Fuel choice ? new engines

The place to discuss everything else..
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

My thinking is that if your a 50mpg and 50,000 miles out of a set of tyres driver, using good quality 95ron petrol wont do any harm at all.
I on the other hand I am a 20mpg and 10,000 miles tyres sort of driver, so always use 97/98 when ever I can.
Last edited by Rab J on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

VanB

Post by VanB »

I would only put standard unleaded in mine if nothing else was available and I was on fumes and then probably only enough to get me somewhere with decent quality super unleaded. It is counter-intuitive to me to spend that sort of money on a car and then not run it on the suggested premium grade of fuel
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ScotMac wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm I agree with comments. Why spend £60,000 on a Porsche and then fill it with the wrong grade / cheap fuel.

If however you are only planning on keeping the car for a year or so........

I also bet the majority of dealers fill with the cheapest fuel :o :o

I bet that ALL Porsche Centres use the cheapest local fuel they can find!

When we collect our shiny brand new Porsche, or pre-owned, I wager that an analysis would tell us that our new pride & joy is filled with the finest from Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys etc. :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

If you want some technical background on Gasoline Particulate Filters, I came across this article a little while back.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/insight ... te-filters
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Thanks that helped a lot.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Higher-octane fuels suit high-performance engines where pressures and temperatures are greater; it can therefore be used to increase the available horsepower and improve performance. Owners of higher-performance cars such as the Macan will therefore get the most out of premium petrol as a result – especially if they are often driven hard on open roads. 😀

Higher-octane fuels also prevent ‘engine knock’, which is when unburned fuel pre-ignites in a vehicle’s engine, potentially damaging interior components. The higher the RON of a fuel, the more likely it will be to burn in a controlled manner in the engine, thus lowering the chance of ‘knocking’. Again, however, only motorists with high-performance cars – where engine knock is more prevalent due to the higher compression ratios caused by superchargers or turbochargers – will really see the benefit.

The higher the RON of a fuel, the bigger the impact.

BP Ultimate is "only" 97 RON whereas Shell V-Power is 99. I only ever used Shell V-Power in my Cayenne S.

(I only use V-Power diesel in the SD for similar reasons).
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Ray G. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Ray G wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 am Higher-octane fuels suit high-performance engines where pressures and temperatures are greater; it can therefore be used to increase the available horsepower and improve performance. Owners of higher-performance cars such as the Macan will therefore get the most out of premium petrol as a result – especially if they are often driven hard on open roads. 😀

Higher-octane fuels also prevent ‘engine knock’, which is when unburned fuel pre-ignites in a vehicle’s engine, potentially damaging interior components. The higher the RON of a fuel, the more likely it will be to burn in a controlled manner in the engine, thus lowering the chance of ‘knocking’. Again, however, only motorists with high-performance cars – where engine knock is more prevalent due to the higher compression ratios caused by superchargers or turbochargers – will really see the benefit.

BP Ultimate is "only" 97 RON whereas Shell V-Power is 99. I only ever used Shell V-Power in my Cayenne S.

Just checked out some technical specification sheets and found that Esso Super Plus and Total Excellium are both 97 RON but, surprisingly to me, Tesco Momentum is 99 octane. However, to get a bit technical, I think that there may be more ethanol in the Tesco fuel which may in turn affect the calibration sensors that fine tune the engine.

I'd stick with the V-Power.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Ray G wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 am Higher-octane fuels suit high-performance engines where pressures and temperatures are greater; it can therefore be used to increase the available horsepower and improve performance. Owners of higher-performance cars such as the Macan will therefore get the most out of premium petrol as a result – especially if they are often driven hard on open roads. 😀

I use Shell V-Power unleaded whenever I can get it. 98 Octane in the U.K. and France and (at least - please someone correct me if I’m wrong) 100 in Germany where it’s marketed as ‘Racing’!

Using it recently I’m convinced the economy has improved. I’ve been in France for the past 9 days and mostly using Avia 98 which is better than the alternative but i don’t think it’s a the same level as Shell. I’ve only ever, and through necessity, used the cheapo stuff and suffered accordingly.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

👍