California road trip

The place to discuss everything else..
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Adding to above...

Stay in Carmel and see Pebble Beach golf course from the other side, and do the 17 Mile drive for a day.
Hearst Castle also worth a visit.

For ideas about Nappa Valley watch the film "Sideways". Hilarious IMO.

And if you must drive a Porsche :lol: :lol: try this...

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche- ... ornia-tour
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

We have toured the west cost extensively - so much to see and do. If you're in LA do try to fit in a a day at Universal Studios for example. Not a big fan of central LA and San Diego, but the Californian coast and country with lots of small towns are worth exploring all the way to San Francisco, especially along Highway 1.

Here's an offer that runs to 30 June 2019:
https://www.wowcher.co.uk/email-deals/t ... id=1868709

Personally i like the states of Oregon and Washington best for their rugged beauty. You can fly to / from Seattle or Vancouver if you want to do your own Grand Tour. Do plan in advance the key places / sights that you want to visit as distances are vast.....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am We have toured the west cost extensively - so much to see and do. If you're in LA do try to fit in a a day at Universal Studios for example. Not a big fan of central LA and San Diego, but the Californian coast and country with lots of small towns are worth exploring all the way to San Francisco, especially along Highway 1.

Personally i like the states of Oregon and Washington best for their rugged beauty. You can fly to / from Seattle or Vancouver if you want to do your own Grand Tour. Do plan in advance the key places / sights that you want to visit as distances are vast.....
We're thinking of doing this in 2020, fly to Seattle and drive down to Las Vegas to fly home from. Take in the coast and go inland for some of the national parks. I will watch this thread. :)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Get a mustang convertible ;)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Semerka wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am We have toured the west cost extensively - so much to see and do. If you're in LA do try to fit in a a day at Universal Studios for example. Not a big fan of central LA and San Diego, but the Californian coast and country with lots of small towns are worth exploring all the way to San Francisco, especially along Highway 1.

We're thinking of doing this in 2020, fly to Seattle and drive down to Las Vegas to fly home from. Take in the coast and go inland for some of the national parks. I will watch this thread. :)
Personally I would do Vancouver rather than Seattle, take in the Coastal mountains and then drive in-land through Interior BC, which is all stunning. But as a keen skier I'm very biased! Seattle and Washington looks pretty good too. Wasn't that keen on LA or Vegas, but those are quite different to the natural stuff.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 am Personally I would do Vancouver rather than Seattle, take in the Coastal mountains and then drive in-land through Interior BC, which is all stunning. But as a keen skier I'm very biased! Seattle and Washington looks pretty good too. Wasn't that keen on LA or Vegas, but those are quite different to the natural stuff.
Yes, LA or Vegas would just serve as a transport hub to fly back home.

Apparently the North Pacific coast is rather stunning.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Semerka wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 am Personally I would do Vancouver rather than Seattle, take in the Coastal mountains and then drive in-land through Interior BC, which is all stunning. But as a keen skier I'm very biased! Seattle and Washington looks pretty good too. Wasn't that keen on LA or Vegas, but those are quite different to the natural stuff.
Yes, LA or Vegas would just serve as a transport hub to fly back home.

Apparently the North Pacific coast is rather stunning.
We once drove to a town called Manchester on Highway 1 north of SF. Miles of empty beaches...fantastic.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not quite a road trip in the true sense but we did Vegas - Mesquite - Zion Park - Monument Valley - Cameron Trading Post (warning “dry” reservation restaurant☹️) - Grand Canyon - Hoover Dam - Vegas.

Two overnights (Mesquite the night we landed and Cameron) so quite alot of driving but spectacular sights.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Apologies for not responding during the input. One of those weeks!

We think we’re minded to look toward roads less travelled whilst fitting in just a limited number box tickers. What these end up being is work in progress. We do definitely though fancy the northern end so Portland looks strong as a starter.
We’ll be looking at the rest as time goes on.

Having done a number of road trips to New England and one to Virginia we’re big fans of US B&Bs and Inns as a friendly way to stay so will certainly looking at that again.

So much to consider and fit in the timeframe!

And thanks to everyone so far.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Funnily enough we've just booked flights to Seattle next summer with the intention of going to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore with a possible side trip to Vancouver so without wanting to hijack this thread would be grateful for any more suggestions in that neck off the woods.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25