Elon Musk in hot water again.

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Oh well, looks like the Model 3 doesn't currently have a heated steering wheel or the fancy HEPA/Carbon filtering like the S/X. But from past experience they will probably add those features at some point if there is enough demand.

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:51 pm Oh well, looks like the Model 3 doesn't currently have a heated steering wheel or the fancy HEPA/Carbon filtering like the S/X. But from past experience they will probably add those features at some point if there is enough demand.

Sadface :cry: but perhaps to be included prior to UK delivery :)

Peteski, is there a (good) Tesla forum, similar to this one that you recommend?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Deleted User 1874

Tall Phil wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:51 pm Oh well, looks like the Model 3 doesn't currently have a heated steering wheel or the fancy HEPA/Carbon filtering like the S/X. But from past experience they will probably add those features at some point if there is enough demand.

Yeah shame about those missing features, but being able to pre-heat the cabin is a huge bonus when coming from a conventional car, so it will be less of an issue than you may think. But I'm hoping they will add more options too.

I use this Tesla forum, but I warn you it's full of trolls, fanboys and obsessive pedants! The UK specific part is quite limited, but there is tons of info on the Model specific forums.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/ ... eland.114/
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah shame about those missing features, but being able to pre-heat the cabin is a huge bonus when coming from a conventional car, so it will be less of an issue than you may think. But I'm hoping they will add more options too.

I use this Tesla forum, but I warn you it's full of trolls, fanboys and obsessive pedants! The UK specific part is quite limited, but there is tons of info on the Model specific forums.

Yes, I have looked at that one and you are right :lol: thanks anyway.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm One thing that would concern me if ordering right now is that the standard spec seems to be changing almost weekly with things being stripped out as EM constantly tries to streamline production. As does the price which is going up a bit and down a bit.

I’m pretty sure they’ll survive but whether it’s in its current form remains to be seen. However he tinkers it seems that one overarching fact is a constant that threaten the margin; that the worker to car ratio is way, way over that of the heritage manufacturers. And this when EVs are regarded as easier to build, and Tesla in particular have rationalised the design way beyond the conventional.
IF you followed Tesla specs you would see that there is a long history of continuous spec changes and they do not follow the conventional model year designations. Right now they are reducing the interior trim choices on the S and X ahead of a major interior refresh due next year. They also made some of the previous upgrade options standard and made corresponding price adjustments (slightly lower overall if you had specced those previous options).

As for margins, I think you'll find Tesla has class leading margins on all its cars. Like in the order of 20%-30% which is pretty much unheard of in conventional cars, never mind EVs! It's one thing they've always really focused on and is now finally starting to show overall profits.
I’m not anti Tesla but just trying to get my round some of the facts and figures.

So, if they brought down their worker to car ratio they’d be vastly more profitable again. All of which suggests a few things.

That EM is either just throwing staff at the manufacturing to get cars out on the road and market or the process is flawed.

Secondly if EVs are radically cheaper to produce than ICE vehicles then why are Tesla so expensive?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm One thing that would concern me if ordering right now is that the standard spec seems to be changing almost weekly with things being stripped out as EM constantly tries to streamline production. As does the price which is going up a bit and down a bit.

I’m pretty sure they’ll survive but whether it’s in its current form remains to be seen. However he tinkers it seems that one overarching fact is a constant that threaten the margin; that the worker to car ratio is way, way over that of the heritage manufacturers. And this when EVs are regarded as easier to build, and Tesla in particular have rationalised the design way beyond the conventional.
IF you followed Tesla specs you would see that there is a long history of continuous spec changes and they do not follow the conventional model year designations. Right now they are reducing the interior trim choices on the S and X ahead of a major interior refresh due next year. They also made some of the previous upgrade options standard and made corresponding price adjustments (slightly lower overall if you had specced those previous options).

As for margins, I think you'll find Tesla has class leading margins on all its cars. Like in the order of 20%-30% which is pretty much unheard of in conventional cars, never mind EVs! It's one thing they've always really focused on and is now finally starting to show overall profits.
I’m not anti Tesla but just trying to get my round some of the facts and figures.

So, if they brought down their worker to car ratio they’d be vastly more profitable again. All of which suggests a few things.

That EM is either just throwing staff at the manufacturing to get cars out on the road and market or the process is flawed.

Secondly if EVs are radically cheaper to produce than ICE vehicles then why are Tesla so expensive?
I have no idea how Tesla achieve their 20-30% margins, but they do. I guess worker to car ratio isn't such a critical parameter in the overall scheme of things. As for price, Tesla are just following demand and supply economics. Why would they lower the product price when demand is strong and their manufacturing capacity is maxed out anyway? Maybe over time their prices will come down as their production scales up and there is more competition in the high end EV market. At least they have very healthy margins to play with, it's just their large capex that holds them back from making overall profits and they seem to have finally reached the turning point on that with Model 3 production ramp up. Q3 earnings were a big step forward. Still a long way to go, but it's looking pretty good for them now and certainly a lot less risky than just a few years ago.
Deleted User 1874

Tall Phil wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Yes, I have looked at that one and you are right :lol: thanks anyway.
:lol: The other source of info is the Tesla owners Facebook page, but it's a closed group. There is a public version too but I haven't been there. I'm not a big Facebook fan really, I prefer forums like this.