Bodywork scratch - advice appreciated.

The place to discuss everything else..
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Just trade it in for a Litchfield.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 pm Can't see that being a smart repair as it would never go back to a perfect finish. Full bumper respray required.
Hi MCDK,

You feel confident that a full bumper respray would be required, despite the fact that the damage is only 3.5cm in length (as stated above)?

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Smart repairs can do amazing things so I wouldn’t rule it out. At a Porsche body shop you are likely looking at a new bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm Smart repairs can do amazing things so I wouldn’t rule it out. At a Porsche body shop you are likely looking at a new bumper.
Now a new bumper?!? :shock:
Simon

VanB

Post by VanB »

Because the cut goes through the surface of the bumper (and quite deep by the looks of things) a Porsche body shop would doubtless recommend a replacement. Totally unnecessary in my view BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

No need for a new bumper as the plastic can be repaired but it will need a full respray I would be pretty sure. More money for sure but will leave it a perfect repair you are happy with. £400 should do the job.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

No need for a new bumper as the plastic can be repaired but it will need a full respray I would be pretty sure. More money for sure but will leave it a perfect repair you are happy with. £400 should do the job.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Very annoying from some jealous low life. To buck the trend here - you can get it repaired to a high standard (at high cost) but unless you can be confident where it was done and avoid that place, isn't there just a high chance of it happening again? I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money repairing it unless I was confident that I could avoid the place where it had happened in the future. And even a less-than-perfect smart repair will probably only be visible to you.
So I would look at a smart repair and see what they say they can do. Very depressing that people act like this though.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Ian. Good points.

I’m definitely leaning towards the smart repair route. I’m confident that a nearly perfect repair will do. Especially as the car is a daily driver and not a garage queen, so bound to pick up a few nicks & chips here and there, doing 15k to 16k miles per year.

Being only 3.5cm in length, you actually need to be quite close to the car to see the damage, so I feel I’d be happy with a smart repair for say a third of the cost of a full bumper respray.

As to where the damage was inflicted, there is no way of being sure. Just hope it wasn’t while it was parked outside my house! :shock:
Simon

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Simon so sorry to hear this.

Some jealous low life out there.

I had a smart repair done about 5 years ago on a deep scratch around the size of a 50p.
I asked how good it would look once finished and the guy told me 99% but if you look for it you may see it.
Well once he finished I could not tell. The best bit is 3 years later no matter how much I looked I still could not see it.
It’s only as good as the individual not necessarily the company that does it. Cost was around £140 from memory.

It’s worth getting a smart repair company out to take a look and get a feee quote and ask them will it look perfect. They should give you an honest answer.

Otherwise a respray.
For me it would have to look perfect or almost otherwise it would bug me so any extra cost to get it as good as new is worth it on a car like this.

Let us know how you get on.
GTS 😀