parts 1 and 3 :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:55 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 am

It is all relative.

I think this is your main issue probably.

You are spot on, huge jealosy factor from me, you guys and gals in your 911’s.

Wanting a 911 (or Cayman for that matter) knowing that it is a definate no go area for me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

steve w wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 pm As COL LAMB states there might be other marques out there that might look superior to the 911 but none have the admiration that the 911 have unless you pay double the price and how many are still in production after 50 years they might do zilch for some people but I’ve run 2 Macans an SD and GTS and as brilliant as they are to me they were a stepping stone to the Carrara 4S we have purchased and the Macans cannot compete with these true sports cars,will we see a Macan production in 50 years time as we have with the 911 I doubt it,as a every day vehicle the 911are easy to use but we have a Golf GTI for the every day work where we need more room but believe me this 50 year old design is the envy of every sports car manufacturer throughout the world who would give billions to be in the same position.
SteveW

in the same position.
True. Like many companies that have an iconic product. Keep making it and people will keep buying them, even though the designers and engineers dearly (and oft stated) would love to make something else.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR