Porsche 992. Starting to lust...

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Spot on, VanB.

Am not finding brake dust too much of an issue. PCCBs would have been more of an aesthetic choice (yes, I admit that) but nearly £6k is just not sensible or justifiable for me.

The T I drove at PEC had PCCBs and I couldn’t really detect a difference to the standard (and already very good) brakes.

I’m sure that RAS is clever technology, but I don’t think I’m a sensitive/good enough driver to detect much of a benefit.

My T feels very good to me as far as steering goes already, so I’m happy. I didn’t opt for power steering plus, and am glad I didn’t as I like the slightly heavy/meaty steering of my T, compared to a Macan I borrowed recently (with PS+) where the steering felt artificially light.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

VanB

Post by VanB »

You may have detected that I'm no fan of PS+ and think it is for the feeble or disabled. Steering should have some weight and feel to it. With the Macan I thought it was weighted just right for the car and with the 911 it feels perfect even if some may find it a little on the heavy side.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I don’t have PS+ on my Macan and feel that steering weight is more about expectation than ‘strength’. My Caterham doesn’t have anything apart from a pinion and a rack and is 5x heavier at slow speeds than the Macan!

What’s the price of PS+ at order vs retrofit? It’s only a software change so feels like something to live without until you decide you need it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
VanB

Post by VanB »

CharlesElliott wrote:I don’t have PS+ on my Macan and feel that steering weight is more about expectation than ‘strength’. My Caterham doesn’t have anything apart from a pinion and a rack and is 5x heavier at slow speeds than the Macan!

What’s the price of PS+ at order vs retrofit? It’s only a software change so feels like something to live without until you decide you need it.
Agree entirely and a number of our lady members have also confirmed that they are more than happy with the standard steering setup. Pointless expense IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triple7

Post by Triple7 »

The further away from the list price with all the extra options, the more it will hurt when it comes to change. When it comes to Porsche #strikeabalance imho...
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
Ordered: 2019 992 C4S in Jet Black.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Triple7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm The further away from the list price with all the extra options, the more it will hurt when it comes to change. When it comes to Porsche #strikeabalance imho...
Agree completely. Which is why the GTS is considered better value than the S with lots of options added (including both Macan and 911). Similar when comparing Carrera T to ‘base’ Carrera...

...unless, of course, the buyer is happy with an S with none of the GTS options, or happy with a ‘base’ Carrera with few options.

In terms of pure value for money, one could argue that the ‘base’ model with few options gives you the most bang for your buck.
Simon

smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

We could argue about the merits of each and every option until the cows come home. What I would class as essential someone will inevitably dismiss as frivolous.
I read a full 50 odd page thread on 991 GTS must haves on Piston Heads and at the end was none the wiser.
I guess the biggest driving force behind these decisions will be cost. Both at the front end, whilst purchasing, and at the back end when selling (depreciation). His post is clear in that he wants to spend the money. So I say, spend it and don’t regret not tucking the box 6 months after collection.

As for rear steer, I had it on my Cayenne. Optioned it to help the car be maneoverable at low speeds. It was a big car, after all. It was still a pig to maneouver so probably wouldn’t option again as I don’t think it was worth the expense. Glad I tried it though & it will certainly steer me away from buying it again (pun intended). 😂
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Regarding antsjey, yes indeed! Good for him and all strength to his elbow!! 🍺

If I was that bothered about cost/depreciation, I wouldn’t have taken my Macan - 991.1 C2 - Panamera 4 route to get to my beloved T! :oops: :lol: :D
Simon

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 pm You may have detected that I'm no fan of PS+ and think it is for the feeble or disabled. Steering should have some weight and feel to it. With the Macan I thought it was weighted just right for the car and with the 911 it feels perfect even if some may find it a little on the heavy side.
Do you realise that at road going speeds the steering weight is the same in a PS+ Macan and a non PS+ Macan?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 pm You may have detected that I'm no fan of PS+ and think it is for the feeble or disabled. Steering should have some weight and feel to it. With the Macan I thought it was weighted just right for the car and with the 911 it feels perfect even if some may find it a little on the heavy side.
Do you realise that at road going speeds the steering weight is the same in a PS+ Macan and a non PS+ Macan?
Funnily enough yes I do