Noisy EVs

The place to discuss everything else..
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am I think it would be better to have some sort of secondary pedestrian horn that you could use when some halfwit stepped in front of your car without bothering to look. Could even be an automated alarm if the vehicle can detect pedestrians, which some can. But can't say I've had a problem with pedestrians so far, certainly haven't run any over yet! Darwinian evolution would take care of hoodies and mobile phone junkies!

I think the main effect of this new regulation will be to encourage EV drivers to get over 30 kph as quickly as possible. It's not a very well thought out piece of legislation.

The new regulation doesn't apply to existing EV models either, only new models being released in the near future. Think the e-tron, Taycan and Merc might get caught by it. I think the iPace might have just escaped, although manufacturers may start fitting them to existing models.
Perhaps just wind the window down and cough politely :D

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Or get a bell like a bike or an old-fashioned horn with the squeeze end.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I wonder what it will be - hopefully not something like those bloody annoying Beep-beep-beeps that commercial vehicles emit when reversing.

I once lived in a quiet cul-de-sac. A milkman used to pull up past our house to a neighbour every morning at about 5 to deliver the milk. Then he would reverse back down the hill with his beep-beep-beeps going flat out. Bloody nuisance, especially when it was downhill. More so in summer when we sleep with the windows open. Woke the whole street up. I went out one morning and asked him if he could possibly roll the milk float back down the hill without engaging the reverse gear as it was noisy. "Never thought about that before, mate" he said. Peace and quiet ever after that.

Now if EVs get something like that, everyone will be annoyed by the neighbours, especially if they start work early.
Macan S D
718 S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Perhaps a clicking noise, as was used on D-Day. Or would that be racist?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

You folks have it all wrong.

An EV needs to sound like a V8 with Lake Pipe exhausts going through a tunnel.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Maybe a motorcycle in front waving a red flag. 🙄
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

And what’s happening with motorbikes? No noise or emissions campaign for them.

Sorry Col!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Col M wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am
goron59 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm So long as you can install Ice Cream Van or Magic Roundabout sounds, it should be ok.

And use GPS to switch to Ivor the Engine when you go to Wales.
Man l would truck through town to Captain Pugwash... and when the Royal Mail goes EV :D
Oh Capt Pugwash would be awesome!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Paul

Post by Paul »

👍

or...does anyone else remember “Rhubarb & Custard” from ‘70s kids TV?

That was a theme tune!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Paul wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:30 pm 👍

or...does anyone else remember “Rhubarb & Custard” from ‘70s kids TV?

That was a theme tune!
I think more of us on here would have more chance remembering the Bill and Ben tune lol
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50