Glasgow OPC

The place to discuss everything else..
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

A "brief" insight into the experiences of a newcomer to Porsche during the last two years...

Ordered a Macan S almost 3 years ago.. a very well optioned example, but nonetheless it was to my taste... Collected it after 9 months (I was lucky I didn't have to wait more than a year!). Dirt on the boot was noticed by me and it was duly sorted out.. they took a (crappy) photograph of me next to the car to take home as a memento of the "special" day (which lasted 45 minutes as they were busy and wanted to move quickly..) ... I let it go as I was more excited to get behind the wheel.. Plus I'm not really one for pomp and ceremony.. but in saying that it would have been nice to feel like your custom is valued..

All ok.. for 11 months..

Came back in and enquired about a Cayenne S Diesel.. agreed and traded Macan S in.. all ok..
Cayenne S delivery day... My dad came with me as he was interested in a 911 and the Cayenne was presented to me.. on the wrong wheels (ordered a winter wheel package).. plus the rear number plate was put on squint.. they apologised for the wheels and presented the car back to me.. still with a squint rear no. plate.. I let it go..
My dad enquired about the availability of a used 991 Cab.. They offered a 911 experience day (at Crail, I think) which eventually never materialised.. (obviously couldn't have cared less as it would seem..)

After 8 months of Cayenne ownership.. decided that the Cayenne was surplus to requirements (for different reasons) and decided to trade it in against a 911 C2.. I took a Macan SD on "lease" for 7 months until the 911 was due to arrive.. salesman said he would be in touch in January to confirm the delivery time scale.. which he didn't........ I soon learned that there was no allocation yet for a base C2.. (turns out there wasn't one) obviously the deposit of £5k had been paid back in August 2017. After ME contacting THEM was told there was only 1 slot left for a C2S.. so took it but it obviously incurred a higher cost.. (still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't called to enquire about the C2 in January...).

My parents (father in particular) wanted to get a used 911 991 Cab.. and I arranged a meeting for my parents and the Porsche salesman who I'd dealt with until now thinking he'd look after them accordingly.. The Porsche salesman couldn't have missed a bigger open goal.... The gaffs and sales pater used towards my parents beggar belief.. hence my father came back to me and said.. "I wouldn't buy a packet of sandwiches from them let alone a car..." Naturally I felt offended and embarrassed, but I still had a 911 on order.. so kept my mouth shut..
Nearer collection time my SA tried fleecing me ref. finance.. I only needed finance on a small amount but he tried to sting me, I didn't accept, sought a different route and they came (literally) grovelling back to me as not giving finance would hurt the centre blah blah blah.... negotiated a much more realistic deal. Delivery day came and I went to collect.. no effort was made whatsoever to make the collection day in any way special.. £103k car.. and there was a bubble in the rear fender protection film.. quite a big one.. Questioned it and it would be sorted the next time I was in.. it hasn't been so far... and now won't be...

Biggest issue so far is the way my parents were treated.. they were judged wrongly and treated with disdain.. My father then purchased his 991.2 Cab C2S from Leeds OPC.. I went along for their collection day and the treatment they received was better than the 4 new cars put together in my experience with Glasgow OPC..

Then the problems started which I've already mentioned in another thread.. leak at the front passenger sill.. 2 visits totalling 5 weeks in 4 months of ownership. The service department has let me down no end from a communication pov.. i.e. having to chase for information to be told.."sorry I've not been in touch...oh, I've been so busy"......We're all busy, that's NOT an excuse!!! Not to mention the availability of a Porsche curtesy vehicle... never had one.... Not to mention the inability to repatriate a car on time after four weeks.. with 3 failed consecutive attempts resulting in a lost weekend!! (oh... they didn't know where my car was for over 2 hours yesterday after I'd let them know the car hadn't been delivered between 9pm-11pm on Saturday evening.... think how that would make you feel). Again, I had to chase them up to be told it was indeed in their compound.. AFTER 2 hours of asking.. "Do they have my car?".. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Oh, and the leak is still as bad as ever after two attempts to rectify it!!!!

Being honest... Others may have experienced bigger issues with dealers, but in my case when viewed over a period of time the overall impression is one of serious attitude problems and short comings at every level in this particular centre. I cannot and will not set foot again in Glasgow OPC... I mean... 4 cars in two years?!... there is a distinct lack of respect.. the almost guaranteed offer of a further sale from my parents which was thrown away, and the inability to sort an obvious mechanical problem, and the failure to give an adequate level of service. Game over..
...and don't get me started on these so called salesman performance surveys that most customers are asked to complete nicely in order to ensure they don't lose their bonus... can't stand them.. it's not up to me to see them lose their bonus, that is a matter for the sales manager to decide...

Sorry for the long story. I really don't normally do this kind of thing as I myself am a retailer/distributor and know how damaging social media can be, but I felt I had to voice my opinion on this occasion.
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo

Paul

Post by Paul »

Sounds like a catalogue of disasters from all areas of the dealership☹️

Have you shared this with anyone at the top? It would be interesting to guage their reply (if only to see whether it is a company-wide culture which won’t change until the DP changes, or whether it’s poor middle management.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

Re the leak from the front sill. I had this on collection of my 2017 C2 GTS. In my case it was the overflow from the windscreen washer bottle.
While the car was in the workshop I received a video from the Tech saying it was a design fault and nothing could be done. However since getting the car back ( 1 year ago ) It has not leaked since despite the bottle being topped up twice
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Paul wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 am Sounds like a catalogue of disasters from all areas of the dealership☹️

Have you shared this with anyone at the top? It would be interesting to guage their reply (if only to see whether it is a company-wide culture which won’t change until the DP changes, or whether it’s poor middle management.)
I've reflected on the situation again this morning and I really don't know whether it's worth bothering to get in touch.. I'm not going back anyway. Another indication which makes me think there isn't much point in contacting them about my experience concerns the following.. On the collection day of my 911 I found myself looking at some other cars upstairs in the showroom only to be shouted at from a distance.. "anybody seeing you?" I replied, "Yes, I'm collecting a new 911 today".. This gentleman who I presume was a member of senior management, simply turned and walked away.. again at the time I didn't read too much into it, however I pick up on little details like that. I don't think they care.. I would even go so far as saying that we as Porsche customers are often disliked by porsche sales staff.. perhaps because we can buy something they cannot afford. Certainly plausible from my pov. .

I started a thread at the weekend asking if anyone had any dealings with the Kendal OPC since it was a family run business as opposed to a Sytner run branch, but later deleted it after no response. I will try them, they are further away but the journey time is the same for me. Leeds OPC gave a very good impression but at 3.5 hours away.. it's a little too far for me.

Cowan
Last edited by Scott Cowan on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Third stage wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 am Re the leak from the front sill. I had this on collection of my 2017 C2 GTS. In my case it was the overflow from the windscreen washer bottle.
While the car was in the workshop I received a video from the Tech saying it was a design fault and nothing could be done. However since getting the car back ( 1 year ago ) It has not leaked since despite the bottle being topped up twice
I've since read on Rennlist that this is indeed a common issue. Strange how Glasgow OPC have never encountered it before.. Would be great to see that video you mentioned..

cheers,

Cowan
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

I have just had a look back through my e-mails but can not find the video.

I received very bad service from my OPC ( not connected with the leak) and after politely escalating within the branch there was no Service Manager at the time. I was offered a free first service which I accepted. Reading your posts I don't think this would however satisfy you in this case
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Third stage wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm I have just had a look back through my e-mails but can not find the video.

I received very bad service from my OPC ( not connected with the leak) and after politely escalating within the branch there was no Service Manager at the time. I was offered a free first service which I accepted. Reading your posts I don't think this would however satisfy you in this case
Many thanks for taking the time to look.
You're right, a free service wouldn't be of much use to me now. I simply don't want to have anything to do with them.
I'll be trying Kendal OPC out soon.. need a new winterwheel/tire set..
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Cowan,

Very sorry indeed to hear of your woes. :(

I believe Martin on here got his GT3 991.2 with Touring Pack (the gorgeous white one) from Kendal. :geek:

Can you describe anything more about the leak from the front sill? Something else for me to look out for, along with the suspect water pump :roll:

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm Hi Cowan,

Very sorry indeed to hear of your woes. :(

I believe Martin on here got his GT3 991.2 with Touring Pack (the gorgeous white one) from Kendal. :geek:

Can you describe anything more about the leak from the front sill? Something else for me to look out for, along with the suspect water pump :roll:

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon,

check out my thread on Rennlist (991 water cooled section) https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1088791 ... -leak.html

Some other people have explained their experiences of it as well. Turns out it isn't a coolant leak but what appears to be as a design flaw concerning the washer bottle. I'm more relaxed about it now knowing it isn't coolant, but it's rather annoying to see these ugly run marks down the side of the passenger side sill directly behind the wheel arch. The washer fluid has a slightly oily consistency which according to other comments on Rennlist is down to the washer fluid Porsche use. Third Stage has previously mentioned that he had the same issue but it went away after a few top ups.. no explanation otherwise.
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Cowan. Not as serious as the potential water pump issue then?

I haven’t noticed any marks by the passenger sill, but I’ll keep an eye out...

Cheers,

Simon
Last edited by Wing Commander on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018