Would you buy a used car unseen?

The place to discuss everything else..
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I am looking at a used car being sold by a reputable independent dealer. It is still under manufacturers warranty with relatively low miles. Detailed photos and description all make the car attractive. The price is in the right ballpark. Two previous owners.
The trouble is that the dealer/car is over 200 miles away. As the car is untaxed, the dealer is reluctant to drive it to meet halfway. Obviously, I can drive to him to look at/test drive the car, but finding a full-day time slot at the moment is difficult.
He suggests that his reputation stands behind the car, and that cars are sold unseen all the time. I'm sure this is true, and of course new cars are sold 'unseen' every day. My fear is not that the car won't drive well, or that there will be a major problem, but that there will be creaks, groans and rattles that would intensely annoy me and there is no comeback for.
Would you buy a used car unseen?

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I bought my last MINI unseen although the dealer (Main MINI dealer 150 miles away) sent me loads of pictures and a video. It was bought subject to final inspection by me before remaining payment was made and any issues were resolved. The car was also still under manufacturers warranty so was confident that I was covered for any later issues.

There were a few marks on the bodywork that the pictures didn't pick up but they had a detailer on site that day and he spent an hour or so tidying them up while we did the paperwork. All in all I was very happy with the outcome.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you are buying a used car from a genuine reputable dealer you have all the comebacks necessary. You are protected by the current consumer legislation and the balance of the warranty. Creaks and groans and rattles would be covered under the first (and there’s no guarantee you’d pick up groans or rattles on a quick test drive anyway)
What surprises me is that the dealer doesn’t posess (or is unwilling to use) trade plates to bring the car to you.
As above, cars are sold unseen regularly and you should have no issues on the sort of car you describe. Go for it.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

+1 no problem. Obviously you have tried that make, model and configuration (as near as matters) elsewhere so know its what you want. As Myiopyk says anything not declared can be cleaned up on inspection, as it was probably too small for them to have noticed.

As cosmetics are a bit subjective I would list areas such as bumper scuffs, windscreen chips, under body dings as well as internal scuffs as points that I would expect declared just be comfortable on collections. Good luck either way :)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If the car is a "normal car" for normal use for a couple of years then probably YES.

If car is a bit more "special" or you are more "fussy" it is probably worth the 200 mile drive.

I'm not keen, but have driven to both London and Aberdeen to view and buy vehicles.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I bought my current Panamera without seeing it from an OPC 400 miles away - Norwich to Glasgow. There were two others similar much closer but this was the pick of the trio for us, so we made a weekend of it to see the car before we handed over the balance due. They would have delivered but no problems at all wity the car. I would like to think that any OPC would have the highest standards when selling used models. In any case nothing guarantees you a creak-free car even if its new, lots of issues with the pano roof.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 pm If the car is a "normal car" for normal use for a couple of years then probably YES.

If car is a bit more "special" or you are more "fussy" it is probably worth the 200 mile drive.
I agree with ScotMac. If it’s something like a 911, I’d take a day off work to travel to fully inspect and test drive it! Surely, even for a test drive, it’ll need to be taxed (or driven on trade plates as per Paul’s email above)?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

We bought my wife's last car without seeing. It turned out to be a Friday car with all sorts of problems - but we would not have been able to pick up any of these if we had been to see it and would have ended up buying it anyway. It had lots of warranty issues that did get sorted out - gradually. The not-seeing-it was not the problem.

You could go to see it on a week day when you will be able to arrange bank transfer while you are there and then leave with it if you are happy. If you go at a weekend, it will mean a second trip to collect after paying unless they will then deliver it.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Personally I wouldn’t buy 911 without seeing it and driving it unless new. A golf or similar yes I would but minimal financial risk.

I would think it worth the journey to see the car but I would be put off by the dealer’s reticence to meet you half way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Yip I bought my old 911 blind, not even a picture, purely on spec and the reputation of the dealer (OPC) I flew down to London, the SA collected me from the airport and 30 mins later I was driving the car back to Stirling
Both my kids cars (VW's) were purchased blind using a video and a description from the SA
I have purchased probably 10 bikes on ebay/autotrader privately and most have been as described where it hasn't I have always been able to get to a deal even if I once had to get into my car and start the engine

My current Macan was purchased new without even sitting in a Macan as I knew it would not stack up to the 911 - but I knew Porsche would not make a bad car

Am I over trusting
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(