Really no more diesels this time?

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Macadam wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:10 pm Was a diesel Porsche a contradiction in terms?
Yes.

It has been a case of engineering rebadging diesel engines from other VAG brands
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

nsm3 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:01 pm Will be very interesting to see how they treat their 'experimental' diesel clients, once the time to trade/switch comes?
Speaking as someone who recently traded in my diesel Macan (September 2018), I can tell you with some authority: VERY BADLY!!!
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

You've got to think this has been mulled over and over within Porsche. On the one hand you have existing diesel owners across models who will either have to go into petrol/hybrid variants of their models on trading in/up or go elsewhere if they want diesel. VAG, honestly, won't care. The diesel choices for those exiting Porsche will invariably be either VW or Audi or even Skoda.

Porsche definitely took the view that the brand value and image takes precedence over retaining those diesel owners. All I can say is, I would agree. The engine doesn't belong with the brand and it has proved costly. If you're on a PCP or lease, probably won't matter. If you own it...well...I think it's an ouch moment.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Not sure how costly the diesel experience has been to Porsche?

Wasn’t the Cayenne instrumental in saving Porsche, along with the Boxster? And most Cayennes sold (prior to the current model) were diesel.

And the Macan is the current bestselling Porsche. And most Macans sold (in Europe) have been diesels.

I reckon that rather than costing Porsche, diesels in the past (Cayennes, Macans and Panameras) have made them £££££££££££s!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 pm Not sure how costly the diesel experience has been to Porsche?

Wasn’t the Cayenne instrumental in saving Porsche, along with the Boxster? And most Cayennes sold (prior to the current model) were diesel.

And the Macan is the current bestselling Porsche. And most Macans sold (in Europe) have been diesels.

I reckon that rather than costing Porsche, diesels in the past (Cayennes, Macans and Panameras) have made them £££££££££££s!
I agree, and not having them going forward will cost them clients too, i’m sure of it. Three of my colleagues high mileage drivers (two of them with cayennes and one with panamera) have already said they will not be buying another porsche if no diesel. For long distance trips, hybrid makes no sense, only diesel is economical (or trucks wouldnt be running on it. Big gasoline engine, like I’m doing, makes no economic sense for high mileage drivers, just for pleasure. I dont care in my case, but most people do.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 pm Not sure how costly the diesel experience has been to Porsche?

Porsche was quoted in various car publications as saying that diesel made up 15% of their global sales. If that's true, it's a no brainer to axe it. The Macan as a model is its best seller, not the diesel engine. Pretty sure as well that China is the Macan's biggest market. That is why they launched the facelift there. No fluke! :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Porsche was quoted in various car publications as saying that diesel made up 15% of their global sales. If that's true, it's a no brainer to axe it. The Macan as a model is its best seller, not the diesel engine. Pretty sure as well that China is the Macan's biggest market. That is why they launched the facelift there. No fluke! :)
Although, in the UK in ‘17 and so far in’18 the single “D” version of the Macan made up 65% of total model sales and this figure is probably similar across Europe.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm

I read 12% worldwide. The other interesting figure is that 63% of Panamera sales in Europe are hybrids which would suggest that the market actually does see them as an alternative to oil.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

The time may have come to move on, but there is no denying that diesel has added positively to Porsche’s bottom line in recent years. As I said, Cayennes & Macans (and probably Panameras) sold in Europe to date (excluding current versions of Cayenne & Panamera) have been overwhelmingly diesel.

So from Porsche: “Thanks for the memories (and the £££££s) Dr Diesel, but the future is electric...!” :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

And maybe a fewer special 911 variants for a little while.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀