Second car with a macan

The place to discuss everything else..
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

:cry: I see many have swopped to a 911, given I don't do massive miles and I'm retired, I will keep my SD long term it regardless, so rather than have a 911, has anyone added a Cayman to their fleet?

Having a macan I would have to have a post 2013 as I like the interior layout and don't want to have the older one.
I was lent a Cayman convertible, did find on motorways one felt low compared to the other traffic, yet I like SUV heights and am used to it.

Dare I say it from observing other cars new bmwz4, some small mercs convertible look interesting, though I'd probably look at the hard top cayman.

Tempted to see how electrics develop, apparently Porsche have test bed cayman so I wonder what will make the showrooms, could be interesting.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Quite a dilema.

Its a no win scenario, the low ride height of any sports car, that is!

Quite a few Macan owners have a Porsche sports car, in fact so many the forum now needs a rename as Macan owners are getting in the minority.

You want small, quick, with good handling and with a decent drive height then why not look for a Golf R or VR6?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I would have considered a Cayman seriously but the extra space and roof rack option made the 911 more attractive, in hindsight I could have gone for 718 instead of 911. The wife would completely disagree; she would say I was only making excuses for it being a 911 there was never a doubt what I was buying. Just try one but lots of people here are sensitive to seating and ride comfort which will depend on model and spec to a degree.
Will wait to hear what you get :lol:

Should say prudence meant the Macan went when the 911 came which was a month before I retied :lol: :lol:
Everyday use is a Mini Clubman Cooper S ALL4 which does the job ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

A convertible Cayman = a Boxster :P

A Golf R or GTI is a great option for a second car. My wife has a GTI which I love.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I had a Cayman before the Macan and can say that it’s surprisingly practical and great fun. Drives like a go-Kart and has 2 boots (front and rear) that hold a surprising amount.

I am not alone in intensely disliking the sound of the 718 4 pot but if you can get a late 981 they are amazing.

Currently drive a 911 GTS and I still think that, in the real world, the Cayman is almost as good and costs £50k less.

Get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Hi Nomad. I am about to change to a Cayman so I am biased. It's a hoot of a car. I was given one on loan from the OPC and although it isn't as generous for luggage as the Macan it's a lot of fun, workable and practical in a diminished sort of way. At the PEC a couple of weeks ago I took one on the road as well (manual transmission) and was blown away by the driveability in normal traffic. Ignore the hooligan like performance on the little PEC track especially with a PDK, in the real world at allowed road speeds it's on rails. I'm biased but it's thumbs up from me.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

+1 on the 981 choice - has good looks, an engine to differentiate it from the crowd, and great handling 8-) Perfect w/e+ car :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Hi Nomad,

We've had a Cayman for nearly 3 years after having a 987 Boxster for nearly 8 and we're on our second Macan. The 2 complement each other perfectly, the Macan is faster than the Cayman on a sprint but the Cayman sounds glorious with PSE on full song and both handle brilliantly relatively speaking. These are some of the many features we love about having both of them and we've already decided that the Cayman is a keeper as neither of us think spending another £20k on a 718 or £40k on a 911 makes sense based on the gains each of those offer over the current car on public roads.

I also bought a 18month old diesel SLK in January as my commuter as I was doing a 130 round trip up every day until recently and being its a convertible that adds a further dimension to our motoring pleasure. Its good as a day 2 day car, reasonable performance and excellent economy (55mpg plus) but not as refined or sharp as the Cayman. Depending on what I do next work wise it might be going but we'll see. If that happens I'd like a V8 of some description, maybe a new Mustang.

I can see why people have made the jump to a 911 from a Macan and I think I could do that too if it wasn't for the need of a utility vehicle and having had the Macans I just know I'd miss it if I had to get something less capable or cosseting.

Here's a pic of them all together shortly after the SLK arrived.

IMG_0080.jpg

Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hello Nomad, we too are currently running a Macan Turbo and a manual 718 Cayman GTS (the new one with 2.5 litre 4 pot engine).
Previously we had a Macan SD with a manual Cayman GTS (981) with the glorious 6 pot 3.4 litre engine).

It is a winning combination of vehicles, we think. Macan is for the dog transport and our continental journeys to the Czech Republic.
Cayman is for giggles from the joy of driving and the connection you feel to the car, and road trips. Both are daily drives as well.

Highly recommended, whichever Cayman (or Boxster) variant you choose to supplement your Macan SD. :)

On the other hand, the new BMW Z4 promises to be good again too. :)
Last edited by Semerka on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
happy days

Post by happy days »

Yep, me too for the McCann / 718S combination. Glorious!
Macan S D
718 S