Tesla Model X Road Trip

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Out of London and onto the M4 I see, literally, 1 supercharger which is on the motorway and for which you do not have to divert. That, for me, is squeeky bum territory if I had an EV!
I don't see any problem heading out of London on the M4 in a Tesla. There are multiple Superchargers at Slough, Reading, Swindon & Bristol if you needed to stop at some point.
There is 1 supercharger on the M4. The rest require you to leave the motorway.
Well they're not exactly miles away, but if that's a major issue for you then I guess you'll just have to carry on sniffing petrol.

Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 am I cannot do either. I commute to the office using public transport. Who actually drives into London to the office and goes to a business meeting in their own EV??! Second, I live in a flat with no local charge points. Lastly, none of my local shopping centers have charging points. Should I change my habits, move, work elsewhere to get that EV feeling?? No. Infrastructure and convenience first please.
I drove into central London a few times in the summer and it was pretty painless in the congestion charge zones. Saw loads of Teslas and other EVs pottering around. I Supercharged at Westfield before heading back home.

But in your shoes living in a flat with no charging facility I probably wouldn't own an EV at this point, although it's not something I've personally had to consider.
Deleted User 1874

muxty wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm You'll all get it if you try it out for some months. I've driven Tesla for 2 years now and have never had range anxiety. I have actually found out that it is much more convenience than driving a petrol car. And this is not a hoax, it's the truth. And honestly... If it would not have been better with EV for me I would have switched to a petrol car in a heart beat. But I've found out that it is the other way around, by testing in real life.
+1

If you have access to home charging then a Tesla is a no-brainer in terms of overall convenience. I say Tesla rather than EVs in general because of their relatively long range, Supercharger and destination charging network. With other EVs charging out on the road is much more hassle and considerably slower, but it will inevitably improve as more EVs come onto the market.

If you don't have access to home charging, then I would imagine EVs are much more of a challenge to live with. But again, this will improve with more local charging options and I sense a great business opportunity looming here.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 am News this morning that VW and Tesco have struck a deal for free (7kW) charging whilst you shop at 2500 charging points in 600 stores. Anything faster to be chargeable. That's 4 per store - not earth-shattering, but a start !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46386858
A bit of a token gesture then, but this is the kind of thing that will become the norm over the next decade. If you drive into Milton Keynes there are charge points literally everywhere you go. Not that I use any of them myself, but they are there for those who need a top up during the day.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

I don't see any problem heading out of London on the M4 in a Tesla. There are multiple Superchargers at Slough, Reading, Swindon & Bristol if you needed to stop at some point.
Well they're not exactly miles away, but if that's a major issue for you then I guess you'll just have to carry on sniffing petrol.
I love sniffing petrol. Nothing better!
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am

:lol: ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Deleted User 1874

I'm sure you do and living in the city gives you plenty of opportunity to enjoy! Actually I must admit I quite like the smell of petrol too if I'm honest, but my lungs much prefer fresh air. My old man suffered with chronic bronchitis from a lifetime in a smog ridden city and that was enough to get my arse out of there asap! Now I find city air pollution almost unbearable and I couldn't possibly imagine living with it on a daily basis. The worst I've experienced was in Japan and China, but London is pretty bad too when you are not used to it.
johnd

Post by johnd »

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am I love sniffing petrol. Nothing better!
Not as nice as Ether though (Diethyl ether that is) for those that have ever worked in a lab. Used to have wash-bottles of it on the bench to help clean/dry eg syringes quickly. Not sure it would really be approved of these days though.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 am

I'm sure you do and living in the city gives you plenty of opportunity to enjoy! Actually I must admit I quite like the smell of petrol too if I'm honest, but my lungs much prefer fresh air. My old man suffered with chronic bronchitis from a lifetime in a smog ridden city and that was enough to get my arse out of there asap! Now I find city air pollution almost unbearable and I couldn't possibly imagine living with it on a daily basis. The worst I've experienced was in Japan and China, but London is pretty bad too when you are not used to it.
Sniffing petrol is not the same as inhaling smog. It's like...sniffing the unctuous odour of a good Cuban cigar v inhaling the putrid smoke. Clearly 2 different things!!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I would only sniff Shell V-power personally 😉😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465