VW Group Diesel Purge...

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I saw on Apple News that Which has done an ICE v EV ‘greenest’ comparison. Has anyone read it?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm
Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:10 pm Good for you.

Personally though for my requirements the range is a big issue.
Not saying you don't personally need a 500 mile range, but most people start out with that premise when first thinking about EVs. They can require a change in attitude to long distance driving, but it's generally a good change for your health. I have roughly half the range I had with our previous car, but on a daily basis it's actually easier to live with. In an ideal world I would prefer maybe another 100 miles for ultimate flexibility, but the additional cost and weight of a bigger battery would soon put me off. For me the tipping point was a 200 mile range, which comfortably covers all my daily driving and makes long haul trips pretty acceptable with sensible stops.
As I said I'm glad EVs work for some but not currently for me.

I regularly travel to the SW, and although I could get there by bimbling down the M5, the poor distribution of charging places would give me 'range anxiety'. So for now I will stick with my wonderful ICE.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Ok look...until I can drive into an EV station and not randomly park in a spot 10 streets away, recharge adequately in the time it takes to fill a ICE's tank, not travel out of my way into some random carpark or shopping center for a charge, not have my driving habits dictated to by the location of EV stations AND my EV achieves at least 300 miles on a full charge in real world driving conditions AND gives me the performance I desire, I'll stick where I am.

I reckon that's the end of my list... ;)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:38 pm Ok look...until I can drive into an EV station and not randomly park in a spot 10 streets away, recharge adequately in the time it takes to fill a ICE's tank, not travel out of my way into some random carpark or shopping center for a charge, not have my driving habits dictated to by the location of EV stations AND my EV achieves at least 300 miles on a full charge in real world driving conditions AND gives me the performance I desire, I'll stick where I am.

I reckon that's the end of my list... ;)
Well as I say, that's the usual way people first think about it, including myself not much more than a year ago. Then you realise it's nowhere near as bad as you thought it was and there are some massive benefits too, but I'm not going to bore you with those. Having experienced both sides of the coin I'm certainly not going back to an ICE car in future. I accept there are issues for those who are unable to charge at home, but if you can the rest is easy (at least it is with a Tesla).
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm I saw on Apple News that Which has done an ICE v EV ‘greenest’ comparison. Has anyone read it?
No, but it's been compared to death by many other far more prestigious academic organisations and the conclusions are pretty clear.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

If you live and drive around the NE to SE corridor then EV makes sense, albeit the cars are serious money at the moment.

Elsewhere it's less attractive.
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm If you live and drive around the NE to SE corridor then EV makes sense, albeit the cars are serious money at the moment.

The only place I would think twice about owning a Tesla is Wales and only then if I was constantly driving up and down the Welsh coast. Everywhere else is fine with a few thin spots, like around the New Forest area. But that's only if sticking strictly to Tesla chargers.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am The only place I would think twice about owning a Tesla is Wales and only then if I was constantly driving up and down the Welsh coast. Everywhere else is fine with a few thin spots, like around the New Forest area. But that's only if sticking strictly to Tesla chargers.
There are other areas too though like Norfolk & Suffolk (OK, one near Thetford but that's just one within a reasonably large region). Slightly surprising that Chelsea-near-the-sea second home owners in N/NW Norfolk didn't get more of a look-in - maybe that's planned in the next phase of SC roll-out? Otherwise presumably you have to fall back on CHAdeMO adapters?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am
Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm If you live and drive around the NE to SE corridor then EV makes sense, albeit the cars are serious money at the moment.

The only place I would think twice about owning a Tesla is Wales and only then if I was constantly driving up and down the Welsh coast. Everywhere else is fine with a few thin spots, like around the New Forest area. But that's only if sticking strictly to Tesla chargers.
Tesla super chargers a bit thin on the ground here in Ireland, north or south. Still the land on the black pump i think.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Paul

Post by Paul »

Back to the Diesel theme, I stumbled accross this poem by W H Auden earlier (can’t recall which thread I was chasing down😊)

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Don’t necessarily subscribe - but quite clever.....given when it was first written
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465