Noisy EVs

The place to discuss everything else..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just seen a piece on TV (French) saying that from nowish all EVs must emit a noise from zero to 30 kph (over 30 kph the tyres make enough road noise)

It seems you’re 20% more likely to have an EV vs Pedestrian bump in town than a traditional ICE vs pedestrian😱 (not sure where those stats come from)

Euro legislators are now pushing the manufacturer sound engineers to create “starship enterprise” style whooshes!😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I believe they’ve been discussing this for some tine now. Should be applicable to push bikes too 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So long as you can install Ice Cream Van or Magic Roundabout sounds, it should be ok.

And use GPS to switch to Ivor the Engine when you go to Wales.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

goron59 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm So long as you can install Ice Cream Van or Magic Roundabout sounds, it should be ok.

:lol: :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good idea. Pedestrians don't expect to be run over by a silent vehicle.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

What about the sound of rattling milk bottles in metal crates? Take me right back to the 60s that would. Never once got run over by a Milk Float when I were a lad!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Round where I live, people are always being hit, or near hit by idiot cyclists who think they're Bradly fucking Wiggins. So silent vehicles are nothing new, and at least the cars are travelling slower and have a reasonable ability to stop if you step in front of them.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col M

Post by Col M »

goron59 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm So long as you can install Ice Cream Van or Magic Roundabout sounds, it should be ok.

Man l would truck through town to Captain Pugwash... and when the Royal Mail goes EV :D
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think it would be better to have some sort of secondary pedestrian horn that you could use when some halfwit stepped in front of your car without bothering to look. Could even be an automated alarm if the vehicle can detect pedestrians, which some can. But can't say I've had a problem with pedestrians so far, certainly haven't run any over yet! Darwinian evolution would take care of hoodies and mobile phone junkies!

I think the main effect of this new regulation will be to encourage EV drivers to get over 30 kph as quickly as possible. It's not a very well thought out piece of legislation.

The new regulation doesn't apply to existing EV models either, only new models being released in the near future. Think the e-tron, Taycan and Merc might get caught by it. I think the iPace might have just escaped, although manufacturers may start fitting them to existing models.