Audi

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure I should do this on a Porsche site ..........

We have an Audi TT roadster which has been a brilliant wee car. It has done over 80,000 miles basically trouble free. It has the original wheel bearings, brake discs and suspension....... It gets regularly abused by 3 drivers and all alloys are marked :roll: :roll: :roll: .....not by me...

In my opinion it also holds the road better......especially in the wet......than a Macan or a 2 wheel drive 911.

My question ........Is this quite normal for an Audi........being reliable and trouble free ??? This is our first Audi although I was considering an RS4 before the Macan.

VanB

Post by VanB »

TBH it sounds unusual for any car - especially the original brake discs after 80k miles!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Not sure about reliable.. my colleague has had two Audi A4's as company vehicles, the latter being a 3.0tdi 272hp.. which has just had the fuel tank replaced and before that the radiator.. oh, and infotainment issues, all within 8k miles... The first A4 he had before that suffered electrical issues.. My father runs a Q7 and it's been a dog as well.. So was my 911 until recently.. All this "built in Germany" stuff is wearing thin.. Audis as you say are excellent in the wet and even better in the snow.
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I have been running numerous Audi’s over the last 8 years.
All petrol. A5, Q5 series in various forms and all have been faultless. Quattro and S tronnic dual clutch in most and 8 speed tiptronic in more recent.
It was the easiest 8 years motoring in terms of reliability. Tech worked well too.
All were purchased from new and maintained by main dealer.

There are some known issues on some older models with oil issues and I know the A4 has not been the most reliable but all mine have been perfect.

Original brakes / discs and tyres. One model done 30000 miles and still had 5mm tyre from new.

Like all models I am sure there are some horror stories. I have heard more negatives on other similar competitive brands so maybe Audi best of a bad bunch? Or maybe I have been lucky.
GTS 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Scott Cowan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:41 pm Not sure about reliable.. my colleague has had two Audi A4's as company vehicles, the latter being a 3.0tdi 272hp.. which has just had the fuel tank replaced and before that the radiator.. oh, and infotainment issues, all within 8k miles... The first A4 he had before that suffered electrical issues.. My father runs a Q7 and it's been a dog as well.. So was my 911 until recently.. All this "built in Germany" stuff is wearing thin.. Audis as you say are excellent in the wet and even better in the snow.
The TT is brilliant in the snow for a sports car - as long as the snow is not too deep.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Early days, but Mrs P’s TTS roadster is shaping up well as a fun car. Just did a shade under 3000 miles in 10 days without missing a beat.
As quick up and down the various “Cols” as my fellow travellers in their 911 GTS and n/a Black edition😊
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I know it's a cliche, but driving a TT back to back with almost any other car and the TT's near terminal understeer makes for a fairly miserable experience.

Have recent (mark 3) versions improved things? The original TTRS was one of the most disappointing cars I've ever driven :(
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am I know it's a cliche, but driving a TT back to back with almost any other car and the TT's near terminal understeer makes for a fairly miserable experience.

Have recent (mark 3) versions improved things? The original TTRS was one of the most disappointing cars I've ever driven :(
I don't know a huge amount about the TT. I know the original TT was quite difficult to handle......possibly even dangerous. I believe they were redesigned after that.

Mine is a 2011 which handles brilliantly with no surprises even in the rain......or snow.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Never found myself in a position where understeer was a problem (“not trying hard enough” I hear you cry!😉)
Yes, the engine / weight is up front and Audi do tend to tune the chassis for the safety of the masses, but I genuinely felt comfortable with the turn-in in every situation during our raod trip. 4wd tends to make it a little less sharp out of the bends but for a 2.0 (in 310 bhp form) it was great fun.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I think they modified it by putting a spoiler on the back, I was lucky enough to pick up a original with no spoiler many many years back . My memories don’t point to huge understeer, but agree the RS wasn’t a joy.. apart from the engine.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊