Fuel choice ? new engines

The place to discuss everything else..
biggeordie

Post by biggeordie »

On 3ltr petrol engines super unleaded if specified, Anyone just used standard unleaded, What are pro,s and con,s if any.

Also any opinions on the new particulate filters on all new 6 and 8 cylinder engines , as stated cleanest ever and work on similar basis to diesel filters

if I read article correctly.

All input greatly appreciated.

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Re your first point, using standard unleaded isn't going to destroy your engine but overuse will lead to reduced efficiency and increase wear and tear. They're engineered to work optimally at certain compression ratios which require certain octane levels, usually the Smurf juice stuff (97+)! The higher the octane the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating, therefore more air, more power. Using lower octane leads to premature detonation and then your engine's knock sensors kick in to reduce compression and therefore power. You're insulated but long term it really doesn't do you favours.

As to petrol DPF style filters, my understanding is that due to the engine's ability to get to temperature faster, there should be a reduction in the DPF style clogging. I also understand it works slightly differently in that it is integrated to the catalytic converter.

Trust that helps!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Excellent advice by Gman

Why spend £60k+ on a car and puts gnats pi55 in the tank ?

The manual does state you can use lower octane fuel but not to floor the throttle.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
biggeordie

Post by biggeordie »

Hiya GMAN75..

Thanks for your reply, and excellent explanation,s . for extra cost in super seems no brainer using standard unleaded.

Now just have to hope macan configurator goes live this week, so can spec new car,

Many thanks
biggeordie

Post by biggeordie »

Hi Col Lamb

I am pretty new to forum moving over from BMW x4, Just trying to get as much info as possible, before pulling trigger on order,

for new macan s. WHEN WE SEE CONFIGURATOR!!!!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:38 pm Re your first point, using standard unleaded isn't going to destroy your engine but overuse will lead to reduced efficiency and increase wear and tear. They're engineered to work optimally at certain compression ratios which require certain octane levels, usually the Smurf juice stuff (97+)! The higher the octane the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating, therefore more air, more power. Using lower octane leads to premature detonation and then your engine's knock sensors kick in to reduce compression and therefore power. You're insulated but long term it really doesn't do you favours.

As to petrol DPF style filters, my understanding is that due to the engine's ability to get to temperature faster, there should be a reduction in the DPF style clogging. I also understand it works slightly differently in that it is integrated to the catalytic converter.

Trust that helps!
You were sort of OK on your explanation...however the ECU retards the ignition to prevent detonation, it can't reduce compression.

The particulate filter in the petrol engine is mounted close to the exhaust manifold so runs much hotter and is therefore able to burn off particulates more effectively. Also, petrol engines produce much less particulates than diesels so the filter has less work to do. I'd be very surprised if these new filters cause any issues.

And yes, use premium fuels such as Shell V Power or BP Ultimate.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Yep, I yield to that point Nick! It's the ignition which is retarded to compensate. :oops:
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I agree with comments. Why spend £60,000 on a Porsche and then fill it with the wrong grade / cheap fuel.

If however you are only planning on keeping the car for a year or so........

I also bet the majority of dealers fill with the cheapest fuel :o :o
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

ScotMac wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm I also bet the majority of dealers fill with the cheapest fuel :o :o
They certainly do that at the Towcester OPC to save pennies!
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I think only premium fuel should be used.... am I right in thinking all new petrol engine from Porsche now come with a petrol filter ... that “ Hopefully will work “ Iv been away for a weekend has that much changed!!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊