24 Hours in a......Cayman GTS....The Review

The place to discuss everything else..
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

The Story
We collected our first over Porsche back in July (Macan GTS) to complement our Audi TTS (Mk3) as a practical car and so we arent fighting over the car. Move forward to October and the TTS is coming up to 2 years old and it's the right time to replace it before it has too many miles on it and is in excellent condition. We had pretty much already decided on a Cayman after having a weekend in a brand new Cayman S PDK which Mac at OPC Silverstone very kindly arranged for us earlier in the year.

After a few discussions around spec on a Cayman GTS, Mac at OPC Silverstone suggested we try their Cayman GTS demonstator for 24 hours, sufficed to say it didnt take long for us to agree, so we left the TTS at Silverstone Friday and picked up the Cayman to see if in this spec it was right for us.

The Car and Spec
2018 Cayman GTS Manual
Sapphire Blue
Wheels in satin platinum
SPASM (-10mm drop)
PCCB
Sports Design Kit Painted
Carbon Bucket Seats
GTS Interior Pack
Carbon Trim
Carbon Door Sills
Painted Door Handles
Painted Side Vents
Tinted Rear Lights
LED Headlights
Cruise Control
Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Comfort Light Pack
BOSE

Weather wasn't great so car was filthy, if we had the car longer I probably would of washed it...even though its a demo car :lol:

The Review
As we had already been in a Cayman S we were more focused on some of the specific items specced on the car and whether these would carry over on to our spec, these were the PCCB and Bucket Seats. We were apprehensive about the manual having used autos for so long now.

I had always heard feedback about how comfy the bucket seats were once in but actually difficult to get in and out of. I found that actually they were not that difficult to climb in and out of but I can see over time the leather on the sides wearing due to almost having to slide over them to get in. We were also concerned they would be too low for the missus as she is quite short...however this was not the case and they were perfect at the height they are set. On a long run I found them no more comfy than the sports plus seats you get as standard. The car would not be used everyday and would also do the odd track day so I think thats a tick in the box for this one.

Once in and moving I got a taste of the manual for the first time, the first thing striking me was how heavy the clutch was which I could see becoming tiresome in traffic. The gear change itself is great with short and direct movement between gears. Because the new engine also has a lot of torque you do not need to change gear often and can quite happily leave it in 5th and 6th when on the move and use the torque to move you along. When your 'on it' the gearbox is great and really adds to the enjoyment of the car, in sports and sports+ modes you also get auto blip on downshift which is great. We came away thinking we could actually potentially live with the manual but still aren't decided. It also saves 2K on the spec which can go towards buckets or PCCB which is another plus, not to mention the 25kg weight saving.

The next thing to notice in the GTS was how much louder (and tone change) it seemed over the Cayman S (both had sports exhaust), I believe that the GTS has different headers and intake which could contribute to that but it was definatly louder than a Cayman S. Personally I didnt mid the tone of the flat 4 and you get some great pops and bangs on downshifts, I wasnt sure whether having the manual gearbox contributed to the increase in pops and bangs, perhaps someone can comment?

POWARRRR....yes the GTS has plenty of it and felt faster than the Audi TTS (which it should). In the slippy conditions weve had this weekend it certainly makes for an entertaining drive.

Finally the Cayman GTS party piece.....handling! Such balance and poise, you can place it exactly where you want it and the car rotates very nicely around bends but is never scary. We had I would say a track focussed spec, with the buckets, carbons, manual and SPASM so this just made the car feel that more driver focussed. Hands down one of the best handling cars i've driven...and that includes some race cars! The ride quality was good too and no more stiff/bouncy than the Audi TTS.

Overall the Cayman GTS is a fantastic sports car and one we will be looking to order very soon. I'm just unsure still on whether to spec the buckets and manual or go abit 'softer' with the sports plus 18 ways and PDK....both options are very good...perhaps having the car for a week longer may help sway that decision, are you listening Mac ;) ;)

I will post up our proposed spec shortly, in the meantime hope you enjoyed the read.

Big thanks to Mac @ OPC Silverstone for arranging the car and letting us burn a full tank of fuel in the process :D :D

steve w

Post by steve w »

Gonzo0
Nice write up pleased that you enjoyed the Cayman,personally imo the 18 way seats are a little ott I’ve had them and didn’t use most of the functions once the Seat has been adjusted to how you want it and for me it would be PDK box every time,have you thought/tried a 911 over a Cayman we recently bought a 911 991.2 C4S and it’s fantastic.
SteveW
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

Thanks for comments Steve.

Both PDK and manual are great...PDK being more practical.

While a 911 would be lovely...for what we would want on a spec its too far out of budget...were looking at 75k tops really.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good, detailed write-up, thanks.

All the more intersting for me as our next change (albeit in a couple of years yet) will be out of our TTS (roadster) into maybe, a Boxster GTS (definitely PDK😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Thanks for the write up Gonzo0. I can't wait to get my mitts on the new arrival.

PDK for me, practicality for a daily driver. Our second car is a manual. Lots of fun but I'm in too many traffic jams to enjoy the manual during the hours crawling along, barely in first gear.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice write up, Gonzo! :)

How come the cars have matching plates, if the Macan is yours and the Cayman is a loaner?

Porsche may have decided on the transmission for you. The Cayman and Cayman GTS can only now be specced with PDK. And I heard (on Rennlist) that the Cayman S can’t currently be ordered, but I’m sure that your OPC will confirm the true situation.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

The Macan is ours and is from Silverstone...the Cayman is also from silverstone.

They were both registered around the same time i believe. I think a load of KT18 WO registrations were allocated to the dealership.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ah, thanks! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Would be PDK for me all the way (personal preference and convenience for daily driving) and I certainly wouldn't bother with PCCBs for track or road (how long do you intend to keep this car anyway, another 2 years like the Audi or much longer?). Buckets I would only ever consider for a dedicated track day car. I do really like the Cayman, but not so much the new 4-pot engines.