Yet more JLR woes

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

JLR have put their workers on a three day week until Christmas, so sayeth the BBC News.

Apparently its a BREXIT come uncertainly on what will happen with diesels thing.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Paul

Post by Paul »

..or the CEO getting his year-end excuses in first!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

And Porsche closed all their factories totally for 3 months - surprised Porsche did not blame Brexit 😀
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Brexit? I’m sure the actual reason the Land Rover side may be struggling is the almost total dependence on diesels in their range, with the current mood (rightly or wrongly) being heavily biased against diesels.
One thing that surprised me, was when the new Velar was released, all the local dealers had lots of cars available almost immediately. Within a few months, they had a large stock of low mileage ex-demonstrators. All diesels, as I guess that’s what they foresaw demand as.
I actually found the same with Tesla, when I enquired about availability year ago. I was offered a long list of low mileage demo cars. It may be a bit of a paradox, but somehow this always puts me off. I guess I don’t associate lots of stock with an in demand product?
And I imagine coming 30 & 31 out of 32 manufacturers in the latest Ultimate Reliability Report won’t be doing JLR & Tesla any favours!
Perhaps the Porsche exclusivity marketing bull that’s driving me crazy waiting for a new Macan does work........
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

With 8 different SUVs in JLRs product line could this be part of their problem?

Essentially size wise there is the Evoque in one size category and eveything else in another.

At least with Beamer there is the X1 > X6 range with distinct size differences.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am With 8 different SUVs in JLRs product line could this be part of their problem?
I agree, it seems like there are too many options, many of them competing directly with each other, which doesn't seem like a great sales strategy!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:36 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am With 8 different SUVs in JLRs product line could this be part of their problem?
I agree, it seems like there are too many options, many of them competing directly with each other, which doesn't seem like a great sales strategy!
JLR release the F Pace and shortly thereafter the RR Vader, with development and compliance costs what they are its sheer stupidity.

One good thing is that the dealers seem to be amalgamating into one franchise
Col
Macan Turbo
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:36 pm
I think thats been clear for some time. Simply too little differentiation. Goodness knows what the marketing department were thinking! Sooner or later they were going to be found out and the short week simply waiting to happen.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

JLR are and chose to be a high volume manufacturer, their factories will have been built around a minimum level requirement with a higher end technical capacity. Once you pass the essential minimum requirement you are dramatically increasing the margin per unit sold right up to (if you can reach it) the factories tech capacity. The workforce will be something in the region of 80/20 or 70/30 permanent to agency workers and the agency workers give the flexibility in resource requirement. Even highly automated plants still need a high degree of human resource in assembly, logistics etc. Hence the constant drive to add extra models to the line up primarily based on one or two platforms. Mini being one of the best examples of such a format. When volumes remain high their world remains great. However if it drops "deep shit" lots of stock, heavy discounting and the inevitable lay offs. The Porsche business model is not about highest volume wins, they will never be the most profitable car company by value but by unit few will come close and that's why we wait months/ years for our new vehicles.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

MikeM wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 pm JLR are and chose to be a high volume manufacturer, their factories will have been built around a minimum level requirement with a higher end technical capacity. Once you pass the essential minimum requirement you are dramatically increasing the margin per unit sold right up to (if you can reach it) the factories tech capacity. The workforce will be something in the region of 80/20 or 70/30 permanent to agency workers and the agency workers give the flexibility in resource requirement. Even highly automated plants still need a high degree of human resource in assembly, logistics etc. Hence the constant drive to add extra models to the line up primarily based on one or two platforms. Mini being one of the best examples of such a format. When volumes remain high their world remains great. However if it drops "deep shit" lots of stock, heavy discounting and the inevitable lay offs. The Porsche business model is not about highest volume wins, they will never be the most profitable car company by value but by unit few will come close and that's why we wait months/ years for our new vehicles.
Is there an employee to volume ratio? If so, what is the industry average of a profitable business?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀