New commuter

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm
j5kol wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 am i use an ultra economical Golf diesel for commuting.
Why not go mega-economical for your commute in an e-Golf?
Funny you suggested that.

Arif has been using a Beamer i3 and it seems to practically cost him nothing.

I test drove one and when we got back there was more range showing than there was when we started.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

A bit left field but I had a Mini Cooper D for my 136 mile a day commute which chopped in for a 2 year old SLK 250d in January as I wanted something a bit more fun for the summer and I missed not having a convertible after selling my Boxster 2 years ago. I get 56 MPG average and it costs £30 a year RFL so not bad running costs either. The problem I have now is my contract unexpectedly finished at the beginning of July and so I've hardly used it since then as I much prefer the Macan or Cayman to drive. Depending on what I end up doing work wise I'll either keep it if I have a long commute or will seriously think about trading it for a V8 Mustang.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
VanB

Post by VanB »

If it’s been reliable until now and properly maintained I would agree with others that keeping it makes the most sense unless you want a change. The Diesel engine should go on for another 300k plus miles without missing a beat so it’s the other bits and pieces that will need replacing and still way cheaper than replacing a reliable commuter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Sorry to report back guys, but the itch i wanted to scratch, i scratched it and took the plunge. A very quick turnaround saw me pick up a very clean Audi A3 1.6tdi S Line on a 14 plate. I got a really good offer for my beloved golf and the A3 has been well looked after by its previous one owner. I am really impressed with the drive of the A3 and the cabin is fantastic, coupled with the fact that it has been spec'd with a Bang & Olufsen system. Needless to say, i am satisfied now (well for the time being) and will enjoy both the Macan and A3 for the foreseeable future.