VW Group Diesel Purge...

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am The only place I would think twice about owning a Tesla is Wales and only then if I was constantly driving up and down the Welsh coast. Everywhere else is fine with a few thin spots, like around the New Forest area. But that's only if sticking strictly to Tesla chargers.
There are other areas too though like Norfolk & Suffolk (OK, one near Thetford but that's just one within a reasonably large region). Slightly surprising that Chelsea-near-the-sea second home owners in N/NW Norfolk didn't get more of a look-in - maybe that's planned in the next phase of SC roll-out? Otherwise presumably you have to fall back on CHAdeMO adapters?
Thetford Supercharger has 8 stalls and there are also 20+ Tesla destination charge sites (often with 2 stalls each) around the surrounding coast line, so would be very unlikely to be an issue. The New Forest is the worst bottle neck I know, since the Winchester Supercharger only has 2 stalls and is frequently queued up. Also not so many destination chargers in that area. Having said that it's not such a big issue with a 200 mile range, really just need 1 Supercharger visit to get around or several hours on a destination charger at some point.

Yes CHAdeMO is the fallback position for Tesla owners, but I don't personally have an adaptor - they are fairly expensive at £400 and I would never get my money's worth out of one. But some owners use them enough to justify the cost. Can also use slower Type 2 chargers, but I've never had to resort to that. I just use Tesla chargers for minimum hassle.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rab J wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am
Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm If you live and drive around the NE to SE corridor then EV makes sense, albeit the cars are serious money at the moment.

Elsewhere it's less attractive.
The only place I would think twice about owning a Tesla is Wales and only then if I was constantly driving up and down the Welsh coast. Everywhere else is fine with a few thin spots, like around the New Forest area. But that's only if sticking strictly to Tesla chargers.
Tesla super chargers a bit thin on the ground here in Ireland, north or south. Still the land on the black pump i think.
I think there are 3 Supercharger sites now in Ireland and a smattering of destination chargers all around the coast. Remember that most people will be charging 90%+ of the time from home and have a 200+ mile range. So it's probably not as bad as it looks for Irish Tesla owners.