EVs uneconomic

The place to discuss everything else..
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 am
Dandock wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am The head of R&D at BMW has said, in Paris, that with battery packs costing £25,000 and no sign of them getting cheaper - in fact the reverse - EVs will never be cheap and that ICEs will always be significantly cheaper to make!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/20 ... rs-petrol/

I’m guessing this is likely to remain as the situation until significantly cheaper (and lighter) battery tech comes along. Lighter but equally or most robust materials would also help. Lots of challenges ahead then and maybe a divided motoring world.
This BMW guy is so far off the mark you have to wonder how he got to be in that job in the first place! BMW are currently all over the place with their EV programs and you have to wonder whether they will even survive long term! I presume he also hasn't Googled the current cost of a Tesla Model 3 battery either :lol:

In other news, Autocar are reporting that BMW are aiming to set new EV benchmarks with their upcoming i4. Maybe they are aiming to have the world's most expensive battery?
Although I haven't got a clue what is correct, I think the article is talking about Australian Dollars, so he may be closer to the truth.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Guy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 am
Dandock wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am The head of R&D at BMW has said, in Paris, that with battery packs costing £25,000 and no sign of them getting cheaper - in fact the reverse - EVs will never be cheap and that ICEs will always be significantly cheaper to make!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/20 ... rs-petrol/

I’m guessing this is likely to remain as the situation until significantly cheaper (and lighter) battery tech comes along. Lighter but equally or most robust materials would also help. Lots of challenges ahead then and maybe a divided motoring world.
This BMW guy is so far off the mark you have to wonder how he got to be in that job in the first place! BMW are currently all over the place with their EV programs and you have to wonder whether they will even survive long term! I presume he also hasn't Googled the current cost of a Tesla Model 3 battery either :lol:

In other news, Autocar are reporting that BMW are aiming to set new EV benchmarks with their upcoming i4. Maybe they are aiming to have the world's most expensive battery?
Although I haven't got a clue what is correct, I think the article is talking about Australian Dollars, so he may be closer to the truth.
Good point, but he's still way off the mark and future costs are certainly coming down for those who are serious about making EVs. His comments don't make a lot of sense and certainly show little or no foresight.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

CORRECTION! My keystroke error (stirred the pot though)... the cost mentioned by BMWman was $25000. As its an Aussie article it could be that they're referring to the Aussie $ which would make the figure £13500. A bit closer but still way above Tesla's
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Beamer guy needs to be fired for incomptence.

If Tesla can offer a prelacement battery pack for $12,000 then BMW is way off the mark.

Think about the sheer number of different engines that BMW offer, then for an EV its dead simple two or three different motors and say three different battery packs.

By far a more simple system to install if designed correctly, like the Tesla Model 3 with its electric drive and suspension on a sub frame that would easily transpose from model to model.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Guy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 am Oooh great! Another EV thread! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

His comments on the cost of Cobalt are a bit misleading too as batteries are using less and less of it and probably none in the long term. I think Tesla batteries are already down to around 3% Cobalt. Maybe BMW need to look into alternative battery sourcing?