Why spelling matters

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 pm
happy days wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm There's a FB group called 'The Redundant Proof Readers Society'. Some hilarious gaffes on there.

Should there be an apostrophe after 'Readers' ? ;) :P :)
https://w

Nope. None of the FB page. (I actually checked)... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan S D
718 S

Paul

Post by Paul »

😊 so, a society of many out of work proof readers as opposed to a society belonging to an out of work proof reader?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm 😊 so, a society of many out of work proof readers as opposed to a society belonging to an out of work proof reader?
Either way, there should be a ‘possessive’ apostrophe. :geek:

Reader’s (singular) or Readers’ (plural). ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Bang on the money, WingCo. Personally, I think the spelling and grammar that I see everywhere today is appalling and it really doesn't take too much effort to ensure that our written communications are, if not error-free, then at least up to a reasonable standard.

I do totally understand that dashing off a quick post on here is likely to come with typos but, even then, they should be minimal.

There is a great website plugin for those not gifted with great spelling or grammar ability called Grammarly which highlights your errors as you type. It's also free so worth a shot for anyone who would like to improve their written words.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:39 pm
Paul wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm 😊 so, a society of many out of work proof readers as opposed to a society belonging to an out of work proof reader?
Either way, there should be a ‘possessive’ apostrophe. :geek:

Reader’s (singular) or Readers’ (plural). ;)
Use (and abuse) of apostrophes is a minefield. In my humble opinion there should be no apostrophe in this instance: Out of Work Proofreaders Society is the name of a Society. Mind you, a 1961 GCE "O" level in English Language does not make me an expert. :)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
VanB

Post by VanB »

As it is a society of proofreaders I believe an apostrophe is required in order to be grammatically correct but hey, who gives a shit anyway?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
abcya

Post by abcya »

"The brand name of the sleek black German SUV, which costs between $94,000 and $240,000..." What $ are those? Maybe the Daily Mail should update their exchange rate? £187k (at 1.28) means ticking a LOT of options??
brains1900

Post by brains1900 »

Aussie dollars?
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It’s all about trust!

Early in my first career in graphic design the agency I worked for did work for the DITB (Distributive Industrtries Training Board). One of the jobs we did was career guides. We were doing one for Retail and one section was devoted to Lingerie. It began with a mini-history which, like all sections, had been written by an industry expert.

So, the copy was written and went to client for approval. After comments it was amended, ultimately approved and came back to us and then sent to the typesetter (way before computers so set in metal by hand). Proofs were taken, were critted by the agency, amended, re-set etc. This was done ‘x’ times including to client and the same process.

Ultimately the artwork was done and sent to client and then printers proofs. Again ‘x’ times to and from. Eventually the booklet was printed and distributed. Please bear in mind that this production had at this stage been read and reread dozens of times by agency and client.

A few days later the office phone rang and the exec answering listened and then turned grey! The Sun had got hold of a copy. It appeared the expert writer had, for whatever reason, gone off on one and written something along the lines of...

‘Contrary to popular belief the brassiere was not evented by the Frenchman, Henry de Brassiere, but had, in fact, been developed a few years earlier by the German, Otto Titzling!’

Like The Rockman said ‘you see what you want to see’.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

abcya wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:23 pm "The brand name of the sleek black German SUV, which costs between $94,000 and $240,000..." What $ are those? Maybe the Daily Mail should update their exchange rate? £187k (at 1.28) means ticking a LOT of options??
It's Aussie dollars. All "luxury" cars are stupidly priced. You can thank import duties and a ridiculous "luxury car tax" which was implemented to protect the local car industry but never removed when every last factory shuttered its doors. You can thank union perks for that nugget.