Porsche 992. Starting to lust...

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:14 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 pm You may have detected that I'm no fan of PS+ and think it is for the feeble or disabled. Steering should have some weight and feel to it. With the Macan I thought it was weighted just right for the car and with the 911 it feels perfect even if some may find it a little on the heavy side.
Do you realise that at road going speeds the steering weight is the same in a PS+ Macan and a non PS+ Macan?
Funnily enough yes I do
:lol: :lol: ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

My 911 3.0 SC could do with PS+
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

The "life's to short" attitude to adding extras has been used to justify "man maths" here many times before. Nothing wrong with adding what ever you fancy to your car, but it is easy to get carried away. After reading many threads and getting some great advice on extras before, I personally I came to the conclusion that 10% and no more was a sensible amount to spend. Enough to get a few nice things that make me smile that I might like and use, but not too much to have me crying when I have to right the cost off come change time. Personal anything more is just wasted money that wont be available to spend on something new in a couple of years. If I had limitless funds or this was to be my last car ever then certainly the tick all boxes option would be lovely. I sadly don't have limitless funds and thankfully have ambitions to change a few more time yet so try my best to keep the man maths under control. Second hand values of Porsches will have a value, a bit less for poverty spec cars and very little more for a all boxes ticked version. I cant think of one extra that will return full value two years down the road so only add what you want and let the next owner take it or leave it.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
VanB

Post by VanB »

Totally agree with your thinking Rab and a very sensible approach which I will be trying to stick too as well. Certainly managed to on the 911 but over specced the Macan GTS a little but got away with it because of the factory shut down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Rab J wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 am The "life's to short" attitude to adding extras has been used to justify "man maths" here many times before. Nothing wrong with adding what ever you fancy to your car, but it is easy to get carried away. After reading many threads and getting some great advice on extras before, I personally I came to the conclusion that 10% and no more was a sensible amount to spend. Enough to get a few nice things that make me smile that I might like and use, but not too much to have me crying when I have to right the cost off come change time. Personal anything more is just wasted money that wont be available to spend on something new in a couple of years. If I had limitless funds or this was to be my last car ever then certainly the tick all boxes option would be lovely. I sadly don't have limitless funds and thankfully have ambitions to change a few more time yet so try my best to keep the man maths under control. Second hand values of Porsches will have a value, a bit less for poverty spec cars and very little more for a all boxes ticked version. I cant think of one extra that will return full value two years down the road so only add what you want and let the next owner take it or leave it.
I always consider the opportunity cost and quite frankly a lot of options don't stand up very well to that simple test! Option pricing is often quite ridiculous for bits of paint, trim, highlight colours, etc. Things you probably wouldn't even notice if you were looking at a used example. I put more value on options that add safety, real world performance or comfort.

Maybe we just don't have enough cash to splash on all the over-priced trivia :lol:
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Life is not as short as you think! Even if you're a cantankerous old git in your 60s, you've still got a good few years in you yet.

But buying something you know you don't really like/want, or not as good as it could be, because you think it will cost you a few quid on resale is rather bewildering to me. Unless you get most of your kicks out of getting a bargain... but then why cross the threshold of the Porsche dealership in the first place? Peer pressure maybe. Badge snobbery is rife. "Green creds" snobbery rife too.

But so long as it makes you happy and you're not hurting anyway, do as you please :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Watching some press videos of the 992 2S from yesterday.

My JWW is good as it highlights at 3'40 that the engine is 20cm farther forward than it used to be.
Makes it almost mid-engined :)

Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm Watching some press videos of the 992 2S from yesterday.

My JWW is good as it highlights at 3'40 that the engine is 20cm farther forward than it used to be.
Makes it almost mid-engined :)
Interesting. I wonder what the front/rear weight distribution actually is now. The 911 in its various forms has always been close to 40/60%, compared to the typical 45/55% of a mid-engined car. There are pros and cons of both depending on intended usage. I would expect the 992 is somewhere in the middle, but probably still closer to the 40/60 split. Maybe the 992 4WD variants will be getting very close to 45/55?
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I suspect it's just a packaging thing so not really 20cm forward. And the 40:60 split only tells part of the story. That's the axle weight distribution, but it doesn't tell you where the weight actually is. A proper mid-engined car will have its weight between the axles, whereas the 911 typically has it beyond, so you get this horrible double pendulum effect. Generations of enthusiasts have been conditioned to think this is a good thing though :)
VanB

Post by VanB »

I believe that the 911 engine has been ahead of the rear axle since the 991.1 although I may, indeed be wrong
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate