UK Porsches the most heavily specced in the world. Discuss.

The place to discuss everything else..
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I'm pretty sure that this has been the case across all the German car makers, since the 1980's? In terms of BMW & VW, I certainly used to notice the volume of quite basic specced cars on the Continent, compared to what you saw back in the UK, primarily in the wheels department (alloys vs steel wheels/hub caps), leather vs cloth, sunroofs etc, as examples. Maybe we have oversized egos in the UK?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 am I'm pretty sure that this has been the case across all the German car makers, since the 1980's? In terms of BMW & VW, I certainly used to notice the volume of quite basic specced cars on the Continent, compared to what you saw back in the UK, primarily in the wheels department (alloys vs steel wheels/hub caps), leather vs cloth, sunroofs etc, as examples. Maybe we have oversized egos in the UK?
Is it not the case that only a limited range of base specs are available in the UK in RHD? In other words there are lower level base options available in the LHD Euro markets. I guess you could check out the German configurator to see if that's actually true for Porsche.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Semerka wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 am I think that in UK cars are often bought as a status symbol with all the silly bling you can throw at it. But on the Continent people spec just what they need for their personal needs, not for future buyers. They also tend to keep their cars for longer, it's not just a fashion accessory. ;)
I'm not sure this is the case - few people ever see the inside of your car, so if I had a base model with no upgrades it would still be a "Porsche" to the vast majority of people, my mates think a Macan costs £45k :oops:

James
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

jesim1 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 pm
Semerka wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 am I think that in UK cars are often bought as a status symbol with all the silly bling you can throw at it. But on the Continent people spec just what they need for their personal needs, not for future buyers. They also tend to keep their cars for longer, it's not just a fashion accessory. ;)
I'm not sure this is the case - few people ever see the inside of your car, so if I had a base model with no upgrades it would still be a "Porsche" to the vast majority of people, my mates think a Macan costs £45k :oops:

James
But one can also pimp up the outside. ;) On the Continent you don't really see it as much, the cars look more sober. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm In conversation with SE this afternoon he mentioned that UK buyers spec their cars more than any other market.

Thoughts.
Hmmmm - not sure what facts back that up. I read & contribute to the 991 forum on Rennlist and in the US, there are certainly a lot of highly specced 991s in circulation. :geek:
Forum members represent such a tiny proportion of buyers though. Statistically irrelevant in most cases.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Agreed, goron. Although on Rennlist, quite a lot of research/data etc is also based on cars for sale (across the US, mostly) and not just ones owned by forum members.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
John_M

Post by John_M »

Dandock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm In conversation with SE this afternoon he mentioned that UK buyers spec their cars more than any other market.

Thoughts.
Is that way cars are sold though? I believe it is much more likely in USA to buy from dealer stock, so they tend to have a few configurations where as in UK likes of BMW and Porsche the dealers want to sell build slots and encourage you to add options - one of these encourages competitive pricing the other doesn't.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Oh for the days of
L
GL
GLS
GT
GHIA

We knew what we were getting then
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

John_M wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:46 am

Thoughts.
Is that way cars are sold though? I believe it is much more likely in USA to buy from dealer stock, so they tend to have a few configurations where as in UK likes of BMW and Porsche the dealers want to sell build slots and encourage you to add options - one of these encourages competitive pricing the other doesn't.
+1 and US consumers expect to do so. The built to order is a relatively alien concept.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Semerka wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 pm
jesim1 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 pm

James
But one can also pimp up the outside. ;) On the Continent you don't really see it as much, the cars look more sober. :lol:
Not necessarily true. If you look at the Macan FB pages there are a high proportion of very pimped examples. Lowered, skirts, chipped etc. Presumably that ideology may also extend to 911 ownership. These though aren’t genuine Porsche options.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀