Audi

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I am aware that racing drivers (and people who think they are racing drivers :? :? :? ) want 500 bhp and rear wheel drive........however for 95% of the time on normal roads with varying conditions, it is reassuring to have a car like the Audi quattro which will generally go where you point it :D :D :D

goron59

Post by goron59 »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:16 pm I am aware that racing drivers (and people who think they are racing drivers :? :? :? ) want 500 bhp and rear wheel drive........however for 95% of the time on normal roads with varying conditions, it is reassuring to have a car like the Audi quattro which will generally go where you point it :D :D :D
The only time I felt like I had no control when driving was trying to get around a corner in a small Audi with quattro (a 2012 TT). Sure, good for general grip and traction, but when you want to carry moderate speed around a corner, it's not so good. Yes, you can coax it into pointing the nose in the direction you want, but it's not easy. Same corner in a Golf, or a Civic, or a BMW 118d even? much better.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

goron59 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:05 pm
ScotMac wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:16 pm I am aware that racing drivers (and people who think they are racing drivers :? :? :? ) want 500 bhp and rear wheel drive........however for 95% of the time on normal roads with varying conditions, it is reassuring to have a car like the Audi quattro which will generally go where you point it :D :D :D
The only time I felt like I had no control when driving was trying to get around a corner in a small Audi with quattro (a 2012 TT). Sure, good for general grip and traction, but when you want to carry moderate speed around a corner, it's not so good. Yes, you can coax it into pointing the nose in the direction you want, but it's not easy. Same corner in a Golf, or a Civic, or a BMW 118d even? much better.
I've never driven an Audi quattro on a race tack so have never experienced any problems. I've lost control of the Audi once in 7 years which could have been my fault :oops: overtaking like an idiot round a roundabout with worn rear tyres. Apart from that it has been pretty faultless on the road.

I've lost the back end of the Macan a few times.... driving too fast in the wet. With a 911 2 wheel drive you have to drive with care in wet conditions....