EVs bad for the environment?

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm Until I can fill my car's battery within the timeframe it takes to fill my car's petrol tank, and with the same convenience and locations, they will need to pry the keys of my ICE vehicle from my cold, dead, mitts.
When you’re dead, you can be fertiliser, which would be good for the environment (trying to steer it back on topic :-) )
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Paul

Post by Paul »

goron59 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:14 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm Until I can fill my car's battery within the timeframe it takes to fill my car's petrol tank, and with the same convenience and locations, they will need to pry the keys of my ICE vehicle from my cold, dead, mitts.
When you’re dead, you can be fertiliser, which would be good for the environment (trying to steer it back on topic :-) )
Although, ultimately, organic matter ends up as oil (eventually!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
muxty

Post by muxty »

davetronic wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm
muxty

Post by muxty »

This is a typical comment from someone who completely lack experience. 2 years ago I might actually have written the same thing. But having driven 80000+ miles with Tesla all over Europe and compare this with my previous car experience driving all sorts of Porsches and Audis I know I was wrong. You just can't compare a petrol car with an electric car from that point of view. The electric car is most often plugged in while you do something else.

And all those days (actually most days) there is nothing better than jumping into a fully charged car every morning and never have to worry about how much petrol there is in the tank.

Then we have a lot of other benefits. The car is always temperated to 22 degrees independent if I have parked it at the beach in the hot sun for 10 hours not plugged-in. I just turn on the Cooler 10 minutes before I need to jump in my car and can jump into a cool car. During winter time the opposite is due and I jump into a car with a warm steering wheel, a warm heated seat and a cabin pre-heated to 22 degrees. And as a bonus, when I sit in the car on idle I can always have the AC ON. In a petrol car you need to have the engine running to accomplish the same thing. Just overall a great benefit with electric cars where the big battery can make sure the cabin is always having the desired temperature, independent of outside temperature and where the car is parked (plugged in or not).
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

muxty wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 pm
This is a typical comment from someone who completely lack experience. 2 years ago I might actually have written the same thing. But having driven 80000+ miles with Tesla all over Europe and compare this with my previous car experience driving all sorts of Porsches and Audis I know I was wrong. You just can't compare a petrol car with an electric car from that point of view. The electric car is most often plugged in while you do something else.

And all those days (actually most days) there is nothing better than jumping into a fully charged car every morning and never have to worry about how much petrol there is in the tank.

Then we have a lot of other benefits. The car is always temperated to 22 degrees independent if I have parked it at the beach in the hot sun for 10 hours not plugged-in. I just turn on the Cooler 10 minutes before I need to jump in my car and can jump into a cool car. During winter time the opposite is due and I jump into a car with a warm steering wheel, a warm heated seat and a cabin pre-heated to 22 degrees. And as a bonus, when I sit in the car on idle I can always have the AC ON. In a petrol car you need to have the engine running to accomplish the same thing. Just overall a great benefit with electric cars where the big battery can make sure the cabin is always having the desired temperature, independent of outside temperature and where the car is parked (plugged in or not).
All well and good, but you pay a hefty premium in vehicle costs to get the benefits you outline with a Tesla. Maybe a Hyundai is a better all-round proposition given its better real world range.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Wonderful! Until I am satisfied that I can charge the car with the same convenience as I can fill my ICE vehicle with fuel, I reiterate my statement.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Well, whilst we’re staying off topic, this is fun.
https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/ ... 41522.html

Quoting Lewis Hamilton (who I don’t like much as he’s sooo far removed from reality)
The gasses we emit with our cars are not particularly helpful, so on one side that's a concern but on the other side, I'm a petrol head.

I hope at least in my time it's always going to be a fuel car with at least some sort of V-shaped engine with some sort of sound.
Max Verstappen, who I do have a lot of time for:
Max Verstappen agrees with Hamilton, insisting he will be one of the people vying to "buy the last barrels of oil in the world".
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Interesting piece on the Kona Electric (UK review). Step change in efficiency perhaps?

Funny about naming :)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Macananon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 pm All well and good, but you pay a hefty premium in vehicle costs to get the benefits you outline with a Tesla. Maybe a Hyundai is a better all-round proposition given its better real world range.
The Hyundai is very efficient and a very sensible choice of relatively mundane daily transport. But a) it doesn't have more real world range than most Teslas and b) it certainly doesn't have anywhere near the performance! It would be like comparing a Macan Turbo against a VW Tiguan diesel except running costs would be a lot higher for the Macan. One of the inherent advantages of a performance EV is that running costs are barely any higher than a low powered EV. Tesla list prices are high, but historically finance has been very cheap and guaranteed residuals high. I'm paying a lot less (at least £2-300 per month less) for my Model X than I would for an equivalent XC90, Q7 or Cayenne before even considering running costs at all. It made the decision very easy in the end and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 am

Wonderful! Until I am satisfied that I can charge the car with the same convenience as I can fill my ICE vehicle with fuel, I reiterate my statement.
Well for me it's a lot more convenient charging my car than having to drive to a filling station. Charging at home is zero hassle and charging on the road at superchargers is a much nicer experience than visiting a typical filling station. You just plug it in, stretch your legs, perhaps have a coffee and take a pee and then it's done without having to pay any attention to the actual charging process and there is nothing to pay. Not having to fill up in the freezing cold and then queue up to pay £70 behind the usual bunch of sloths is one of the enlightening things about moving to an EV after all these years :D

Your "statement" is what most people say before they own an EV and then afterward they quickly realise how relatively unimportant charge times really are. Especially Tesla owners with access to the supercharger network. The public charging network on the other hand still looks a bit grim, not that I've experienced it first hand.