Why you have (probably) already bought your last car

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 am
johnd wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:21 pm Apologies, a slight thread fork here: Why does the Milton Keynes area appear to have so many rapid chargers? On the Zap-map it looks like there are 40-50 separate charger sites within a 10-15 miles radius of MK. Is MK somehow consciously/deliberately a prototype location for an EV-centred city? Or are there simply a whole lot of EV owners in the area?
I happen to live near MK and can at least confirm that your findings are true. It really is very EV friendly! There is a Tesla showroom in the shopping centre, a Tesla service centre, the new EV experience centre and EV chargers literally everywhere. Also get free parking with an EV. I can only imagine it was some kind of local authority decision to promote EVs. It certainly worked as EVs are very popular in MK!
‘‘Tis indeed interesting to see how some authorities are addressing the issues. In contrast, although I accept that MK probably has an advantage in terms of layout etc., Cheltenham Council, for example, seems intent on diverting private vehicles through suburban streets rather than the town centre whilst doing zero to encourage or promote EVs - eg old taxis, buses, lack of on-street chargers etc.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 am And that very high in the latest car depreciation list are a whole gang of EVs. Clearly the market currently has concerns about the potential obsolescence of the current tech.
Any sign of Tesla in that depreciation list? The Tesla Model S 75D actually made it into the middle of the top 10 slowest depreciating cars last year. Maybe it's just that most other first generation EVs are not actually very desirable?

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/reco ... rs-on-sale

I expect future residuals on the iPace, Taycan, e-tron, etc will also be strong providing they don't have any major issues.
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am
Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 am
johnd wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:21 pm Apologies, a slight thread fork here: Why does the Milton Keynes area appear to have so many rapid chargers? On the Zap-map it looks like there are 40-50 separate charger sites within a 10-15 miles radius of MK. Is MK somehow consciously/deliberately a prototype location for an EV-centred city? Or are there simply a whole lot of EV owners in the area?
I happen to live near MK and can at least confirm that your findings are true. It really is very EV friendly! There is a Tesla showroom in the shopping centre, a Tesla service centre, the new EV experience centre and EV chargers literally everywhere. Also get free parking with an EV. I can only imagine it was some kind of local authority decision to promote EVs. It certainly worked as EVs are very popular in MK!
‘‘Tis indeed interesting to see how some authorities are addressing the issues. In contrast, although I accept that MK probably has an advantage in terms of layout etc., Cheltenham Council, for example, seems intent on diverting private vehicles through suburban streets rather than the town centre whilst doing zero to encourage or promote EVs - eg old taxis, buses, lack of on-street chargers etc.
MK certainly has an ideal layout for EV chargers with lots of large carparks all over the city centre. It would be far more of a challenge in a more traditional town/city centre. MK also has a lot of surrounding large and relatively affluent housing estates with plenty of driveways suitable for home charging. It's close to the ideal scenario for a large scale switch to EVs and I already see far more EVs in MK than anywhere else I visit. Anyone living there and seeing all the free EV parking everywhere is likely to consider one sooner or later.
johnd

Post by johnd »

The one thing that did strike me as a little odd about the CCS chargers around ML (many of them Polar IIRC) was that they seem to be just single stall. Wonder what the thinking there was? If you're going to the trouble/cost of building a charging site then why not double them, at least, as most other sites seem to do.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm
Dandock wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 am And that very high in the latest car depreciation list are a whole gang of EVs. Clearly the market currently has concerns about the potential obsolescence of the current tech.
Any sign of Tesla in that depreciation list? The Tesla Model S 75D actually made it into the middle of the top 10 slowest depreciating cars last year. Maybe it's just that most other first generation EVs are not actually very desirable?

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/reco ... rs-on-sale

I expect future residuals on the iPace, Taycan, e-tron, etc will also be strong providing they don't have any major issues.
No sign of Tesla at either end of the scale. The top end, unsurprisingly for the US are mostly pick-ups whilst bottom of the heap is the Leaf. This followed by the Bolt with the Ford Fusion Energi a couple or three places further up.

I wonder whether Tesla value relates to the waiting lists thus creating more of a S/H demand.

Either way mostly bad news for the those looking to go the EV route. A serious case of when is the best time to jump on the bus.

Re the Taycan I read that Porsche have initially estimated 20K units per year and with many deposits having already been taken there’s a strong feeling that this won’t feed the demand. Will be interesting to see how Porsche react to that: traditionally keeping a cap on numbers or by chasing market share.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm
I wonder whether Tesla value relates to the waiting lists thus creating more of a S/H demand.
There is no waiting list for a Tesla S or X. You can order a custom built one up in 3 months or buy from new inventory stock and be in one next week. Second hand values are holding up very well indeed, not that I particularly care on a PCP with a generous guaranteed min residual (50% over 4 years)

Part of the strong used value is lack of competition I think.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 pm
Dandock wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm
There is no waiting list for a Tesla S or X. You can order a custom built one up in 3 months or buy from new inventory stock and be in one next week. Second hand values are holding up very well indeed, not that I particularly care on a PCP with a generous guaranteed min residual (50% over 4 years)

Part of the strong used value is lack of competition I think.
That’s probably true in the U.K. but seems for their home S/H market that they’re not as valued. Is it that at their price points the market wants new?