Elon Musk in hot water again.

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm
That his opinions (backed up by his wallet following his EV purchase) differ from many on here...
Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me, perhaps, that the stars aligned at the right time. The car was the right size and price and Tesla’s promo financial package and free fuel were an offer to good to refuse. A common and perfectly acceptable strategy to get market share.

I believe that the free fuel has now ended on the two top-end models. And with various government support packages ending in key markets maybe not such an attractive buy in the future.

All credit to EM. I don’t like the man or his tweets and Trump-like diversionary tactics and the constantly changing product descriptions (shuffling orders back and dropping features as and when he becomes aware of the margins but admire his vision. It’s also interesting that back in 2008 he gave the business a 10% chance of succeeding.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Tesla, whether Nikolas or the company became more and more extravagant and far fetched as time went by. I'm not disputing the genius of either of them. Think blackberry and or Nokia and the lessons there. My point is that I wouldn't put a deposit down on a Tesla as I don't trust the credit.

And for the record, this is one of the nicer forums around and this is NOT a personal attack. I appreciate the insights, whether I believe in them or not.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It appears that buying a Tesla presents other moral dilemmas.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tesla ... =applenews
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm As you have often pointed out, Peteski, Tesla currently have the EV market to themselves so Porsche really had little option when choosing a benchmark.

While true, they could have simply ignored Tesla. But judging by the fleet of Model S and X cars the Porsche development team were using alongside the Mission E, they were more than a little curious.
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:15 pm
Paul wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm
That his opinions (backed up by his wallet following his EV purchase) differ from many on here...
Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me, perhaps, that the stars aligned at the right time. The car was the right size and price and Tesla’s promo financial package and free fuel were an offer to good to refuse. A common and perfectly acceptable strategy to get market share.

I believe that the free fuel has now ended on the two top-end models. And with various government support packages ending in key markets maybe not such an attractive buy in the future.

All credit to EM. I don’t like the man or his tweets and Trump-like diversionary tactics and the constantly changing product descriptions (shuffling orders back and dropping features as and when he becomes aware of the margins but admire his vision. It’s also interesting that back in 2008 he gave the business a 10% chance of succeeding.
Just to be clear, Tesla low rate finance was the icing on the cake and far from the main reason why we bought one. Free supercharging was a nice little bonus too, but ultimately only saves us maybe £150 per annum. It's peanuts basically unless you charge daily on superchargers, which very few people do. The big fuel saving is the cost of home electricity vs petrol/diesel and even that is not really a game-changer in the overall scheme of things, especially given the list price of a Tesla.

The main reasons we bought a Model X were 1) EV drivetrain 2) tech features and 3) size. The latter was the least important as any large SUV would have sufficed. It's just that none of the others offered such an amazingly smooth drivetrain or such advanced tech. There's literally nothing on the market to compare directly with it yet. We gave the new Volvo XC90 T8 a good test and it came a poor second place for us. The new Cayenne wasn't available otherwise that would have been on the shortlist. We did briefly take a look at the outgoing Cayenne, but was never that impressed with it anyway. While the driving dynamics were certainly on a par with the Tesla (really no better) and the build quality first class, the rest of the package was way short of the mark. Was following one of the new hybrid Cayennes yesterday (one of the PEC cars) and it looked pretty good, but I don't think we would show any interest now until there is a full BEV version.
Deleted User 1874

Nosmo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:42 pm Think blackberry and or Nokia and the lessons there. My point is that I wouldn't put a deposit down on a Tesla as I don't trust the credit.
Who do you think the Nokia is in this analogy? Wasn't it the new iPhone that came along out of the blue (complete with early teething troubles) and made all their legacy phones totally obsolete almost overnight? Or are these sort of analogies just totally pointless?
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am It appears that buying a Tesla presents other moral dilemmas.

Like pretty much everything we buy originating from the far east. Great click-bait news though.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:23 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am It appears that buying a Tesla presents other moral dilemmas.

Like pretty much everything we buy originating from the far east. Great click-bait news though.
And what from the Far East is relevant in this instance?
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Large scale exploitation of factory workers. Obviously not a moral dilemma if you never buy anything produced in the far east, but I'll bet good money you do and plenty of it too.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Large scale exploitation of factory workers. Obviously not a moral dilemma if you never buy anything produced in the far east, but I'll bet good money you do and plenty of it too.
I’m sure Tesla buy lots from China et al and that we all do whether knowingly or not but one doesn’t expect that from a developed nation. And clearly the judge doesn’t see it as pure click-bait but an issue worthy of full investigation.