Online Services Plus?

The place to discuss everything else..
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I am buying a 911 first registered in early 2016.
It is listed as having 'online services plus'. I am having a little difficulty in discovering exactly what this involves - especially if it includes free mapping updates.
Is it just an earlier name for Porsche Connect?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There were two services at that time.

Car Connect which is the Vodafone/Cobra car tracking system.

And

The two slightly different versions Connect and Connect+, both have online capabilities but + has the more functions.

The following is Porsche’s description of Connect +
The Connect Plus module ensures maximum connectivity in your Porsche.
It features an LTE/4G telephone module with integrated SIM card. This SIM card enables access to the Porsche Connect Services and includes data for all non-streaming Connect Services. The telephone module also has a SIM card reader, allowing use of separate SIM card for Voice and Data. In the case of using a separate SIM card the integrated SIM is disabled and all calls and Data usage is via this SIM card. It also includes a WiFi module, which, when using the integrated SIM, requires the purchase of a data package which will become available in the Connect Store in the future. When using SIM card in the reader, all data, including WiFi, is passed through that SIM.

Beneath the centre console armrest, the storage area provides a convenient place to keep your smartphone whilst driving. Additionally, you are able to connect your smartphone to the USB port for recharging or to play its media content.

What’s more, the Connect Plus module enables use of the wide range of Porsche Connect services. Get more day out of your everyday and delegate the multitasking to your sports car – so you can spend more time driving your Porsche.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Thanks.
I think this car would only have had 12 months of 'free' services.
It has the most recent PCM and Apple Carplay etc etc.
My question is whether I have to subscribe to a Porsche service to get Google maps, satellite maps, POI's etc etc, or will inserting a data SIM do the trick? The only service I would be interested in would be the Nav services at £139/year.

I have heard that the latest Apple IOS 12 will enable Google maps on Carplay, so maybe my question is redundant.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have Connect+ in my Macan and have a £25 data SIM installed, it gives 12 months of data up to a fixed amount.

Which reminds me its time to source another SIM.

I do not use online streaming services at all but do use Apple maps and find that the traffic updates is better than on the in car SatNav, well it is in the North West.

My car goes in for servicing tomorrow and a software update so we shall see what is what.

Edit

Data only SIM on the 3 network £28 for 12Gb over a 12 month period when bought from MyMemory.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Thanks Col. I just ordered one as well from MyMemory but noticed at the same time that there is a 24GB deal available for 24 months from Amazon (also with 3) that costs £45 and looking at the ad as I write this, I see it's also available for £43.49 from EBS Telecoms.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

oldpilot wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 pm Thanks Col. I just ordered one as well from MyMemory but noticed at the same time that there is a 24GB deal available for 24 months from Amazon (also with 3) that costs £45 and looking at the ad as I write this, I see it's also available for £43.49 from EBS Telecoms.
I use the 24gb for 24 months three one which I have ordered from a amazon for the last 2-3 years at £45 or sometimes less

Better value and I never manage to exceed the data allowance which you can use all in 1 month or over 24 months with no other restrictions so use as you wish.

If Three gives you the service in the areas you want it’s highly recommended 👍

The service doesn’t start until you register them so you can keep a spare ready for when it expires.
GTS 😀