Carrera T on winter wheels/tyres.

The place to discuss everything else..
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

steve w wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 pm Tyre manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with glee ,it’s clever marketing by them,never changed my tyres for winter in all my long years and don’t intend to now,just adjust my driving to the weather and temperatures as required .
SteveW
For the Uk climate that may well be, aside from a few days/ weeks a year. For other parts, Scandiavia and Central/Northern Europe not only a must but the law, seen several incidents where Southern European HGV's caught out by the sudden change in road conditions early in the season, albeit the locals also adopt their driving style. Still wouldn't want to be caught out in a 911 in the snow.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Looks great Wing :) ! I love the colour.
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hitman999 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:39 am Looks great Wing :) ! I love the colour.
Cheers, Hitman! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

steve w wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 pm Tyre manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with glee ,it’s clever marketing by them,never changed my tyres for winter in all my long years and don’t intend to now,just adjust my driving to the weather and temperatures as required .
SteveW
Hi Steve,

This is the first car that I’ve fitted winter tyres to.

I’ve been educated by several learned colleagues on this forum. Taking a look at some comparative videos online can be quite educational too. The fitting of winter tyres, to replace normal/summer tyres makes far more difference than that between a 2wd and a 4wd car.

We all make our own choices.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

Most people who have never tried winter tyres often assume these tyres only apply to "wintry conditions" i.e. snow.. Yes, the difference in using winter tyres in the snow as opposed to summer tyres is an eye opener, IF of course you know "how" to drive on snow.. but it's how these tyres perform in dry and wet cold conditions where there are startling performance differences in traction, braking distances and levels of lateral grip. It's all good and well adjusting your driving style to suit the conditions, but that doesn't eliminate getting caught out in split second situations where you're required to take evasive and avoiding action where ultimately a good winter tyre could make all the difference between having and not having an accident..
The notion that it's simply "clever marketing" on the part of tyre manufacturers, is inaccurate, sorry. I've always regarded using winter tyres as a responsible thing to do to ensure my car is fit for purpose with a view to maximising not only my own safety, but also to take into consideration the safety of other road users and pedestrians too. That's my honest opinion. Personally I don't feel "safe" using summer tyres in winter. Perhaps it's because I spent the first 25 years of my life on the near continent where using winter tyres is common place... If you've never tried them, you'll never know how much difference they actually make. Each to their own of course.

cheers,

Cowan
p.s. I'm sure there was a long thread on this subject a few years back..
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
VanB

Post by VanB »

Winter tyres are most definitely a revelation but they don't stop other road users driving like pratts in difficult conditions and it is them that are still the biggest danger out there in the winter!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

VanB wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 am Winter tyres are most definitely a revelation but they don't stop other road users driving like pratts in difficult conditions and it is them that are still the biggest danger out there in the winter!
Totally agree, but at least us winter tyre converts stand a better chance of avoiding them ;)
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Simon, what are your initial impressions of the winter tyres, noise levels and their performance compared to your OE summer tyres?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Steve.

I've only done about 110 miles on them so far. (Trip to Kent was postponed until next weekend.) To be honest, in my brief acquaintance with the winter tyres so far, I've not detected any noticeable differences. The temperatures have been above 7 degrees the whole time, so not yet really the right conditions to see the benefits. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive to the finer differences in noise & grip?! Certainly hoping to feel more secure on the road once the temperatures drop...

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

Ahhh winter tyres....

...reminds me when I used to drive my Mk1 Focus RS through winter on Semi Slick track tyres....still managed to survive.

The biggest thing people can do in winter is...drive to the conditions.

Get some Gtechniq C5 on those wheels WC, will keep them nice and protected over winter with only the need to powerwash them now and again..